Hi from Claremore OK

noob hanger here. I have been lurking around here for some time and have used some of the ideas from this forum. I am a cheap SOB and wanted to make my first hammock... 11' X 58" gathered end and it has turned out to be not to shabby. I will be trying it out in a few weeks for my first ever hammock backpacking trip(I have always been a ground dweller). I am sure I will eventually cave and get one of them $$$ hammocks with the bells and the name on the side. but for not its a DIY world for me. I have made a few UCR's and Whoopie slings for my set up too.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Making them yourself is fun and gives you, not only a sense of pride, but a great conversation starter, too! Welcome to the forums and enjoy your trip. Don't forget to post pictures in the trip report section when you come back for all the voyeurs that hang out here.

Charlotte

You can make bugnets too in several different styles. Derek Hansen's book (and probably his website) has dimensions for a Hug-style bugnet. Tutorials on making underquilts abound on YouTube and elsewhere, proving that it ain't all about the bucks necessarily.
    Welcome to the madness and cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hello neighbor and welcome- congrats on making your first hammock and your upcoming hang. The DIY rabbit hole is deep and gratifying.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Hello and welcome! Congrats on hitting a homer for your first DIY. I am not a crafty person, so I don't personally know those feels.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Doing some good DIY really helps you fine tune your hammock knowledge.
    Fun to sleep in something you crafted.
    Whooooo Buddy))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Just remember, all those bells and whistles come with TWO costs: $$$ being one and ounces/grams being the other. A spreadsheet listing all your gear and its weight seems like a super-geeky thing to do, but when you see it all on one page it makes it really easy to see where you can cut some weight and possibly make your trip more enjoyable. Also, do yourself a favor and watch and rewatch all Shug's videos for setting up your hammock. Practice as much as you can in your backyard, then after a few weeks, rewatch the videos again.

Hello fellow Okie,

Now to find places to go. In most state parks here, the park rangers will require you to have two inch tree straps to protect the trees. In the past I took my one inch straps and wrapped them around a few times to make it look like straps covered trees by more area. Now, I just buy two inch straps.

My favorite tarp is the Kelty Noah 12. It is heavy, but it covers everything. The last weekend of March, I went with our scout troop on a camp out. I was high and dry, and the driving wind that blew down tents did not phase me.

In cold weather I have used a Thermorest pad to keep my bottom side warm. This year I made an under quilt out of three Costco down quilts using this guys plans:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ini+Underquilt

Now get out there and have some fun.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

• + New Posts