DIY Hex
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Best way I’ve found to cut Amsteel

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    You are told correctly that ceramic knives work great for cutting amsteel. I picked up an inexpensive ceramic paring knife from the houseware section of my local department store. I think it was a few dollars. So if and when that blade dulls, I won't bother with resharpening an otherwise cheap knife. I'll just buy another to replace it. Sharpening ceramic blades take special diamond plated sharpening stones and a good amount of skill.
    +1. I bought mine at Walmart. I use a plastic cutting board and always keep the guard on the knife when not in use. Still very sharp and it has been through a bunch of Amsteel already.
    Last edited by Dunckelman; 04-18-2019 at 13:04.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0184KGOR0...9-5707d913d0fd

The pair I have is from Clauss- recommended by Intimidator

Gone through a good dozen spools of amsteel without dulling.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Just Bill, I like your reported wearability on the scissors but a roller (or razor type knife) might work better for me.

With scissors I hold the Amsteal with one hand, pull the strands out (and taut) with the other hand, holds the scissors in the other hand and cut ... what, too many hands! (or not enough). At this location, the only OFLA cutter that requires a shipping fee (and it about equal to price of cutter) is the recommended 28mm size. Neither Home Depot or Lowe's carry it - nor do the local dealers listed for this area on OFLA's web page - isn't life just like that
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-19-2019 at 13:02.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    I'm in the ceramic knife camp. Just have to be careful not to drop it or it might break in two. Generally a good idea not to drop any knives though.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    For a clean cut I use my Light Sabre.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Just Bill, I like your reported wearability on the scissors but a roller (or razor type knife) might work better for me.

With scissors I hold the Amsteal with one hand, pull the strands out (and taut) with the other hand, holds the scissors in the other hand and cut ... what, too many hands! (or not enough). At this location, the only OFLA cutter that requires ashipping fee (and it about equal to price of cutter) is the recommended 28mm size. Neither Home Depot or Lowe's carry it - nor do the local dealers listed for this area on OFLA's web page - isn't life just like that
    https://www.amazon.com/OLFA-Rotary-C...81732861&psc=1

for prime shipping not bad.

I use the fiskars cutters and they seem to hold up fine. I keep meaning to try the Olfa but never seem to.
    Fiskars can more easily be found at local stores too (craft or big box) I think you have to hit an actual sewing machine store for the Olfa.

Since a rotary cutter is handy for general sewing anyway- seems like a good option and no reason not to use what you got. I could easily see a blade getting through a hammock or two and a few amsteel projects with out serious wear. Course same goes for a basic knife.

For me- I tend to bulk cut most stuff (30-50 layers of fabric) so the rotary blade is typically close to shot by the time that's done.
    I was using Titanium scissors and a sharpener- but that got old after a bit as doing bulk cuts required stopping every dozen or two cuts. It also tended to do badly when trimming the individual tapers... they got a bit mangled or folded vs cut. I have rotary cut those before but they tend to get driven into the cutting mat after awhile as the mat wears down.

The scissors upgrade helped with that quite a bit, it's also just the right size if I want to make a marker cut in a stack of fabric.

All that said- you're talking doing a few cuts vs doing a good bit of volume.

With the 'precision' splicing for the bridges... I double clamp my stuff anyway along the edge of my sewing table when cutting... so I always have the requisite third hand needed

A 16' 1x4 works too if you have room in your garage- all the cordage can get a bit squirmy and sensitive to tension and the only reliable method I've found is to clamp with squeeze clamps on each end. If you pull too tight- the clamp will slip. So you can get the right tension to get the number right without straying too far either way. Not to mention the board is handy for making a template for repeats.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    For a clean cut I use my Light Sabre.
    Mine has too broad of an edge. Instead of trimming a few threads it ends up zapping a whole stretch of chord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Just Bill, yep - that's the link. It opens up to the 45mm cutter that has free shipping with an order over $25 (never a problem). But when you click on the 28mm option, the shipping changes to $10.51 shipping - for a total of around $22.

Then there are the options for "free shipping" from other suppliers if you pay $21.95 for the cutter.

Maybe I'll contact Amazon and ask why the 60mm model is completely free shipping, the 48mm is free shipping if the total order is over $25, and the 28mm model is a fixed $10.51 shipping. All the same manufacturer (so same source?), so why different shipping policies to customer?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Moderator - this was a duplicate post of the one above. Please remove.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    I wouldn't think there is anything magical about the brand of rotary cutter, or the size of the blade. I suggest that it is the quality of the blades you put on ANY rotary cutter that will make/break its ability to perform!

(besides, rotary cutters are just easier to use than scissors anyway... AND you can replace the blades when dull)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast