Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Superfly vs. Minifly & UQP

Wondering if the combination of Minifly & UQP will yeild similar protection and warmth as the Superfly alone being near the same weight?

Thoughts?
    Instagram: TakeaHikeSpike
    Web: spike.ca
    YouTube: TakeaHikeSpike

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Warmth perhaps, but I just prefer having the extra real estate to work/pack and such. I'm happy to carry a larger tarp but YMMV.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Summer I’d say it would be a wash. Cold/winter weather - I’d say the SuperFly would be better. It’s going to stop most all the wind.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Wondering if the combination of Minifly & UQP will yeild similar protection and warmth as the Superfly alone being near the same weight?

Thoughts?
    I don't own a minifly yet but I see one in my future. I always carry my 2QZQ breathable UQP. Owning a full set of 50/40/20/-10 quilts the UQP allows me to bring a light quiltset which saves pack space and weight.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yeah, wind blocking with Superfly doors makes it warmer, and underneath protection makes the Mini/UQP slightly better, though like zukiguy says, its nice to have that extra room underneath the bigger tarp. I'm almost always in porch mode anyway, keeping one side and door employed leaving the rest wide open to see, something I'm probably not going to do with the mini. And as O&B points out, the UQP helps when you need to get the most out of your UQ in cooler weather, and truth is I'm often taking it even with the larger tarp.

My impression of the Minifly is that its an "enclosing" type of shelter, whereas I ditched tenting because I didn't want to feel enclosed. So, I do something similar to what you're considering which is that I use an asym diamond with the UQP in warmer 3s weather when I want less weight and bulk. Or I might use a summer sock if I think I need a net instead of the UQP. The diamond is a good bit less weight than the Mini, and I don't consider the coverage to be that far off from the Mini - just my opinion, though clearly the Mini is capable of more coverage in specific circumstances. It can also be warmer than the diamond because of how it encloses you.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I’ll just be echoing others, but I think it just depends on your personal preference for being enclosed and what type of weather you’ll be facing. Also whether this is your only tarp or it’ll you’re considering adding to your collection.
    If first tarp, I go for Superfly all the way. It’s just too versatile not to have.

If an additional tarp then personally I would use your idea for the mini in most trips and using the Superfly for winter and trips where rain or winds are expected to be high. Not only does the Superfly provide more protection, but in high winds the side pullouts add an extra margin of stability and wind shedding. The other instance for the Superfly would be in cases where you think you might need to go to ground. The Superfly can be setup as a bomber ground shelter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I only have, need one tarp. The superfly. Winter and storms doors are deployed. Light wind or rain conditions doors are pulled back. Summer/no wind/no rain= no tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Id go with the Superfly IMHO.
    My reasoning is that its better to have 'too much' than not enough, and it offers more versatility.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    People LOVE the Superfly. I've never owned or used one because of its, to me, very heavy weight - 18-20oz is a lot. I briefly considered a Minifly for bit at its much more palatable weight of 11.75oz (at its lightest). In the end I went an entirely different way. Have you thought of a hex tarp and separate doors for when the wind and rain might be bad?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have never understood why people use UQPs. Your tarp isn't cutting it, so you buy a UQP? Makes no sense to me. I'll take a 4-season tarp every day and twice on Sunday.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast