Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I have been interested in going there for the canoeing and hiking/backpacking up the Red Horse Trail. Can't make it until September though, since the car I use to haul the canoe is not available until then (my son uses the car when home but leaves in late August for college). Would be interested any postings from those who go in August.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailBlaser View Post
    Would be interested any postings from those who go in August.
    I have no intentions on going back in till the feeding frenzy is over.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    We should work on setting a date. Maybe the second or third weekend of September? I don't even care if it snows...
    I think I'd be good with 3rd or even 4th weekend of September. I would be thrilled if it snowed! That's probably a bit to ask for. As long as it's not enough snow to bring the throngs of snowmobilers. I think that the hotel is filled with them in the winter. I am looking forward to another meal at that hotel. Best breakfast I've had in a while!
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    There has been a lot of talk about campsites. I would much prefer to hike into the wilderness area and hang. Here are the rules for such a venture. I think a 1 hour hike or so would put us in a good area for an overnight. If this is ging to be to physically taxing on anyone please say someting. no judging. Just need a plan we are only a few weeks away.

Plan Ahead
    Check weather and trail conditions, regulations, and advisories before you travel. Have an alternative plan ready to ensure you can make the most of your time in the Adirondacks.
    • Know the group size regulations: Group size regulations allow for groups of no more than 15 people for a day hike and no more than eight people for an overnight trip. This is to help reduce the amount of impact to the trail system or camping area and reduce the impact to the experience of those around your group.
    o When hiking in a group, hike single file so your boots fall in line with the hiker ahead of you. This keeps the impact to the soil focused to one central spot on the trail and protects the outer edge of the trail and surrounding vegetation from being trampled.
    o When camping in a group, keep your tents close together and your camp site contained to a small radius. This will focus your group's impact to the designated camping area, protecting the surrounding forest and vegetation.
    o In both group situations, always be respectful of other hikers and campers by keeping your noise level to a minimum, respecting other hikers' abilities and speed, keeping a clean campsite, and always carrying out what you carried in.
    • Keep pets on leashes (Pets are required to be leashed in the High Peaks Wilderness): Wildlife is very active this time of year as they prepare for the upcoming winter. Keeping your pet on a leash avoids startling wildlife or trampling habitats. This protects your pet from negative encounters with larger wildlife and also other pets. Others may not feel the same about your pet as you do as a lot of people and children have fears of these animals. Be considerate of others fears and discomforts by keeping your pet c

Hammock
    cheap old one
    Tarp
    DIY underquilt
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Just need a plan we are only a few weeks away.
    Does this mean a date has been chosen? If so when is it?

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    No date chosen yet. Does anyone want to meet me up there this saturday? If not I may go on my own. I wanted to go to the airshow at pocono but...

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I had to put my dog down. Cancer took her in just 3 weeks after the biopsy results. It is now in the low 50's nearly every night. No telling what September may bring.

We have to decide the 13th, 14th, and 15th before MAHHA or 27th,28th, and 29th after it. My opinnion is maybe the weekend of the 13th might be to close to the beginning of the new school year when the kids will still be settling in. I don't have children so just guessing.

Do we still have a lot of interest in this? I'm excited about it, new under quilt on it's way and 600' of 7/64th amsteel ! I'll have some amsteel stuff to give away when we get there. CL'S, Whoopies, and UCR's!!

I had a very in depth conversation with a forest ranger at the new york state fair. We can hammock camp anywhere in the wilderness forest under 8 people for up to 3 nights. If there are more than 8 we need to seperate to two areas with less than 8. Should be easy enough to hke in a little ways north of stillwater and set up. I will scout it out to find what is feasible areas before hand. I have a lot of vacation time. Deer flies here are gone except for mid day highs.

second week 13-15th or 4th week 27th -29th?
    Last edited by XJ35S; 08-26-2019 at 10:32.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm out on this one. I can paddle but can't hike.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So many group trips, so few weekends. 13th 20th and 27th of Sept. are out for me. Cedar River Flow paddling trip is planned for the 27th if anybody is interested.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    You don't have to be out. Just reserve a camp site. My plan I thnk I stated it earlier but maybe not, was to meet/ hang out at the resevoir and camp elsewhere at night. There is a campsite up near Raven Lake That would put you close to where we might hang ? Perhaps a different location? Options open as date isn't set yet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You don't have to be out. Just reserve a camp site. My plan I thnk I stated it earlier but maybe not, was to meet/ hang out at the resevoir and camp elsewhere at night. There is a campsite up near Raven Lake That would put you close to where we might hang ? Perhaps a different location? Options open as date isn't set yet.
    Meet and hang out at reservoir? You mean at the put in or at a specific site? When would the meet up be, Saturday AM?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast