Tarp
    HH Hex Asym
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock w/rings

HHSS Underpad question

Hi all,

I have a question about the underpad. I just received my SS the other day and got around to unpacking it to check it out earlier today. How long does it generally take for the underpad to "decompress"? I have had it laid out for several hours now and I don't see any difference with when I first unrolled it. There are parts of the pad that I can tell are thicker and have an "egg carton" texture. But most of the pad is very flat and thin. Is it normal for it to take this long to get back to its intended thickness? Is there something I should be doing to help it along? I don't see how its going to provide much insulation at all as it is right now.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    My "Egg Carton" Hennessy insulation acted odd when chilly.

Maybe give it a shake- hang it and see if it fills out a bit. I found the Egge Carton insulation to work very well with the Space Blanket. I did have some slight moisture problem in the morning. A bit of airing in clear weather took care of the moisture.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex Asym
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock w/rings
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    My "Egg Carton" Hennessy insulation acted odd when chilly.

Maybe give it a shake- hang it and see if it fills out a bit. I found the Egge Carton insulation to work very well with the Space Blanket. I did have some slight moisture problem in the morning. A bit of airing in clear weather took care of the moisture.
    Thanks for the reply,

I have had is laying on the ground. I will try hanging it and see if that helps. I can see how thick it is supposed to be because some sections of it where less compressed in the stuff sac and they are thick and bumpy. But most of it is much thinner and practically flat...

You may need to dial back your expectations a bit. Mine was always pretty flat. It does compress when tightly rolled, but it doesn't take that long to uncompress when laid out flat. If you're expecting a huge increase in size, like bread rising or something, it's not going to do that. About the only rising will be the egg carton texture. Once that's evident, that's about what you're going to get.

I've found the SS system good to maybe 45 F for me. It's definitely NOT for freezing temperatures. It's a good system for what it does and what it weighs, but it's no underquilt.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    HH Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex Asym
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock w/rings
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    You may need to dial back your expectations a bit. Mine was always pretty flat. It does compress when tightly rolled, but it doesn't take that long to uncompress when laid out flat. If you're expecting a huge increase in size, like bread rising or something, it's not going to do that. About the only rising will be the egg carton texture. Once that's evident, that's about what you're going to get.

I've found the SS system good to maybe 45 F for me. It's definitely NOT for freezing temperatures. It's a good system for what it does and what it weighs, but it's no underquilt.
    Thanks for the input. I'm not a cold weather camper, that's why I feel that the temp capabilities of this system will probably work well for me.

My expectations of the pad are only that the bumps raise up to form the "egg carton" texture. Judging by your post, this seems to be exactly what it is supposed to do.

There are a few areas where it was less compressed what it was rolled up and in these areas I can clearly see the egg carton bumps. But on 80% of the pad, the bumps have not raised up and the pad is less than 1/2 the thickness of the uncompressed areas.

I've emailed Hennessy to get their take on it. But I also wanted to get the opinion of people like you who have experience with the system.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    It would help if you posted a picture. --Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    HH Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex Asym
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock w/rings
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    It would help if you posted a picture. --Kurt
    I tried to take some. But showing a 3 dimensional issue in a 2 dimensional picture is tricky.

I'll see what I can do when I get home from work this afternoon

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Mine is entirely 'egg crate' and as I recall didn't take much time at all to 'decompress'. Call HH service desk. They were all good folks to work with years ago when I last called. The HH package works as designed. In warmer weather I just disconnect the foot end of the foam pad to get a gap for air flow.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex Asym
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock w/rings
    I got an email back from Hennessy CS. They said that it can take up to 24h for the pad to expand when it has been compressed a long time.

I'll see what it looks like when I get home later

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I gently hand washed my "egg crate" I rolled it in a big beach towel to remove the water. The insulation survived the cleaning and perked up nicely. I was very gentle with it while wet.

I have problems with staying warm. The Hennessy system worked well for me. I just was not happy with the HH.

I did have a lot of condensation in the bottom of the set-up. The egg-crate insulation worked well with the mylar for me in Oregon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast