Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Three years ago, after starting to read this forum, I made a hammock with some ripstop I had around, just to see if I'd like a hammock. Went out into the back yard to hang it and try it out. Used a stick as thick as my thumb from the ground as a toggle in the MSH. Laid down in hammock, that dang stick was rotten! It broke, I went down flat on my back, broke a rib. Sheesh! It's a miracle that I still want to do it, several hammocks later... (and no more MSH!!)

So, yeah, it took me no time at all! My very first attempt I hit the ground!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Must be 20 years ago now, I was using a nicer Mayan hammock as my camping hammock. Well, I guess I put it away damp one time. I didn't check its condition before packing for the trip. Strung it up and noticed a bit of a mildew smell, but didn't think much of it. Entered the hammock and it wasn't long before it gave way and I fell through it. Just this past weekend a friend of mine who was on that trip brought it up again as he does every few years and still laughed about it. I spent the night in his tent that night and the remaining nights of the trip..

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wide 1.7 Hexon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Considering I have yet to sleep in a hammock it isn't surprising that I haven't fallen yet. But I do appreciate being able to learn from others' mistakes so I will hopefully be able to avoid making the same mistakes. For example, I've already decided to use different colors of fabric for my hammock and the inside of my UQ.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Just as an aside, when hanging over water there is often a chance of something unusual happening. We live inland however ocean tides affect river water levels. Plus dams tend to open flood gates at night. All of which changes the water level significantly and current. We found trees are often not particularly stable when they are close to the water. My daughter had one she had tied to come down...
    As a noob I thank you for this insight. There are a lot of dams in my area. As far as site selection goes I have heard about being aware of possible flash floods from rain in the mountains above you but I had never considered the possiblity of dams doing controlled releases even though I'm very familiar with the concept.
    Last edited by SutterButtes; 04-17-2019 at 15:47. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    HG dyneema
    Insulation
    Diamondback,wookie
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Images
    None yet. Still kinda new at it. Don't get to use it as often as I would like. But I hope when I do finally flip out that it will be memorable! But without a trip to the ER!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Good question. I would rather know...when does it stop?
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40F
    Suspension
    Dutchware strap BB
    Wow, man some scary stories with bumps, bruises and broken rib. I think I should have asked this before purchasing a hammock, but what the heck, only live once!
    Lot's of experience out there for me to learn from. Health and happiness this holiday season to all! Safe hanging to all.

PS, it's official, got my HF stickers today!

And I reordered the strap that frayed when the buckle slid,

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sat in and missed, sat in underquilt...all that.
    Several times.
    Nothing will make me give up my comfort sack.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    As per Forrest Gump, "stupid is what stupid does."

I rushed outside as it was getting dark to test out my new Warbonnet UQ on my new RR.

Long story short I didn't make sure the suspension buckles on the strap were around the tree carefully and when I sat down, kaboom! Holy cow! Was I shocked. Luckily the RR doesn't sit so high up, but right down on my butt and the new UQ. Nothing hurt except for my pride, but I got back up, fixed the strap and buckle (tore strap a little, ordering a new one) and got back into the hammock.

I happen to be video taping it also like everyone else does. Sent video to friends and daughter on how not to be stupid.

So I think I have set this hammock up 7-8 times, slept in it twice during that time. Hope to not repeat that especially if I ever want to hammock camp on paddle trips and hang above the water!

Lesson learned, don't rush! No fault of the equipment, just me being to excited and not staying focused!

So, who wants to tell the truth? Have you ever flipped over or fallen out?

Maybe one day I'll tell you how I flipped over a Pungo 120 kayak which is usually impossible! That's on another forum. take care
    Not counting my first night, where I was freezing and unable to get in the sleeping bag all the way inside my HH Explorer bottom entry. Therefore was doing some desperate acrobatics as I struggled to get in the bag. Then woke up at about 0230 at 22F shivering, and realizing I was laying in the net. I had some how managed to turn the hammock upside down. So I guess it would have been the first night in Sept 06 if the net had not caught me.

2nd time might have been about 1-1 1/2 yeas later. I had my new Speer Pea Pod on a Claytor No Net. Got up to pee, not fully awake. When getting back in, instead of grabbing the hammock edges, I grabbed the Pea Pod edges. Flipped right over on my back. Thankfully, I was not very high above ground. Still hurt. Left me with a sore spot for a day or two. Thankfully, no one witnessed either incident.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-17-2019 at 20:52.

Hammock
    13 foot La Siesta
    O boy think it was the first week. i woke up one morning stood up, then my phone rang. it was a important call so i answered it treating The hammock like a bed i decided to sit back down and talk on the phone. i was experimenting with a under quilt and well i missed the hammock and i found myself looking at the ceiling pretending that did not happen.

Ashley

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 1.2 Robic
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla 12ft
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Girlfriend and I were hanging at the lake napping and woke up to the fall. Tree strap gave out, but it had seen probably 4 years of extensive use before the strap gave. Definitely was showing signs of wear that I ignored but learned my lesson! Luckily we only fell about a foot but onto rocks was a nasty tailbone bruise.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast