11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I was thinking the stillwater shop or Hotel. Yes, Saturday am. Any plans for the day? They have boat rentals. Anyone else fish?

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Not one opinnion on a date. I'm going to call it off. Too late now for any substantial planning. Sorry I let you down.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    You didn't let anyone down. Organizing a NY group hang isn't easy. I've never been to one.
    That being said, I'm still hoping to do a paddle trip in the ADK's 3rd or 4th weekend in September.
    Keep you posted.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    You didn't let anyone down. Organizing a NY group hang isn't easy. I've never been to one.
    I've never been to one either. The Adirondacks (and NY, in general) seems like a dead zone for group hangs.

hk2001 started a thread last year about an Adirondacks hang. I commented that I'd be surprised if any ADK hang had so much as 12 to 20 participants, but hk2001 confidently predicted that he knew 50 people who would attend an ADK group hang.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ht=adirondacks

However, as LuvmyBonnet said in that thread, "NY hangs just never seem to happen," and that thread faded away with nothing ever planned, and nothing ever happened. Maybe one day, there will be an ADK group hang . . . .
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was part of an organized paddling weekend on the ADK forum the past few years. One year we had 7 of us, last year we had 5 of us including the organizer, myself and daughter. This year it was just myself. It is tough to pick a weekend everybody is able to make.
    Right now we just completed a poll for a fall trip. October 4-6 on the Cedar River Flow won out. There will be a hangar or two, if anybody wants to join in, the more the merrier. I have a few canoes if anybody needs, there are also some sites near the dam put in which don't need to paddled to. It is a shallow lake, with some campsites along both shores, just a dammed up small river which may be paddled upstream to a certain point before some rapids. I haven't been there yet but looking forward to it.
    https://andyarthur.org/map-cedar-river-flow-2.html

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by electbc View Post
    I was part of an organized paddling weekend on the ADK forum the past few years. One year we had 7 of us, last year we had 5 of us including the organizer, myself and daughter. This year it was just myself. It is tough to pick a weekend everybody is able to make.
    Right now we just completed a poll for a fall trip. October 4-6 on the Cedar River Flow won out. There will be a hangar or two, if anybody wants to join in, the more the merrier. I have a few canoes if anybody needs, there are also some sites near the dam put in which don't need to paddled to. It is a shallow lake, with some campsites along both shores, just a dammed up small river which may be paddled upstream to a certain point before some rapids. I haven't been there yet but looking forward to it.
    https://andyarthur.org/map-cedar-river-flow-2.html
    I've camped in that area before. I would consider joining but that weekend doesn't work for me.

I am thinking about doing Stillwater reservoir Sept 27-29 if anyone is interested.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    A DATE!!!!!! I may very well be there. I haven't had the Canoe wet once this tear....

Ha! Fruedian slip, Year.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    I doubt that I can make it but just want to add that there is also some free roadside camping along the Moose River Road if the sites around the dam are full. Also, the sites at the dam can get noisy. I've camped in the roadside spots and they are usually very quiet with lots of good spots to hang. Not spaced too close together. That weekend is also a couple weeks ahead of hunting season so there will be less competition for space than if you go later in the month.

The Moose River Road, which starts at the small cabins near the dam, is a good mt. biking road with easy to moderate climbs and a pretty good dirt surface. Not much in the way of car traffic. Google Maps will show this end as the Northville / Lake Placid Trail as that trail follows a short section of the road.

A nearby day hike could be to the Wakely Fire Tower. The tower has been renovated recently (it was closed when I was there two years ago.) It's about a 6 mile or less round trip, moderate climb for two miles, then a steeper climb the last mile. The trail head is a short hike from the dam. You will pass it on the right on your drive in from Indian Lake.

Wish I could be there. My next trip north will be Thanksgiving Week. Hope there's snow.

Wayne
    Last edited by Muddy Creek; 09-11-2019 at 10:55.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the info Muddy Creek. Looks like I will need to take an extra day there. There was a post on the ADK forum about a theft of camping equipment from a MRP campsite while the owner was out hiking. Just letting you know cause it is so easily accessible from the road along that side. Lock up your hammock gear in the vehicle while leaving the site for a while, hopefully they wont bother breaking in. Hiding a game camera was also a suggestion on the post.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    Yeah, theft seems to be a growing problem in the Adirondacks.

I'm planning to make the trip up, either Friday or early Saturday. A change of plans gives me a day off that I can use for a 3-day weekend. I have to combine it with delivering my pumpkin harvest to the grand-kids in Albany. Just need to figure whether to take Friday or Monday off.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast