11' Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    Chill gorilla
    Insulation
    Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Guidesman brand Hammock

I see that Menards has their Guidesman brand hammocks on sale for $10 a piece. They look like basic parachute material and about 10' long.

I'm wondering if these would work to take the kids backpacking in hammocks a couple times a year and hang around the house? Or are they going to rip after the first couple uses? Anyone have any experience with them

Images
    Would assume they're the same as any other cheap, imported nylon hammocks with 3 panel construction. They're good enough for the kids to lounge or play around in when they get bored around camp. Did you mean something for them to sleep in? If so, you'll probably need a method of insect protection and almost definitely need some means of under-insulation.

Does the hammock come with tree straps? If not, that's another thing you may have to invest in for each of those hammocks.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    Chill gorilla
    Insulation
    Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have an extra set of whoopie slings for suspension and a pad for insulation. For bug protection I would just get/make a fronkey style bugnet.

I'm mainly just wondering if it would hold up well enough to be worth it being that cheap of a hammock. I know you get what you pay for. But if it lasts 2-3 years for them to decide what they prefer it could be worth it.

I mainly just want to get them introduced to hammock camping so I can stop lugging a tent with us if they like it.

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    Well at that price you could get two of them, stay home instead of go out on Friday night, and come out ahead. If it lasts you got something for basically nothing.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have a 10.00 one from Rural King that I use in my back yard over the winters in FL. It has held up for 2 years now at about 30 uses per year and it was fine when I put it away. It is too short for me to sleep comfortably in but if your kids are smaller/younger I don't see why it would not work for them.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

I have three of those that I use as loaners with our Scout troop. The are a super cheap gateway hammock. Don't expect fantastic workmanship. I think the "attached" storage bag has fallen off two of mine just from casual use, but the hammock itself is fine so far. They are a little short for what most would consider full comfort.
    It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    About a month ago Wal-Mart had some clearance hammocks for $5 a piece. My mother-in-law got one for each of our kids and I hung them in their rooms. They're just cheapo nine footers that are worth about $5, but the kids love them. They're great for what they are, and my son sleeps in his just about every night. I threw a CDT underquilt on his, and I have a couple more that I'm setting up for the girls. It's a great setup and cost under $20 per kid.

I wouldn't hesitate to grab something cheap for the kids to try out. Worst case scenario, you're out $10. That $10 could save you good money over buying a setup for them to use only to find out that they don't like sleeping in a hammock. My girls have both liked going to sleep in the hammocks, but wake up during the night and move to the bed. I've learned that they probably aren't good candidates at this point for hammock camping, but my son is. Worth the money in my opinion.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    Chill gorilla
    Insulation
    Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I have a 10.00 one from Rural King that I use in my back yard over the winters in FL. It has held up for 2 years now at about 30 uses per year and it was fine when I put it away. It is too short for me to sleep comfortably in but if your kids are smaller/younger I don't see why it would not work for them.
    That's what I was hoping for. I think I'll pick one or two up and try it. They are both under 5' for now.

• + New Posts