Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dream hammock sparrow vs Hammockgear hammock?

Good morning,

I've been using an 11 ft DIY hammock for a few years and have slept good in it except when in buggy conditions. I've made two different bugnets and have been frustrated with both. I think I need to bite the bullet and order an integrated hammock with bugnet.

Seems that everyone is happy with the Sparrow but Hammockgear has a hammock that seems very similar for $75 less. I've seen videos comparing the Sparrow to the Chameleon and the XLC but nothing comparing hammock gears hammock. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I spend the extra for the Sparrow or would I be happy with hammock gears hammock?

thanks for the help!

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jpturner View Post
    Good morning,

I've been using an 11 ft DIY hammock for a few years and have slept good in it except when in buggy conditions. I've made two different bugnets and have been frustrated with both. I think I need to bite the bullet and order an integrated hammock with bugnet.

Seems that everyone is happy with the Sparrow but Hammockgear has a hammock that seems very similar for $75 less. I've seen videos comparing the Sparrow to the Chameleon and the XLC but nothing comparing hammock gears hammock. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I spend the extra for the Sparrow or would I be happy with hammock gears hammock?

thanks for the help!
    I don't own the HG hammock, but I do own two dream hammocks, a Darien and a Sparrow. DH make great gear and offer the most custom options among the cottage hammock vendors with fabrics, color, and such. The Smurfs can also custom size the hammock for length and width, whereas the HG hammock has two widths, standard and wide, with no other variations possible. Maybe someone who has both HG and DH can comment, as my experience has only been DH up to now.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    If I'm not mistaken, one of the differences between the two is that the net/cover is completely removable on the Sparrow, but not on the HG. You can go netless on the HG, but the net does not fully detach from the hammock. Dream Hammock also offers a lot more customization in terms of fabrics, length, width, direction of lay. The other difference is the Sparrow comes with a double-ended stuff sack, while the HG has the integrated stuff sack (which I personally am not a fan of). I could not tell you which hammock of the two is more comfortable. But I can tell you that the Smurfs have been building hammocks for many years now, and have a stellar reputation as far as comfort/quality goes.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    the dream hammock dangerbird is more comparable to HG integrated bug net hammock than the sparrow
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hyper D
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG Econ UQ + TQ
    Images
    Spiguyver did a youtube review a few months ago on the HG...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiipqrBm7J8

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    I have a Dream Sparrow which I love. The ability to customize and get just the right fabric to support your weight is a great feature.

That said, some people prefer a fronkey style bugnet, and find that it is a bit easier to get in and out without skeeters sneaking inside. So before you purchase a new hammock with a bugnet, you should at least consider and reject that option before you go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    the dream hammock dangerbird is more comparable to HG integrated bug net hammock than the sparrow
    Not really, since it's asym only and the HG is symmetrical. I'd say the Raven is the more direct competitor for price and symmetrical. Although the net design is very different, somebody shopping at that price point is probably choosing between HG or Raven.
    You can buy a HammockGear netted hammock any color you want, as long as you want black or grey (Henry Ford reference....). If you plan to get black or grey 1.6 even if from DreamHammock, then maybe this doesn't matter to you. HammockGear is out-of-stock on both colors, so a wait either direction removes the main argument against DreamHammock, the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    I don't own the HG hammock, but I do own two dream hammocks, a Darien and a Sparrow. DH make great gear and offer the most custom options among the cottage hammock vendors with fabrics, color, and such. The Smurfs can also custom size the hammock for length and width, whereas the HG hammock has two widths, standard and wide, with no other variations possible. Maybe someone who has both HG and DH can comment, as my experience has only been DH up to now.
    Good point. I think customization, at least down the road, would be preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, one of the differences between the two is that the net/cover is completely removable on the Sparrow, but not on the HG. You can go netless on the HG, but the net does not fully detach from the hammock. Dream Hammock also offers a lot more customization in terms of fabrics, length, width, direction of lay. The other difference is the Sparrow comes with a double-ended stuff sack, while the HG has the integrated stuff sack (which I personally am not a fan of). I could not tell you which hammock of the two is more comfortable. But I can tell you that the Smurfs have been building hammocks for many years now, and have a stellar reputation as far as comfort/quality goes.
    Yes, the hammock gear does not have a removable bugnet. I suppose I would like a removable one when backpacking in cooler temps when bugs are a non-factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Loonatic View Post
    I have a Dream Sparrow which I love. The ability to customize and get just the right fabric to support your weight is a great feature.

That said, some people prefer a fronkey style bugnet, and find that it is a bit easier to get in and out without skeeters sneaking inside. So before you purchase a new hammock with a bugnet, you should at least consider and reject that option before you go that route.
    I made a sock/tube style bugnet which I hate. I also made two Fronkey style bugnets but feel they sag a bit and land on my face or arms. I'm thinking an integrated bugnet would fix that problem but I have not used one as of yet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast