Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    This isn't the rate of rain that I would call sideways
    Color me surprised. You didnt watch the whole video. 10.23.

It was bad.

17160.jpeg
    Last edited by Red Wing; 04-12-2019 at 12:23.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    The only time I got wet in my hammock was with my first hammock, the Hennessey Explorer with asymmetrical tarp. It was 5 years ago at Lance Creek on the AT. I was out in early-April camping with the thru-hikers for a week. It used to be fun before it got so crowded over the past few years. Anyway, we had a nice fire rolling and a huge storm was coming in. Everyone knew it, we just waited for it to come. Pretty soon, you could hear the rain coming through the trees. Someone started yelling, "Hold, hold" like in Braveheart but we all made a mad dash for our hammocks but mostly tents back then.

I was fine until about 2 am when I felt water coming in under my pad which was inside my hammock. It was not the tarp's fault, it was mine for not having it aligned correctly. I could see where the water was coming in by my right shoulder but there was nothing I could do about it. If I got out to adjust, I would be sopping wet as the rain was howling outside. So I sat there all night waiting for either the rain to stop or day light to come so I could get up and moving. That was a long, long night.

The rain never stopped until the next evening so I got up and packed in the rain as soon as it was light. It was like trying to pack standing in the shower. I was soaked from head to toe and all of my clothes were wet.

I hit the trail and hiked south to Gooch Mountain shelter where someone actually got a fire going near nightfall so I was able to get my sleeping bag dried out along with some clothes.

From then forward, I have been upgrading my tarps and now have several UGQ Hangers and Winter Dreams, all 12 footers. I also make sure to always have extra clothes in a dry-sack.

You learn tough lessons on the trail. The important thing is to never repeat your mistakes again.

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    The only time I got wet in my hammock was with my first hammock, the Hennessey Explorer with asymmetrical tarp. It was 5 years ago at Lance Creek on the AT. I was out in early-April camping with the thru-hikers for a week. It used to be fun before it got so crowded over the past few years. Anyway, we had a nice fire rolling and a huge storm was coming in. Everyone knew it, we just waited for it to come. Pretty soon, you could hear the rain coming through the trees. Someone started yelling, "Hold, hold" like in Braveheart but we all made a mad dash for our hammocks but mostly tents back then.

I was fine until about 2 am when I felt water coming in under my pad which was inside my hammock. It was not the tarp's fault, it was mine for not having it aligned correctly. I could see where the water was coming in by my right shoulder but there was nothing I could do about it. If I got out to adjust, I would be sopping wet as the rain was howling outside. So I sat there all night waiting for either the rain to stop or day light to come so I could get up and moving. That was a long, long night.

The rain never stopped until the next evening so I got up and packed in the rain as soon as it was light. It was like trying to pack standing in the shower. I was soaked from head to toe and all of my clothes were wet.

I hit the trail and hiked south to Gooch Mountain shelter where someone actually got a fire going near nightfall so I was able to get my sleeping bag dried out along with some clothes.

From then forward, I have been upgrading my tarps and now have several UGQ Hangers and Winter Dreams, all 12 footers. I also make sure to always have extra clothes in a dry-sack.

You learn tough lessons on the trail. The important thing is to never repeat your mistakes again.
    Sounds about right. People dont consider the splash or mist in the air during rain. I was adamant the next morning that minimal tarps work but you NEED a UQP. My 2qZq is what saved me. The bonus is my asym ans uqp weigh the same as my cuben with doors but the uqp gives me warmth and weather protection instead of just protection. It's a wash on weight but extends my temp range with the uqp. My asym and uqp also pack smaller than my cuben with doors so theres a volume savings as well.

It's not for everyone, which is why you have to do it yourself and see what makes sense for your system. But it does work.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Hummm...I have been soaked too many times to count.

My first hammock was an ENO DN that was the only hammock I have not neen soaked in. Mainly because I never used it in storms.

I had about six inches of H2O in one hammock when I first started Hanging. I took some Vicodin before bed---wipped me out...awoke in a bathtub. Yuck

I learned with my HH stock tarp how to keep dry in gale force winds on the North Oregon Coast. Rain and ocean spray from every direction.

Under protection is a must for splash and flexible wind gusts.

Anyway I learned how to pitch my tarp so whatever the storm does I am covered. I absolutely love hanging in storms as long as trees are not coming down around me. I love the feel of the hammock moving in all directions (up, down, forward, back and side to side absolutely a power trip). Warm cozy and dry in a driving storm.

Anyway, I learned how to stay dry in windy wet storms. Not easy but I am tenacious.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you haven't gotten wet, you're a fair-weather camper. I've gotten wet even with a 4-season tarp with doors.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I’ve never gotten wet in a hammock. Even in the stock Hennessy tarp or my stupid light spinnaker hex tarp during crazy “frog choking” “gully washer” rains. But in those minimal coverage tarps even though I never got wet I didnt’t sleep well because I had one eye opened all night worried I would get wet. Give me a good 11 x 10 tarp or larger and I’ll stay dry AND sleep well with no worries of getting wet.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Oh yeah... very! Wind changed direction multiple times and blew in foot and head ends and pulled my stakes. Twice! Sheesh.

I’ve frequently have had splash underneath and my UQ got damp but I was dry inside. It’s not so much the rain amount, it’s the wind driving the rain all over. I was in an 8 hour plus thunder storm at scout camp two summers ago. We had torrential rain but were protected from strong winds - dry as a bone!
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    Batona Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle Susp
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Wing View Post
    https://youtu.be/aVR5Q6oJR6E

This is my HG Asym cuben tarp in a rainstorm. Sideways driving drive. Camped on a ridge. Interesting result.
    good video!
    Hello I'm new to the forum. I'm also a new backpacker and hammock user.
    Y NOT= TONY SPELLED BACKWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by y not View Post
    good video!
    Appreciate it friend! It was fun.

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Wing View Post
    https://youtu.be/aVR5Q6oJR6E

This is my HG Asym cuben tarp in a rainstorm. Sideways driving drive. Camped on a ridge. Interesting result.
    (Warning for language if you have little ones about while watching.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast