Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'

Has anyone gotten wet?

I see lots of posts comparing the different Warbonnet tarps. One of the first times I used my Minifly I was in a nasty storm. Rained ALL night and very heavy with high winds. I stayed dry. I also own the Superfly and, if I had known how bad it was going to be I would have brought that instead. But the point is, I stayed dry with the smallest of the series.

So, my question is, has anyone ever gotten wet under any of these . . . or any other brand? If not, then we can put that to rest and concentrate on cost, weight and features.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorSharp View Post
    I see lots of posts comparing the different Warbonnet tarps. One of the first times I used my Minifly I was in a nasty storm. Rained ALL night and very heavy with high winds. I stayed dry. I also own the Superfly and, if I had known how bad it was going to be I would have brought that instead. But the point is, I stayed dry with the smallest of the series.

So, my question is, has anyone ever gotten wet under any of these . . . or any other brand? If not, then we can put that to rest and concentrate on cost, weight and features.
    Agreed, I have never gotten wet under my $4.80 ProVenture Nylon Hex Tarp.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    I've been in some big storms in my WL Tadpole which I believe is only 7'8" wide and only got wet once-on Springer Mountain in a driving rain. (For some reason, it always seems to be howling on Springer!) Fortunately that night, the rain stopped at around 4 AM then the wind continued for a few hours which dried everything out quite nicely. I think most people can stay dry in the narrower tarps, but may have to pull the tarp down right on top of the hammock's SRL which can make for a less roomy nest. That's OK for a night but I wouldn't care to do that on multiple nights.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I've always been dry in my hammock, even in my old Hennessy with its original tarp setup, which does bring the tarp close to the ridgeline. I just bought a WB minifly this winter and it will get its first nights out in May, so I'm happy to hear it performed well.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have been in torrential Florida rains with HammockGear standard DCF w/doors undeployed and stayed dry. However, in New England winters, I use a larger tarp solely for wind chill protection.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I used to use a Hennessy with stock tarp, and was more of a summer camper then (as opposed to cool weather hiker now). Lots of thunderstorms, never got wet. But when I started using an UQ, I got concerned about windblown rain getting on the quilt, so I got a small hex tarp. I loved the space under the hex, so I got a bigger hex tarp. Then after a while I began to reduce weight and remembered I never got wet under that old stock HH diamond. So, I often use the SLD asym Simplicity tarp now when I'm on a low weight, milder weather hike. Since my bigger tarp has doors, its warmer in colder weather, and its great for sitting underneath when camping.

But no, never got wet. Mostly, when you're in the woods hanging, you're not going to with sufficient straight down coverage. I could see some other locations being more susceptible for hard-driving, sideways rain - like on top of a ridge where there are fewer trees, or maybe on the edge of a lake. So site selection is still an issue to consider, or else then bigger is truly better just in case.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I’ve been wet from the rain while using a tarp. When I first started hammock camping, I had a tarp without doors and hung in the scenic spot instead of the one offering natural protection. Got wind and rain that night and got a bit damp - not terrible but enough for me to learn that lesson.
    Nowadays, with SuperFly coverage, I hang about anywhere. With the smaller tarp, I’m a bit more particular.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I've been soaked in sideways rain that blew the drips on the edge of the tarp up and onto my hammock gear. That's the same storm that produced several tornadoes in the area that same day. Other than the worst of storms most tarps will suffice if the dripping doesn't get you.

https://youtu.be/aVR5Q6oJR6E

This is my HG Asym cuben tarp in a rainstorm. Sideways driving drive. Camped on a ridge. Interesting result.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Wing View Post
    This is my HG Asym cuben tarp in a rainstorm. Sideways driving drive. Camped on a ridge. Interesting result.
    This isn't the rate of rain that I would call sideways

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast