Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

20D vs. 15D

I have tried searching and have only found little information regarding the durability of 15D silpoly tarps.

There seems to be plenty of people having no issues with 20D, but have not seen many testify to the durability of 15D. While I have not read anything bad about them, curious if anyone has experience using 15D on hikes or camping trips.

While I know to look out for dead branches falling ect. curious how much you would need to baby a 15D tarp (if any at all) vs. a 20D tarp.

Do I need to go out of my way and set it away from my cook kit in my pack (or anything abrasive for that matter)? Is having it taut with elastic cord on the pullouts all the tension it can handle when tightening it down?

Or how much more susceptible is the 15D to tears/punctures vs the 20D, or is the durability of the 20D make it more desirable even considering the weight savings?

Thanks everyone,

Cheers!
    Last edited by FastHamFreddy; 04-15-2019 at 14:05.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post
    I have tried searching and have only found little information regarding the durability of 15D silpoly tarps.

There seems to be plenty of people having no issues with 20D, but have not seen many testify to the durability of 15D. While I have not read anything bad about them, curious if anyone has experience using 15D on hikes or camping trips.

While I know to look out for dread branches falling ect. curious how much you would need to baby a 15D tarp (if any at all). Do I need to go out of my way and set it away from my cook kit in my pack? Is having it taut with elastic cord on the pullouts all the tension it can handle when tightening it down?

Or how much more susceptible is the 15D is to tears/punctures vs the 20D, or is the durability of the 20D make it more desirable even considering the weight savings?

Thanks everyone,

Cheers!
    Sounds like a question for Kyle

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post

While I know to look out for dread branches falling ect. curious how much you would need to baby a 15D tarp (if any at all). Do I need to go out of my way and set it away from my cook kit in my pack? Is having it taut with elastic cord on the pullouts all the tension it can handle when tightening it down?

Or how much more susceptible is the 15D is to tears/punctures vs the 20D, or is the durability of the 20D make it more desirable even considering the weight savings?

Thanks everyone,

Cheers!
    Thanks for asking that question! I had the very same one, and just hadn't gotten a chance to post!
    I know there is a 20D and 15D version of tarps through Underground Quilts, so they may be able to speak to that too..
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 UQ
    FWIW, I have had a 15D (Membrane SilPoly) from a RSBTR ultralight winter tarp kit for about a year with zero issues. During the winter we had a cold spell with 50 MPH wind gusts and I setup the tarp for a test, in which it performed perfectly. I was skeptical that the panel pull-outs would survive, but they did. I do use tarp tensioners on all the corners with shock-cord loops, but that is just the way I like it. I don't baby it any more than my 20D SilNylon tarp.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks IrishSitter,

The pullouts are actually something else I was curious about. Do you think using trekking poles as the pullouts would cause any issues?

I've been using a MEMBRANE silpoly winter tarp for just over 3 years (mixed use since I also use my hex and asym depending on weather). My hex tarp is silpoly 1.1.

In terms of tear strength, the pullouts, stitching, etc., I have not seen any functional difference between the two materials under normal parameters (camping, storms, etc.). I haven't tested them to limits, but I assume the 1.1 is stronger and I believe RSBTR's comparison bears that out.

What I have noticed is that the MEMBRANE is more susceptible to small punctures, probably caused by brushing up against a holly leaf, briar, etc. while being pitched or struck. Easily repaired a dab of silicon and not a major issue to me.

MEMBRANE silpoly is my tarp material of choice due to the weight and reasonably good durability. For my kids, I'll stick with the silpoly 1.1.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Maybe not helpful but I had a 15d tarp that I never got to use before coming upon a too-good-a-deal-to-not-grab Dyneema. I loved how much smaller it packed up and the significantly lighter weight. It did not appear fragile to me.

I do remember that a member here posted a, to him, nightmare experience I think may have been due to an errant branch. I’m sure it would come up in a search or the member will recount his experience here soon.

• + New Posts