Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    HG Asym Tarp is worthless. Not nearly large enough to provide cover. If you're getting wet with a tarp, you're doing it wrong or you have the wrong tarp.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    KABOOM! FLASH! WHISSSOOOSUUUUH! FLAP, FLAP! KABOOM!

I had one of those night camped under a HG hex tarp. I had my winter palace with me, but thought it was so gorgeous out that the hex would suffice. During the night a thunder boomer hustled in. I had rain coming in under the tarp greeting the WBRR. I ended up deploying the winter palace over me and holding it stretched out with my hands and feet. My border collie took refuge underneath the WBRR with draped Winter Palace. She is such a trooper to put up with my self inflicted ordeals.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Just last night got slapped around a bit because my hammock/tarp were strung up broadside to heavy rain augmented with strong wind, along with lightning and thunder for about 1.5 hours. Prior to and after that episode, there were several hours of lighter rain. Tarp was HG standard with doors, and there was considerable splash on the UQ (no UPQ!) but it provided an excellent test of the Downtek treatment, which seemed to work well. The EE Revolt 40 remained surprisingly puffy and was barely damp when I packed it this morning. I took it out of the pack at home about 3 hours later and within 15 minutes it seemed to be completely dry.

I used Kevlar straps with no hardware to the hammock CLs, and the sewn channels were a bit damp. No special drip lines were used.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Just last night got slapped around a bit because my hammock/tarp were strung up broadside to heavy rain augmented with strong wind, along with lightning and thunder for about 1.5 hours. Prior to and after that episode, there were several hours of lighter rain. Tarp was HG standard with doors, and there was considerable splash on the UQ (no UPQ!) but it provided an excellent test of the Downtek treatment, which seemed to work well. The EE Revolt 40 remained surprisingly puffy and was barely damp when I packed it this morning. I took it out of the pack at home about 3 hours later and within 15 minutes it seemed to be completely dry.

I used Kevlar straps with no hardware to the hammock CLs, and the sewn channels were a bit damp. No special drip lines were used.
    Will this event add an underquilt protector to your kit?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Will this event add an underquilt protector to your kit?
    Hmm... actually just the reverse... convinced me I probably don't need one!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Got my back and butt soaked one night in a gap high on Mt. Mitchell (highest mtn east of the Mississippi). Due to crowded campsite, wasn't able to hang as I wanted. In fact, my rainfly and buddy's rainfly had to overlap so, we were so crowded. Had to hang right on the edge of top of ridge, oriented toward the west. That night wind over in Tennessee to the west was reported at 80 mph in a nearby town. There was a huge thunderstorm with torrential rain. Have stayed perfectly dry in those before. But the wind that night came straight up the side of the mountain to the gap and right under my MacCat Deluxe (no doors) for about an hour. Water ran down my back and felt as if it puddled under my butt. After it quit, I flipped and put my head where my dry feet were and my feet where my wet head had been. Was fine the rest of the night.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    This isn't the rate of rain that I would call sideways
    I agree. If it had been torrential rain, you would not have been able to maintain a fire. If the winds had been high enough to drive the rain truly sideways, your tarps would have let loose much sooner than they did!

Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    I agree. If it had been torrential rain, you would not have been able to maintain a fire. If the winds had been high enough to drive the rain truly sideways, your tarps would have let loose much sooner than they did!
    No. And I didnt say torrential. I said sideways rain. Provided a screen shot of the radar. If you're going out in a hurricane, dont use an asym. If you might get hit with some thunderstorms, roll the dice. If you THINK I'm wrong, even after video and weather documentation, post your own video.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The first time, I wasn't in my hammock but was using the HH Typhoon (or Monsoon). I hiked to a hill top to play with my portable ham radio setup. The wind - and hence the rain - was blowing all over. I didn't have the removable doors attached. Things (me and radio gear) were getting wet. Once I put the doors on it was a much better shelter.

Another "start without doors and have to add them later" event occurred on Stuart Island in the San Juans. There's a mile long, narrow-ish, bay in front of the camp area. Plenty of time/distance for the weather to gain strength. Because of tree orientation, I had to setup parallel to that mile long funnel. The first night, without doors, I got cold. The second night I put on doors and was fine. Big difference.

Now, all my camping tarps have doors.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-18-2019 at 16:09.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast