Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    SeaToSummit Double
    Suspension
    SeaToSummit
    Images
    So I tried sleeping in my hammock again a few nights ago at a different location (closer to where I live) with ear plugs and a sleep/eye mask, I still got the feeling of being watched, maybe hammock sleeping is not for me at this time.

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey83 View Post
    I tried sleeping in my hammock for the first time a couple nights ago by a lake, after a while I got the feeling someone or something was keeping an eye on me, and not in the good way either.

I've never packed up and left a campsite that fast before, there was no sounds at all and in the forest up a mountain.
    Sometimes I think that our society has become too city-fied. We need to get out in the woods and embrace being an apex predator. When it comes down to it, nothing outside of another human really wants a piece of you. Even a bear, alligator, etc doesn't really want to face our problem-solving skills and tool utilization. Maybe let out a giant roar or something before going to bed to let everything know that your space is your's. Take precautions, but be brave and tough!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    So I tried sleeping in my hammock again a few nights ago at a different location (closer to where I live) with ear plugs and a sleep/eye mask, I still got the feeling of being watched, maybe hammock sleeping is not for me at this time.
    It was me. Sorry.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Have you tent camped and/or are you okay in a tent? If so, maybe a large tarp with complete coverage would help.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SeaToSummit Double
    Suspension
    SeaToSummit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Have you tent camped and/or are you okay in a tent? If so, maybe a large tarp with complete coverage would help.
    I'm new to the camping "scene", I just wanted to try it, and so far I prefer a hammock as that is so much more comfortable.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'm new to the camping "scene", I just wanted to try it, and so far I prefer a hammock as that is so much more comfortable.
    OK, do you have a dog?

A properly trained dog might help because you can mentally relax knowing that the dog will alert you if something comes sniffing around.

There are small tents for dogs such as this one, so your dog doesn't have to sleep in the hammock with you.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SeaToSummit Double
    Suspension
    SeaToSummit
    Images
    Nope, no dog.

Quote Originally Posted by poor_jalopy View Post
    nothing outside of another human really wants a piece of you.
    that may well be the fear for a lot of people though, especially where society is obsessed with truecrime stories..

i feel more secure and out the way in the air than i ever did on the ground though, even though i can see why some might feel like they have their back to danger. i'd guess thats just getting comfortable sleeping outdoors though.
    good site selection helps. i have a rule that if it's gonna be me getting out of bed to deal with any issues (it is), then i pick the campsite!

i inhabit an island where the most dangerous animals you might meet hiking/camping are cows. being a cow pinata is slightly better than being trampled! camped in the states for the first time on a recent trip and it did take a bit of getting used to as i was suddenly having to consider a lot more things regards wildlife.

i sleep pretty badly at home anyways, so expect to be awake a lot in the hammock. i just see it as a positive that i get to enjoy the beautiful scenery at night though!

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I think part of the equation is a little claustrophobia for me in a hammock,plus being suspended on amsteel and strap material,and a dash of anxiety thrown in on top of exhaustion at the end of day.
    Makes it difficult to relax sometimes and apparently I am not alone.

But when I do finally drift off to sleep it is usually a deep sleep and I NEVER wake up with sore joints from sleeping on the ground like I did way back in the 20th century when I was one of those "tent people."

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Nope, no dog.
    Well, since you've just started recently I'd say give it some time.

A good 15-20 mile walk, nice dinner, melatonin and ear plugs is usually a good formula, but 20-30 nights with absolutely nothing bad happening will help a lot as well.

I've mentioned before—and it's still a biggie for me—is having gear and food stowed properly and a good tarp pitch. This brings peace of mind, knowing that I've got nothing to worry about even if it starts raining. On one recent trip there was about a 7% chance of a passing shower, and so of course it started raining a little after 2 a.m. Glad the tarp was up and pitched properly, went right back to sleep with the pitter-patter of rain...

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234