Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles

AZ Day Hikes

New to hiking in AZ. Im looking for some good day hikes around the state. Some trails I can hike in stay the night and hime out. Even possibly multi day hikes. Do t really need anything with trees to hang from, although that would be ideal, because I do have the Tensa4 stand to hang from, as well as the solo conversion kit.

I plan to hike the Havasupai Falls in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Just chiming in to say I'll be checking back with this thread to help me answer the same question as I'll be visiting my daughter in Phoenix soon. I know we'll be doing some stuff up around Flagstaff, but she's new to the area as well and doesn't yet know much about it. I've been glancing at some maps but will be interested in any suggestions on this thread as a way to shortcut my search.
    Thanks.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dream Darien
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Just chiming in to say I'll be checking back with this thread to help me answer the same question as I'll be visiting my daughter in Phoenix soon. I know we'll be doing some stuff up around Flagstaff, but she's new to the area as well and doesn't yet know much about it. I've been glancing at some maps but will be interested in any suggestions on this thread as a way to shortcut my search.
    Thanks.
    My son lives right outside of phoenix and goes to ASU. He goes on day hikes to Camelback Mt. which he said is close to Phoenix. For weekend trips they go north to Sedona which I believe is around 2 hrs away from Phoenix.
    "You can climb any ole mountain once you make up your mind"
    -Hank Jr.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Having lived in the Phoenix area, there are 2 that promptly come to mind.

In the Superstitions, the Peralta Trail up to overlook Weaver's Needle. If doing this in the summer, I'd highly suggest caching water on the way up for retrieval on the way down. Virtually no cover from the sun. There is a shallow cave close to the top that provides shade. Great views and a crowded hike during the cooler months.

The second is outside of Rye, towards Payson, the Barnhardt Trail. Its a beautiful hike with a steam running to your right as you climb. But the reward is a cascading waterfall, hidden back in a short 'crevace' on the left towards the top. If you push to the top, there's a great campsite on the right that overlooks the distant lights of Payson at night.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Top & Under
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Google Todd's desert hiking. Website has a large index of hikes in the southwest, mostly AZ, organized into regions. I have been out here for 10 years and I still start searches for new hikes on Todd's site.

I like the Superstition Wilderness for backpacking and day hikes when the weather is cool and the Mogollon Rim area when the weather is warm (higher elevation and pine forests). The Az Trail passes through both areas and there are multiple options for section hikes.

I stay away form Camelback because I don't like crowds and it's in the middle of the city. It must be popular for a reason, it's just not right for me so don't let that discourage you if you enjoy a social hike.

Havasupai Falls is over run with people and has difficult to get permits that have recently become very expensive. That being said, I spent 3 days there during the last week of November 2018 and it was absolutely worth the hassle and every penny. I would not hesitate to go again.

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry8 View Post
    Google Todd's desert hiking. Website has a large index of hikes in the southwest, mostly AZ, organized into regions. I have been out here for 10 years and I still start searches for new hikes on Todd's site.

I like the Superstition Wilderness for backpacking and day hikes when the weather is cool and the Mogollon Rim area when the weather is warm (higher elevation and pine forests). The Az Trail passes through both areas and there are multiple options for section hikes.
    Thanks for the info. Looking into it now.

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    I was also suggested these two books. I found them at my local Barnes and Noble.

https://www.amazon.com/100-Classic-H...+Dodge+Phoenix

https://www.amazon.com/Hikes-Within-...+Dodge+Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by MABfromLa View Post
    My son lives right outside of phoenix and goes to ASU. He goes on day hikes to Camelback Mt. which he said is close to Phoenix. For weekend trips they go north to Sedona which I believe is around 2 hrs away from Phoenix.
    My daughter has been to Sedona, she tells me. Camelback she hasn't seen, so that's going on the list as a possible.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeFan View Post
    Having lived in the Phoenix area, there are 2 that promptly come to mind.

In the Superstitions, the Peralta Trail up to overlook Weaver's Needle. If doing this in the summer, I'd highly suggest caching water on the way up for retrieval on the way down. Virtually no cover from the sun. There is a shallow cave close to the top that provides shade. Great views and a crowded hike during the cooler months.

The second is outside of Rye, towards Payson, the Barnhardt Trail. Its a beautiful hike with a steam running to your right as you climb. But the reward is a cascading waterfall, hidden back in a short 'crevace' on the left towards the top. If you push to the top, there's a great campsite on the right that overlooks the distant lights of Payson at night.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Barnhardt sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry8 View Post
    Google Todd's desert hiking.
    Will do and thanks.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Images
    It is a couple of hours drive from Phoenix, but I feel sure you can find some glorious day hiking or over nighters in this area. Just either park along Forest Road 151 off of US 180 a few miles north of Flagstaff, just north of mile marker 226, get out and start hiking. I don't remember a lot of official trails(but there are some) so have map, compass, and/or GPS and know how to use them, and plenty of water then just head out. Or mountain bike/hike on the various FS roads. It is beautiful. And it will likely be nice and cool when Phoenix is 110.
    https://bestofzona.com/arizona-hart-prairie/

Also:
    https://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=952

"Near Mile 5.9 you will circle around the base of Fern Mountain. Near the intersection of FR794, there is a marked trail on the east side of FR151 that will take you to the top of the mountain providing some panoramic views of Hart Prairie and Mount Humphreys. This half mile side trek climbs about 250 feet.

As you approach Mile 8.0 you will reach the junction of FR151 and FR627. Take FR627 about half a mile east to the Bismarck Lake Elk Preserve trail head. Follow the remains of an old Jeep trail in an easterly direction for about 1 mile while gaining about 250 feet in elevation. As you head uphill towards a grassy ledge, you will top out onto a sizeable meadow surrounded by aspen, fir, and pine. The meadow has a small body of water, just a few feet across, hardly worthy the designation of "lake". Listen for any bugling elk that make this primo habitat their home. Dawn or dusk is the optimum time to view elk near Bismarck Lake.

Return back to FR151 at Mile 10.8. You head north through the Hochderffer Hills. It's all downhill from here. At Mile 12.7 you pass FR418 and enter a burned area. This is a result of the 1996 Hochderffer Fire that consumed 17,000 acres of pristine forest. You can see aspen saplings beginning to regenerate the area. The road will rejoin Hwy 180 at Mile 14.3.

Summary
    Hart Prairie is a potpourri of hiking and mountain biking options. Mix and match to suit your desire.

Hart Prairie Road - FR151 is 9.8 miles long traveling from the south TH at Hwy 180 near MM226 and connecting back to the north TH at Hwy 180 near MM235. Hart Prairie Tank to Crater Lake - Travel past FR151 MM2 and head west on FR9005L about 0.65 miles to the junction with FR9004L and Crater Lake............................................".

Here is another great one(you can do either of these one day or 2, and Sedona on the day before or after!)

https://bestofzona.com/arizona-lockett-meadow/
    "Lockett Meadow Overview

Lockett Meadow is my favorite vehicle-accessible location in the state of Arizona. If I want to hike, that’s great; the Aspen-adorned Inner Basin Trail starts at the edge of Lockett Meadow and allows access into the heart of the ancient volcanic field that makes up the Kachina Peaks Wilderness. If I want to just hangout in a hammock and enjoy the rustling of the aspen leaves and pine needles, have a leisurely picnic in the meadow, and/or read a book under a towering Ponderosa Pine, I can do all that too. Star gazing is great at night as well, with magnificent shows of shooting stars periodically and the Milky Way making jaw dropping appearances during clear summer nights. Lockett Meadow is a special place; how you choose to experience it is up to you. Enjoy!.................".

more on Lockett Meadow:
    \https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/re...LockettMeadow/

Enjoy! And don't forget the many, many places along the magnificent Mogollon Rim! https://www.arizonahighways.com/expl...orest-road-300

There are good desert hiking trails all around the Phoenix area. One of my favorites is Vulture Peak just south of Wickenberg, AZ on BLM land. Good camping out there too, but bring a hammock stand. The only trees around there are the giant protected Saguaro cactus!

There are regional parks all over Phoenix that are good for day hikes too. An example of one is in the Peoria area is Calderwood Bute. It has three trail heads and the trails go all around the mountain.

There are endless day hikes around Sedona too. Bell Rock and Boynton Canyon are my favorites in Sedona.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast