Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

2019 6th Annual Fat Butt and Snake Bite Hang>Medoc Mt SP NC. > 11-14 April 2019

What a hang and its been a long week. My work schedule got changed three times this week and the final change allowed The Terminator and me ( along with the dogs ) to take off a day earlier than planned and take our time setting up camp.

Made a mistake by putting Phantom Grappler in charge of the weather as we got a lot of rain. Only good side of the rain was that it washed away the pine pollen.

To those of you who showed up to the hang and braved the elements thank you. I bestow upon you the honor as members in good standing of Loyal Order of Foul Weather Campers.

Got to meet several old time hangers who have not joined us before and we had a chance to convert one person to the dark side of camping. Also got meet and talk to Two Speed who has hiked the AT and the PCT.

Food...we ate good. Phantom brought Ribeye steaks and two hams The Terminator fixed DO Pizzas. We also had home made dill pickles and lots more.

Friday brought some rain, nothing hard, just enough to be annoying but we had plenty of shelters so we stayed dry. About 9:30 PM I was going into our Squid Billy Shelter when the dogs ran out of the shelter and I saw a two food long Copperhead snake that I had just stepped over and had not seen. Snake was striking at every movement and I am surprised that I was not tagged by it. As there were several small children there and no way to safely catch the snake and relocate it, we killed the snake...something I hate to do. Shortly after that we discovered out new dog Abby had been tagged twice by the snake. Took her to an emergency vet for treatment.. The next day and $700+ later we were able to pick her up. We decided to take her home so she could rest comfortably and we are heading back to the hang in the AM to pack up our gear.

To add insult to injury, we were in such a hurry to get Abby to the vets, I did not close up our shelter properly and The Terminators hammock set up got very wet.

Still had a good time.

Have to go thru and see if any of the pictures and video I took are any good and will post them here as soon as I can. All I will say is,,,beware of tin hats.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunner76; 04-15-2019 at 19:36.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I hope Abby is ok!!!! Man, that is a rough way to go!!!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Abby will be fine, just needs a few days to recover. She and Sam ( our other dog ) are curled up on our bed sleep.

The Terminator said Abby's new name is Her Royal Highness The Princess Snake Bite of Abbynessia. ( She tends to bark at everyone and forgets she knows the person so has to bark at them every time she sees them )

Sam's trail name is Road Rash

Some pictures of Abby after snake bite. You can see how swollen her paw is, her mouth is also swollen but is harder to make out. She was feeling no pain from the meds the vet gave her and she could barely stand up in the car even when leaning on me
    Last edited by gunner76; 04-14-2019 at 16:46.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Great to see everyone again. Thanks to everyone who helped host the hang and the excellent cooks. Every hang I attend gets better and better each time.

I didn't eat as much food as I could've but that was not for lack of food available.

I only hope to get my membership card to the Loyal Order of Foul Weather Campers soon.

Happy Hanging! Two Speed.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I only hope to get my membership card to the Loyal Order of Foul Weather Campers soon.
    It will be available as soon as I can get one designed and since I am terrible at graphic designs it may be awhile.

We just got back home ( for the second time this weekend ) and are slowly unloading the gear.

Last edited by gunner76; 04-15-2019 at 19:44.

I want to thank everyone for attending the hang! For those that were afraid of a little rain, you guys missed out on a lot of food and entertainment. Had to rough it and have rib eye steak 2 days in a row. Rain was not a real issue cause it rained after we fixed dinner and ate. And only hard for a bit, sprinkling a little after.
    Also want to thank EVERYONE for their concerns for Abby and help trying to find a vet. Finding one in wilson. She took one for the team!
    Also thank you all for pitching in and taking over for the cooking,etc. And for taking down most of our gear before we got back. Glad we went up a day early so it feels like I did get some time outdoors.
    Looking at a site and saw it is the year of the snake!
    Glad we met some new people and covered them to the dark side! Hope to see you again next hang! Gunner will post pics soon. Taking a rest while unpacking.
    Again, it's the people that come to the hangs that makes it great! Ya'll are fantastic!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Mike cooked up a storm—I thought I was in a fine restaurant. I enjoyed coffee, campfire & camaraderie with an all time great bunch of hammock campers
    Although not a leak, there was pooling in ridgeline trough—might switch hammock and tarp suspensions from Kokomo to a more standard version with hammock and tarp suspensions on separate lines—Wisdom of the herd
    Gunner&Terminator have got 2be tired after copperhead bit Abby. Maybe they can hammock this week at home to ketchup on their R&R
    Until then...make Happy Face

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Phantom's new name is Phantom The Lets BBQ The Snake I Don't Think I Brought Enough Food All You Can Eat Buffet Grappler .

A few of the Ribeye steaks he brought for us to eat.
    Last edited by gunner76; 04-14-2019 at 16:49.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Shout out to Slugger who drove his truck to the saw mill to pick up a load of fire wood for the hang. Had to load it ourselves. Those saw blades were about 5 feet tall. Never did see the dog in the dog house.

A group effort once we got back made short work of unloading the wood.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Some more pictures from the hang.....

As you can see, it did not rain all the time

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast