hummingbird single+
    Tarp
    zpacks 7x9
    Insulation
    HG econ 30º
    Suspension
    out-of-school

Square tarp in diamond configuration

Anyone share tips about using a square tarp in a diamond configuration with a hammock? I'm a total noob, but i'm looking to build a flexible setup for both ground camping and hanging… Square tarp seems like the way to go, but i want to make sure i'm not overthinking it.

I don't plan to do extreme conditions, just want something that will handle AT-like backpacking and maybe some occasional national parks visits.

Images
    Any question in particular? Do you already have a square tarp and wanting to use that in lieu of buying a new tarp?

I have a 10'x10' square tarp that I use at home often. It's a PU coated silnylon tarp by Aqua Quest. Bulky, heavy, but reliable. I use it not as a diamond though, but a rectangular A-frame. It's not absolutely ideal for coverage, but I find that a 10' ridgeline tarp over an 11' hammock (with 110" ridgeline) does provide enough coverage to stay dry as long as there's not sideways rain coming in under the tarp at the head and foot ends. The same tarp pitched as a diamond would have over a 14' ridgeline, offering tons of coverage, but I don't have room for that at home.

If you don't have any tarp and need to buy one with plans to take it backpacking, I'd suggest a more hammock-specific shape. Asym will be the lightest if you're willing to risk minimal coverage. Hex with 11' ridgeline is probably the most common shape. Or 11'-12' hex with doors (winter tarp) for maximum coverage.

Silpoly is my material of choice. DCF (Dyneema Composite Fabric, formerly Cuben fiber) is the lightest material, though more expensive and potentially bulkier than silpoly.

If you're interested in a hammock-specific tarp for a really good price, I'd recommend the Penny Pincher Hanger 11 hex tarp from UGQ. Price starts at $85 ($80 without stuff sack) for a quality, lightweight tarp (not ultralight... it's 13.5 oz), handmade in the USA.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 04-09-2019 at 11:40.

Hammock
    hummingbird single+
    Tarp
    zpacks 7x9
    Insulation
    HG econ 30º
    Suspension
    out-of-school
    I don't have a square tarp (well, i do, but it's a cheap blue one for car camping). But I would like something that is flexible enough to pitch in a variety of configurations and to use without a hammock for ground camping. I'm also trying to build a < 8 lbs base pack weight, so going with reasonably light stuff is a plus in my book. Mostly following Adventure Alan's 5 lb guide, but with some wiggle room for more flexible options depending on where i'm headed.

Images
    Well, you might consider something like an 8' x 10' flat tarp, which could be set up a variety of ways on the ground, and could be pitched on the diagonal over a hammock to give asym coverage.

That would be a bit lighter and less bulky than a 10x10 square, and would give you an almost 13' tarp ridgeline when pitched diagonally.

8lb BW is fairly ambitious, so you'd probably want to consider really light materials, like 0.51ozsy DCF or 7d silpoly.

If you wanted a wicked light tarp, check out an 11ft ridgeline asym in 0.51 DCF. It would probably come out at less that 4 oz.

Hammock
    hummingbird single+
    Tarp
    zpacks 7x9
    Insulation
    HG econ 30º
    Suspension
    out-of-school
    I was thinking an 8.5' square tarp in DCF.

Images
    That would give a 12' ridgeline on the diagonal, and probably weigh about 5 oz... I'm guessing. 8.03 sq yds = 4.09oz (for 0.51 DCF), plus some extra for tape, reinforcements, hardware, etc.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I think you're over thinking it. cmc4free offers some good suggestions. A flat tarp, non-square is generally preferred for both ground and hammock use and as stated 8 x 10 is a common configuration as is 7x9 (see Borah for example). You have a plethora of options when it comes to tarps that can be used on the ground and in the air. It's really more about budget and how you want to use it. If you think you're going to hang more often than be on the ground, get a hammock specific tarp. If you find that you'll be on the ground more often, err on that side for pitches that you like. If you got something or made something like KitsapCowboy's KISS Glasgow 2.0 tarp you'd be golden but might give up some super storm protection. See this thread https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...lar-Wide-Asym)

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    My D.I.Y. tarp is 10' square with a lot of tie out around the perimeter. It weighs 17 OZ. and can go from full winter storm to asym by folding the corners inside and connecting them together.

I notice Walmart has a new tarp in a box that's 12'x12' and comes with large poles and all the tie out and stakes. It's less than $40 and the entire box is under 20lbs. Lose the hardware it could be a mighty nice tarp, maybe. Ozark Trail quality keeps getting better.

Hammock
    hummingbird single+
    Tarp
    zpacks 7x9
    Insulation
    HG econ 30º
    Suspension
    out-of-school
    Going with the zpacks 7x9 dyneema tarp.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xnktx View Post
    Going with the zpacks 7x9 dyneema tarp.
    OK, but you're going to find that is a tiny tarp.

However, experiencing it firsthand will provide a valuable and indelible data point going forward.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast