Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel

I made a 12' hammock from 1.8oz Airwave Hybrid, and it is my best gathered end yet

I just finished a 1.8oz Airwave Hybrid 12' hammock, my first 12' hammock, and I think it is very comfortable. I do not know if it is because it is 12' long, or the material, or the combination but comparing it to my 8 GE 11' hammocks, it is the most comfortable. I like how it breaths and I do not sweat at all so far. Also I do not need an under the knee pillow, it is fairly flat. It is difficult to move around, though I would rather get in a good position and then not constantly slide around. Maybe the extra length has more material to stretch out and that makes it more comfortable, and I have not seen the need to add Knotty mods, the sides are tight. Another nice thing with this fabric (I put the roughest side in), is my pillow and quilt do not slide out as easily and pretty much stay inn place. Overall it is now my go to GE hammock for this year. Now I just need to make a new Fronkey net and shorten the continuous loops in hope of still using my 11' Super Fly tarp.

IMG_20190413_091812391_HDR.jpg

Hammock
    dream hammock
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    underquilt
    Suspension
    straps
    i would like to make my own hammock one day, but i would like to get my hammock knowledge up there a bit more first, but in the meantime i will use my purchased hammock.congrats on the new hammock

Out of curiosity, how tall are you? I ask not because I have any personal interest in your height, but to judge relative dimensions in an 11 vs 12 foot hammock.
    Thanks.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Hey tomilj75, if you have access to a sewing machine it is not hard to do. I have a Singer 5150 which about the cheapest machine around, but after watching some videos for about 2 years I can weld fabric! Including 8 tie out (quilt loops, pull outs, head storage, zipper pocket), this took me about 7 hours of slow sewing. I have only used a straight stich and I am pretty good at undoing stiches at this point when my machine or I messes up. I use contrasting thread like bright green, yellow or red to make it easier to see my stiches, though I tell people the bright color is to find the edges or openings better. Eventually I can build something usable, like stuff sacks hammocks, synthetic underquilts, and tarps, but my work will not win any beauty contest. My work is more like I would place 11th in a blindfolded sewing contest, out of 10 people. The vendors here create amazing work and mine does not even begin to compare, but I am having fun!
    Hey Sidneyhornblower, I am 5'11" and my shoulder width is about 22." The increase in comfort from a 11' to 12' GE has gotten me thinking of making like a 14' GE from Airwave 1.8, which could be even better. I need to see how well my 12' GE fits under my tarp, and if it makes it, then I have a Winter Dream 13' for my WBRR and I am wondering if I could squeeze a 14' or longer GE under it. How well the Airwave material breathes and its stretch is probably what I like the most about this fabric. I must sweat a lot, and so far this material has kept my back dry. Also it is interesting that when I lay on a diagonal I do not automatically slide back into the "slot" of the lowest point. This has opened up the hammock for me and made more of the space usable for different laying positions.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    Hey tomilj75, if you have access to a sewing machine it is not hard to do. I have a Singer 5150 which about the cheapest machine around, but after watching some videos for about 2 years I can weld fabric! Including 8 tie out (quilt loops, pull outs, head storage, zipper pocket), this took me about 7 hours of slow sewing. I have only used a straight stich and I am pretty good at undoing stiches at this point when my machine or I messes up. I use contrasting thread like bright green, yellow or red to make it easier to see my stiches, though I tell people the bright color is to find the edges or openings better. Eventually I can build something usable, like stuff sacks hammocks, synthetic underquilts, and tarps, but my work will not win any beauty contest. My work is more like I would place 11th in a blindfolded sewing contest, out of 10 people. The vendors here create amazing work and mine does not even begin to compare, but I am having fun!
    Hey Sidneyhornblower, I am 5'11" and my shoulder width is about 22." The increase in comfort from a 11' to 12' GE has gotten me thinking of making like a 14' GE from Airwave 1.8, which could be even better. I need to see how well my 12' GE fits under my tarp, and if it makes it, then I have a Winter Dream 13' for my WBRR and I am wondering if I could squeeze a 14' or longer GE under it. How well the Airwave material breathes and its stretch is probably what I like the most about this fabric. I must sweat a lot, and so far this material has kept my back dry. Also it is interesting that when I lay on a diagonal I do not automatically slide back into the "slot" of the lowest point. This has opened up the hammock for me and made more of the space usable for different laying positions.
    This is an interesting idea. - 14' GE - as for the airwave I think I'm going to pass on this fabric - I really really want to like it but almost every single person I've seen post says that it doesn't slide very well once you get in it. I guess I liken the experience to trying to bundle up and every time you put a new layer on your sleeves windup in your armpits
    I think I do want to try some of the mountain series fabric though - I haven't seen much info out there on it though
    Sounds like I've got to go hit up YouTube and see what people have been doing with it.

If you make that 14 footer post some results - let us know how/if it worked in creating a better lay.

if I ever get off my keester and try and test my hypothesis on things I think I have developed a way to make a very flat lay gathered end hammock by modifying the Gathered end - leaving a center area that remains ungathered so to speak

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Hey Gilligan'sWorld, I will post when I make a 14' hammock, but it will be awhile. I am interested in your modified gathered end also.
    You are right, you do not slide around. I wore a fleece the other night and it was very hard to move my upper body around, but I pretty much know where I sleep in a hammock and I actually start with my feet a little high unless I am reading, so I slide towards the head end if anything. My fleece did not raise up throughout out the night, and I got up several times, but I may have gotten lucky. In my opinion, the breathability and feel of the fabric easily outweighs how hard it is to move around.

• + New Posts