Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Curious if anyone can help.

Curious if anyone can help me out here.

I have been trying to search the site, and while I understand an asymmetrical lay is because the shape of the bugnet/overcover, and that it prevents you from having to push the fabric away with your feet, does it actually provide a flatter lay (in your opinion)? Or, does it make it easier to lay on your side as I have read in some threads? (again in your opinion)

Second, looking at having a side vent on my hammock, now I know condensation is likely going to happen providing I am winter camping, but does adding a foot peek vent help with the ventilation substantially when you have your overcover on?

And finally, does anyone have experience with 1.1 ripstop? Does it wrinkle and stay wrinkled when using it as an overcover after you have it stored for some time?

Thanks all,

Cheers!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    No opinion on sym versus asym - all my hammocks are symmetrical.

I don't think a side vent is going to do anything, nor is a foot peak vent. I find condensation is equal using my bugnet or my overcover. The overcover that comes with my Chameleon has a bug vent opening near the head, but it doesn't vent anything.

As for wrinkling, I can't say I've noticed any wrinkling, and if I did, I can't say I'd care.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Hi FHF,
    If you can see your breath you can't use a top cover. They call them winter top covers they are not for winter hammock hanging unless you want to deal with condensation.
    Don't believe me Shug will tell you the same thing.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    No opinion on sym versus asym - all my hammocks are symmetrical.

I don't think a side vent is going to do anything, nor is a foot peak vent. I find condensation is equal using my bugnet or my overcover. The overcover that comes with my Chameleon has a bug vent opening near the head, but it doesn't vent anything.

I figured the vents wouldn't do much, but figured I would ask as I have no experience with them.

The wrinkles are primarily because I am OCD (not with grammar or things that matter) but with cleanliness, and things going where they should. Idk if the wrinkles would really bother me, as much as I want to know before pulling going with it.
    As for wrinkling, I can't say I've noticed any wrinkling, and if I did, I can't say I'd care.
    Thanks Silvr, I am leaning toward sym, primarily because I am indecisive. haha

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi FHF,
    If you can see your breath you can't use a top cover. They call them winter top covers they are not for winter hammock hanging unless you want to deal with condensation.
    Don't believe me Shug will tell you the same thing.
    Thanks O&B, what do you primarily find yourself using your top cover for? Is it really just a privacy thing? If so, does it hold heat at all when using it during winter or summer for that matter?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post
    while I understand an asymmetrical lay is because the shape of the bugnet/overcover, and that it prevents you from having to push the fabric away with your feet, does it actually provide a flatter lay (in your opinion)? Or, does it make it easier to lay on your side as I have read in some threads? (again in your opinion)
    If the symmetrical bugnet is cut large enough, it will allow you to lay every bit as flat as the asym bugnet and I can't see anyway it would make side lay more difficult. An asym bugnet is just a bugnet trimmed to only allow laying on one diagonal instead of both, it doesn't allow a flatter lay or make it easier to lay on your side, other than the fact that it forces the proper diagonal which is equally achievable but less obvious with a full sym bugnet. When laying in the hammock, I actually prefer the extra bugnet material to be there so I can lay my outside arm away from my body, although a sym bugnet definitely isn't as clean of lines as an asym.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post
    Thanks Silvr, I am leaning toward sym, primarily because I am indecisive. haha

Thanks O&B, what do you primarily find yourself using your top cover for? Is it really just a privacy thing? If so, does it hold heat at all when using it during winter or summer for that matter?

Thanks again!
    First I love top covers. In Colorado we get a lot of wind and the top cover really excels there. I'm retired and when I go hammock camping I sleep in and nothing helps that more than a black top cover to block the morning sun light. I always have to get up to pee, yeah that happens a lot at my age so I always get to catch the sun rise. Then it back to the downie goodness, haha.

In the dead of winter this is how I roll.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    Chill gorilla
    Insulation
    Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've also debated about going with an asym for my next hammock but haven't seen what the major benefits are from it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaas View Post
    I've also debated about going with an asym for my next hammock but haven't seen what the major benefits are from it.
    There are no benefits compared to an symmetrical. You are stuck laying on your back or one side. Yes you can lay on the other side but you will have a wall of fabric in your face. That doesn't bother some. A netless hammock allows you to lay left or right head of foot. Now that is benefits. Plus when you don't have bugs you can leave the net home.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    This for certain. ( insert shameless plug here). I love that my SLD Trail Lair is a symmetric hammock. I tend to thrash about at night. I may sleep head left or right on any given night or hour for that matter so I really like the symmetrical option. And, that’s with the integrated bug net. Certainly other vendors offer similar hammocks but symmetrical is for me based on flexibility alone.

As for condensation agree with what has been posted; if it’s cold enough to see your breath it’s an issue and will be an issue, more or less , depending on the specifics of the weather.

As to wrinkles I don’t worry about them. My one hammock which is thin (1.1??) does tend to wrinkle but when I get in it they are gone. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    There are no benefits compared to an symmetrical. You are stuck laying on your back or one side. Yes you can lay on the other side but you will have a wall of fabric in your face. That doesn't bother some. A netless hammock allows you to lay left or right head of foot. Now that is benefits. Plus when you don't have bugs you can leave the net home.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When I use a hammock with a top cover (Hammeck Envoy-S) I keep it open a bit at the top. If I'm using a sock, I keep it open a bit near the top. But condensation problems are a challenge no matter what - the battle between having enough air flow but not loosing too much heat.

The top cover adds degrees of warmth so you might be able to use your 40 degree or 20 degree bag for a longer season before changing up. Also, if you are using a tarp without doors, it provides protection from wind changes (but you still want to protect under the hammock for that - a UQP, etc.).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast