Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I've missed the hammock and sat in my UQ twice, both within a day of each other, and both in the middle of the night after 'a break'. I couldn't believe I did it the second time, but I did, and I'm sorry to say, I yelled some bad words.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I believe "... missing the hammock and sitting in the UQ instead ..." is a rite of passage. Once I wanted to see if those "key fob" carabiners would work.

Brokenbiner.jpg

It didn't.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Senior Member StrungUpNewfoundlander's Avatar
    Hammock
    LSOH Warrior XL
    Tarp
    LSOH FireFly
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch Bits
    Images
    I fell, as a slow rate, the very first time I sat in my hammock. Twisted strap buckles (following all of my messing around). My fault and lesson learned.
    Best Kind

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Took me a few years to sit in my underquilt, missing the hammock entirely, after a bathroom break in the wee hours. I waited another year to make sure I could repeat the act, and sure enough did. It's been a few years since, but I'm very particular about making sure I know the difference between hammock & underquilt.
    That's pretty much my experience as well. I did it once camping in a GE hammock and once about a year later in my house with my bridge hammock. The one in the GE hammock wasn't so bad as the ground was relatively soft but the one in the bridge sucked as I slammed my a** on the hardwood floor and bounced the back of my head off the wall. NEVER AGAIN!
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    HG Netted
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    HG Inc. Econ 20
    Suspension
    Tree Strap, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Took me a few years to sit in my underquilt, missing the hammock entirely, after a bathroom break in the wee hours. I waited another year to make sure I could repeat the act, and sure enough did. It's been a few years since, but I'm very particular about making sure I know the difference between hammock & underquilt.
    My first real hammock camping adventure! I was in Rocky Mountain National Park, expecting lows around 40 degF. I sat in the quilt and broke the quilt suspension! I was honestly scared in that moment. I knew it wouldn't be a good night if I couldn't get that underquilt hung. I used some spare cordage and came up with a makeshift suspension.

Now, I always teach users to sit in the hammock, sometimes even pushing the underquilt away and bringing it back under AFTER entering the hammock.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    I wonder about some of the flipping and falling stories I've read - seems nearly physically impossible to flip a gathered-end hammock with a ridgeline accidentally, yet they claim to have had to cut their way out.
    I don't know about one with a ridgeline but I can assure you that's it's possible to flip one. When I was first starting out, I set up my GE hammock between two trees and it was before I knew about the 30 degree hang angle, so I set it up almost horizontal. When I got in it flipped right over and dumped me into the integrated bugnet. So there I was, face down into the bugnet unable to reach the ground with my hands trapped between my body and the bugnet. The good news was that nobody was there to see it. The bad news was that there was nobody there to help me. After much futzing around, I was finally able to right myself and there wasn't even any damage to the bugnet. Experience is a good teacher.

Sometime later I set up a hammock with a marlin spike hitch and wasn't very careful about the placement of the toggle. A gunshot sound later and I was flat on my pride on the ground. Never found all the parts of the toggle. Experience is a good teacher.

Still later, I set up with a UCR but didn't have it set to keep the constrictor tight. It was a slow letdown to the ground. Not even my pride was hurt. Experience is a good teacher.

I know a lot of things to NOT do and survived intact to learn these lessons. I'm just wondering what new lessons I'll be learning in the future ;-)

Hammock
    Dutch Ware
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB top & bottom q
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Got up in the middle of the night to answer the call of nature. When I got back in the hammock I grabbed the hammock in the front and the under quilt in the back before sitting down. After falling on my back, I was a full awake.
    Happy trails to you until we meet again.

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    This past January I was testing a ad-hoc underquilt and I didn't carefully open my hammock trying to get into it and I missed it and went right to the ground. I was only 18 inches off the ground over mulch, so not a big deal.
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

Hammock
    Ridge runner
    Tarp
    Journey 12’
    Insulation
    JRB 0* Top/Bottom
    Last month had some friends over to. One ask about the hammock so I set it up and showed him how not to get into a hammock

Images
    I keep a pile of old closed cell foam pads under my indoor hammock. Just sayin'.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast