Looking for overnight hike suggestions

Hi all. I'm looking to do an overnight hike with a couple of boy scouts sometime in May. MA or the White Mountains would be best, driving-wise, and we're looking for something of moderate difficulty, maybe 12-18 miles total. Tully State Park is one option that's been mentioned to me. Any other suggestions? thanks.

Not sure if it's the same, but look up the Tully Trail loop. If starting at the Tully lake campground, you can make your way to the shelter at Royalston Falls and back in an overnighter. No real mountains but a few really nice prominatories/lookouts. Hiking through the Falls chasm is really cool and I saw salamanders frequently. Some very mild scampering up and down but it's mininal.

There's also the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway which has shelteres spaced nicely along the way. It starts (finishes?) from the top of Monadnock - which also has a nice trail system and ample camping.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thinking about it more... taking Scouts up and down Monanock and camping at the park would be pretty cool. I would have geeked out over it when I was in Scouts.

There's also a trail up Mt Kearsarge that's wonderful.

You didn't mention if it's Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts - but either way, it's herding cats. You'll have achievers and stragglers. The cool thing about camping and hiking Monadnock is that you can setup camp and then the hikers don't have to carry everything up and back down. They can take day packs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    We just did the Tully Trail last weekend. We started at the campground and did the east side of the loop as an out and back. On the return trip you can take the bike trail along Long Pond and save yourself some elevation and mileage if the kids are feeling it on day 2, but the trail is overall flat on the east side. Be careful not to miss the turn into the woods after the short road walk. The shelter and Royalston Falls were very popular when we were there. 6 people in the shelter and an endless stream of people going past to the falls. The shelter is on a hillside with somewhat limited hanging opportunities and no real tenting options.

If doing the MSG, the north end by Sunapee is my favorite section. Max Israel and Steve Galpin are the best campsites on the trail and closest to my favorite parts: Lake Solitude and Lucia's Lookout.

For the Whites, May will greet you with some interesting water crossings and snow at anything resembling elevation. Flat Mountain Pond or Black Mtn Pond from Bennett St are some good ones without too much effort, great campsites. Mt Cube and the Hexacuba Shelter might fit the bill. Smarts Mtn has a firetower and cabin on top to keep people entertained and plenty of hanging available around the cabin.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

NJ Pine Barrens/Batona Overnight

I would like to do a weekend overnight backpacking trip in November in the Pine Barrens, preferably on the Batona Trail. Having never hiked the PB or the trail, I'd appreciate suggestions for an out/back of 7-10 miles each way, with a nice place to hang (maybe with some solitude) for the overnight. Where would I start? Where would I camp? Trail conditions? Water supply? I'm also considering a canoe trip, so info on that would be appreciated as well. Thanks.
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailBlaser View Post
    I would like to do a weekend overnight backpacking trip in November in the Pine Barrens, preferably on the Batona Trail. Having never hiked the PB or the trail, I'd appreciate suggestions for an out/back of 7-10 miles each way, with a nice place to hang (maybe with some solitude) for the overnight. Where would I start? Where would I camp? Trail conditions? Water supply? I'm also considering a canoe trip, so info on that would be appreciated as well. Thanks.
    I guess this old thread is OK to hijack. I haven't hiked any of the trails in the barrens but I canoed the Mullica several times. The Batsto was clogged with blowdown as of this past spring and was un-passable, I don't know if this has changed. The Mullica is narrow, windy and has a few trees to go under and over. They did do a decent job this year to clear it and it is a pretty decent trip with the campground halfway. The scenery isn't spectacular but it has a few nice openings where it can be scenic. #7&8 are decent hanging sites and probably quieter if the CG is busy.
    You would need a shuttle to get to the put in or take out if you are the only vehicle. The safest place to park overnight is at Batsto Village, an overnight parking pass is free at the visitors center.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Thanks very much electbc, I appreciate the info.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I believe Coldfeet is planning a fall Mullica trip and then there is always the Fall Hang at Batona.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ar-Piney-Woods

• + New Posts