Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Is your HHSS the new one they just came out with- a breathable system? Or old faithful with the not breathable sil-nylon under cover that was unchanged from at least 2006 until the last month or two? If the new one, we may not have the answers you need. But the old one took a pretty good mount of time to decompress after it had been super tightly compressed in that tiny stuff sack for months. So I wouldn't be surprised if it took a couple of days to get all the way back.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex Asym
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock w/rings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Is your HHSS the new one they just came out with- a breathable system? Or old faithful with the not breathable sil-nylon under cover that was unchanged from at least 2006 until the last month or two? If the new one, we may not have the answers you need. But the old one took a pretty good mount of time to decompress after it had been super tightly compressed in that tiny stuff sack for months. So I wouldn't be surprised if it took a couple of days to get all the way back.
    It seems to be the same Supershelter they have been selling for year. By the new breathable system, do you mean the insulated hammocks they are now selling? What I just bought it the OCF pad, silnylon undercover and space blanket.

Turns out you were right BillyBob. Took it about 3 or 4 days, but it is now back to all it's egg-cratey glory. I just had to be patient with it. I'll make sur to store it uncompressed so it doesn't happen again. I imagine that if I temporarily compress it to put it in my pack for a day it will expand more quickly when I set up for the night since it hasn't been compressed as long, or as much. Is this your experience?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fgignac View Post
    It seems to be the same Supershelter they have been selling for year. By the new breathable system, do you mean the insulated hammocks they are now selling? What I just bought it the OCF pad, silnylon undercover and space blanket.

Turns out you were right BillyBob. Took it about 3 or 4 days, but it is now back to all it's egg-cratey glory. I just had to be patient with it. I'll make sur to store it uncompressed so it doesn't happen again. I imagine that if I temporarily compress it to put it in my pack for a day it will expand more quickly when I set up for the night since it hasn't been compressed as long, or as much. Is this your experience?
    Yes, that is my experience. And yes, by "new breathable one they just came out with" I am referring to the " insulated hammocks they are now selling". Sounds like you got old faithful. Be sure to use that space blanket as directed, particularly way up in cold Canada. And if you find you need a boost( for me about just below freezing) don't hesitate to stuff whatever insulation you don't need to sleep in down under the OCF pad. Or the lightest stuff can go on top of the pad, but everything- or at least most of it- under the space blanket. It can make an amazing difference. Let us know how it works for you, or not. You want to keep the space blanket as warm as possible, to minimize condensation.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex Asym
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock w/rings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Yes, that is my experience. And yes, by "new breathable one they just came out with" I am referring to the " insulated hammocks they are now selling". Sounds like you got old faithful. Be sure to use that space blanket as directed, particularly way up in cold Canada. And if you find you need a boost( for me about just below freezing) don't hesitate to stuff whatever insulation you don't need to sleep in down under the OCF pad. Or the lightest stuff can go on top of the pad, but everything- or at least most of it- under the space blanket. It can make an amazing difference. Let us know how it works for you, or not. You want to keep the space blanket as warm as possible, to minimize condensation.
    After reading a couple of other threads that you and several others contributed to, I have already bought the orange SOL space blanket. I don't really do any cold weather camping. But I have seen nights in august around here where the temp drops to near freezing. So that's as low as I need to go. From what I have read from you and others, I should be well within the capabilities of this system. Especially if I augment it a little as you suggested.

I have very little experience hammock camping, and this is my first insulation system, other than the pad I have been using. Really looking forward to giving it a try in a few weeks.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    My "Egg Carton" Hennessy insulation acted odd when chilly.

Maybe give it a shake- hang it and see if it fills out a bit. I found the Egge Carton insulation to work very well with the Space Blanket. I did have some slight moisture problem in the morning. A bit of airing in clear weather took care of the moisture.
    Hi Ironfish, I realize you don't use it anymore, being a WBRR convert- I also like that hammock. But I am curious, did you "have some slight moisture problem in the morning" when using the space blanket(SB), underneath the hammock on top of the HH pad? And if so, inside the hammock, or under the hammock? I am always curious when I read of that happening, trying to figure out the cause, as I never had it happen UNLESS I failed to use the SB. And I know of a few other folks with the same experience as mine, but also a few other than yourself who have had some problems. Another thing I do is wrap the edge of the SB around and under the edges of the pad. Actually, in recent years, I finally attached the SB to the pad with a few Kam Snaps, so now it is always in place where I want it to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fgignac View Post
    After reading a couple of other threads that you and several others contributed to, I have already bought the orange SOL space blanket. I don't really do any cold weather camping. But I have seen nights in august around here where the temp drops to near freezing. So that's as low as I need to go. From what I have read from you and others, I should be well within the capabilities of this system. Especially if I augment it a little as you suggested.

I have very little experience hammock camping, and this is my first insulation system, other than the pad I have been using. Really looking forward to giving it a try in a few weeks.
    Looks like your season is just around the corner! Rather the opposite for me, it will soon be too hot for me to desire hanging in a hammock, even without any insulation top or bottom! I have about 9 usable(for outdoor rec) months per year, and 3 not so much unless I travel.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12