Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    +1 on the earplugs!

I miss hearing the morning sounds as the forest wakes up...but I’ll just come late to that concert if my earplugs allow me to sleep soundly through the night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Same struggles here. I've tried a few different hammocks, currently using the WBRR. If I was a back sleeper, anything would work but, as a rotisserie sleeper, hammocks aren't perfect, though the RR is close. I still can't get comfortable on my side in one. I've spent up to a week sleeping in a hammock, been so tired I thought I would die, tried sleep aid, whisky, ear plugs and masks but, still haven't found the eutopian sleep that people rave about but, I'm getting closer.

Hammock
    13 foot La Siesta
    not a camper so all i have done is take a nap outside in a hammock but i know if i were to sleep outtside in a hammock or not, i sleep very lightly. i would say keep on trying like everyone says your body has to get used to it. i found it takes awhile one to adjust but also all the tweeking to get it right. also how do you sleep are you a back sleeper or do you like sleeping on your side. i found there are times no matter how comfortable i am, i have to fall asleep on my side even though sleeping on my back seems to be better and more comfortable. habits can be hard to change.
    btw full time hanger for almost a year
    Ashley
    Last edited by Festinalente; 04-10-2019 at 23:08. Reason: to add

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Get out on a good backpacking trip and put in some miles on the trail. Good hard miles. Eat a good meal and crawl in. If that does not do it for ya' then I don't know what will.
    It does take some times for some folks to get it.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    I had this same problem for a long time. The first times I tried to sleep in a hammock I stayed up almost all night long. The funny thing was that even though I didn't get much sleep, I still felt as well as I did after a good night's sleep at home. Now, after many more nights in the air, I'm getting to the other extreme-I still don't sleep all night through, but I'm getting close. On a trip last weekend, on my last night out I was in the hammock for twelve hours and slept for at least eight of those, maybe nine. A few other things in addition to what others have said: Z-Quill works well for me as a sleep aid. Another huge mistake I made early on was rushing the setup of the hammock. In my haste to get camp set up, sometimes I wouldn't hang the foot end higher or check the ridgeline to ensure proper sag. Take your time and get this right and you won't have to worry about things during the night.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The more you think about whether you are going to sleep well in a hammock, the less likely it is that you will sleep well. It's the same effect when someone says, "Don't think about pink elephants..." - you know what happens after that.

One day pink elephants will not appear in your mind and one day you will sleep well in a hammock - if the only thing preventing a good night's sleep is thinking about it too much.
    The game is the best teacher.

Well, when I travel on business, I get grossed out by the sheets in the hotel and that affects my sleep. I do sleep quite well at home in my bed and on the ground on backpacking trips. Though at age 55 I find a solid 6.5 hours enough and I'm not a late sleeper at all and prefer it that way. I have yet to spend a night in a real backpacking hammock; but should within the next few weeks.

And lots of great recommendations in this thread. I like the idea of tying all the loose ends up like food bag, putting all the necessary gear away, etc. Relaxes the mind.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY APEX TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Thanks for all the great responses, I've had a really busy time at work and haven't made it back to the forum since posting. Most of my nights in a hammock have been during a 2-3 night hiking trips so I've definitely been tired. I do feel well-rested in the morning, and I'm not annoyed when I find myself awake since I realize I'm hanging between two trees someplace nice. I've tried the typical things, being well fed, making sure I'm clean and wearing fresh sleeping clothes. I have a nice camping pillow but can't tolerate earplugs (noise has never been a bother).

This thread wasn't so much about seeking advice, though I'm happy to receive it; I just wanted to share what my nights are like and see how many others have the same experience. I know when I first started after reading on here so much about how nice it is to hang that you "sleep so hard your Zzzzs are counting you!" If other infrequent or new hangers didn't experience that, don't be too bothered about it.

Thanks all!

Hammock
    SeaToSummit Double
    Suspension
    SeaToSummit
    Images
    I tried sleeping in my hammock for the first time a couple nights ago by a lake, after a while I got the feeling someone or something was keeping an eye on me, and not in the good way either.

I've never packed up and left a campsite that fast before, there was no sounds at all and in the forest up a mountain.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey83 View Post
    I tried sleeping in my hammock for the first time a couple nights ago by a lake, after a while I got the feeling someone or something was keeping an eye on me, and not in the good way either.

I've never packed up and left a campsite that fast before, there was no sounds at all and in the forest up a mountain.
    New folks often feel a bit exposed the first time camping overnight in a hammock. Eventually comfort will win out and you'll get used to it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast