WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY APEX TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies

Trouble sleeping

Just a confessional here while it was on my mind. Figured I'd let the community chime in and see how common this is.

I've probably spent about 20 total nights in a couple of different hammocks (5-8 in an Eno doublenest and the rest in a WBBB). I can't say that I've ever slept great in either one. I'm comfortable all night long and any temperature issues have almost always been sorted out with tweaks on-site, but that solid 8-hour swinging slumber has eluded me.

Be that as it may, my ground days are over unless hanging just isn't an option.

One of these days I'd like to wake up to that bright 10am sunshine silhouetting tree branches on my tarp with no recollection past going to bed... what a shame, guess I'll have to keep trying!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Do keep on trying. It took me a good handful of nights in a hammock for my body to figure out it was okay for my "bed" to be moving underneath me at night. Once that happened, it was smooth sleeping from there. I switched over to a hammock at home a couple/few years ago, and haven't looked back.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Try a large rum drink about 30 mins before ya hit the sack. Slumber citymy man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Are your 20 nights sequential or single nights here and there. Many of us take a couple of nights in a row for our bodies to adjust to a new sleeping environment and routine. I personally take 2-3 nights in a row before things even out and I sleep long stretches. The first night I tend to get rest but not deep sleep. So for the first couple of nights, I take a melatonin or Tylenol PM to help knock me out. Add a book or some relaxing music to help and even if I don't get a lot of sleep I do feel relaxed and recover well even from a day of hiking.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When I first started hammocking, I had to hike all day to get a good night's sleep in a hammock. Then I injured my back, and the only way I could get any sleep at all was in a hammock I hung in my bedroom. After about three months of sleeping in that hammock, my back got better, and I was able to return to my bed. But that three months of sleeping every night in a hammock sure made it easy - now I can hang anywhere, any time and fall asleep immediately!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Are your 20 nights sequential or single nights here and there. Many of us take a couple of nights in a row for our bodies to adjust to a new sleeping environment and routine. I personally take 2-3 nights in a row before things even out and I sleep long stretches. The first night I tend to get rest but not deep sleep. So for the first couple of nights, I take a melatonin or Tylenol PM to help knock me out. Add a book or some relaxing music to help and even if I don't get a lot of sleep I do feel relaxed and recover well even from a day of hiking.
    Second night I always sleep better than the first on an outing, even though I sleep in a hammock at home.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    Down UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Cinch
    Just curious and for comparison sake - are you able to get a solid 8 or more at home in your bed?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I sleep well in the hammock but there are certain things—in addition to the requisite trip to water the bushes—that can wake me up during the night, including pitter-patter of rain, coyotes, birds (really bad episode once with whipporwills that just.... wouldn't.... shuddup already!) and sometimes even road noise. However, a good formula for sleeping well is a long hike, good dinner, EAR PLUGS, melatonin, and maybe a nip of Jack Daniel's.

Another thing is knowing that everything in camp is squared away so that you don't worry about little stuff. Good bear bag hang, no gear left out where chipmunks or raccoons or porcupines can mess with it (they love to chew back belts, etc for the salt!) and tarp stakes are very solid so no worries if the wind kicks up, pack covered if it rains, etc.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Lots of people have trouble sleeping in a hammock. I often have trouble sleeping in my bed at home, and the strange environment with all the noises in the woods often makes things worse. It was no better on the ground; in fact it was worse. In a hammock I often lay awake all night. On the ground I often lay awake uncomfortably all night.

I've developed a routine over the last five years. It doesn't guarantee a good night's sleep, but it helps.

1. Eye mask and ear plugs. My usualy hiking partner snores loud enough that even if I hang 20 yards away it's still loud.Plus full moons or early Summer sun makes sleep hard.
    2. A good pillow.I sleep on my side and a quality (Sea to Summit) inflatable pillow allows me to get my head just right.
    3. I bring a book or magazine to read. Sometimes I need to read for 3 or 4 hours before I actually feel sleepy.
    4. I avoid alcohol in any significant quantity. Alcohol may make falling asleep a little easier, but it makes overall sleep worse. (https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorder.../alcohol-sleep)

Like a few others, often sleep gets better the longer I'm out in the woods. I just wish I had the time for long trips these days,.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbed my toe View Post
    Just a confessional here while it was on my mind. Figured I'd let the community chime in and see how common this is.

I've probably spent about 20 total nights in a couple of different hammocks (5-8 in an Eno doublenest and the rest in a WBBB). I can't say that I've ever slept great in either one. I'm comfortable all night long and any temperature issues have almost always been sorted out with tweaks on-site, but that solid 8-hour swinging slumber has eluded me.

Be that as it may, my ground days are over unless hanging just isn't an option.

One of these days I'd like to wake up to that bright 10am sunshine silhouetting tree branches on my tarp with no recollection past going to bed... what a shame, guess I'll have to keep trying!
    Some say the rocking really helps them fall asleep like rocking babies. Not me if my inter-ear detects any movement I can not fall asleep. I use all 4 hammock tieouts to stop the rocking an that has worked well. If you have a basement or screeened in porch in summer you can also move to that several nights a week to help get your body used to a new sleeping arangements. The older we get the more we hate change.

As for sleeping in until 10 am I am retired and do that as much as possible. My fix was a black tarp and black hammock top cover.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast