Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Just can't seem to get the set up right?

Hi everyone,

So my friend and I are just starting to get into the hammock world. We have planned out a couple overnight hikes, but before we try anything we've been practicing our set up and equipment.

I bought a Hennessy Hammock Expedition zip. I bought the Hennessy Hex Symmetric Rainfly. I have an Arrowhead UQ (I'm really impressed by it!). I then have the hammock/fly set up in the snake skins. Now onto my issues.

No matter how many times I try, changing distances between trees, height of the tree straps, how tight I have the ropes, I can't seem to ever to:

1) Get that 30 degree angle.
    2) Get the ridgeline anything but super super tight (just shy of a guitar string I would say).

I am 5'9", 270 pounds. I know....the Expedition is rated for 250 pounds. I was hoping to have lost more weight than I have by now, but I haven't. So I didn't know if maybe that has something to do with my issues. I bought it at REI before I was a member, and don't have the receipt, so I don't think I can return it IF the weight is an issue. Even with the ridge line being very tight, I've always been very comfortable.

Any help is appreciated. I have read until my eyes bleed and just can't seem to get it, and am getting very frustrated.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Link to the Hennessy "How To" page might prove to be useful https://hennessyhammock.com/pages/wh...-before-you-go I tend to follow Tom's instructions for set up except I use Dutchware straps with climbing rated carbines. (I tied a figure 8 into the Hennessy ropes).

So, no I don't get a 30 degree angle most of the time and sometimes my ridgeline is a bit tight but if I sleep good, I am happy.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

So we have tried setting everything up while standing in the woods with our phones reading the websites and forums as we try to adjust. Is the ridge line being tight not an issue? Is it just for comfort levels? I'm afraid that I am overthinking a lot, but at the same time under thinking if that makes sense. I have tried using the figure 8 lashing that HH says to use, and I also have set up the descender rings while trying to master it all to make it easier. My friend has a Warbonnet something and he can get his perfect so quickly that I'm jealous, increasing my frustration ().

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Adjustable Ridgeline?
    I almost never think about the angle.
    i know for me 80" foot end and 68" head end on a 14.75-15' span is perfect for my XLC.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

So the HH does not have an adjustable ridgeline. It is set and I believe it is structural as well.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    So, are you comfortable in that hammock when sleeping?
    If-so then your good to go.

Straps higher up the tree should loosen your ridgeline.
    Don't get too caught up with all the exact angles. I am 6' and hang my straps head high but sometimes higher depending on tree distance.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    So, are you comfortable in that hammock when sleeping?
    If-so then your good to go.

Straps higher up the tree should loosen your ridgeline.
    Don't get too caught up with all the exact angles. I am 6' and hang my straps head high but sometimes higher depending on tree distance.
    Shug
    We have spent a LOT of time watching your videos while playing around with my hammock trying to get it right. Thank you very much for making them all! It really sounds like I'm overthinking a lot of it.

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    If it just doesn’t end up working for you, don’t give up. There are many options, so just sell what doesn’t work on the exchange. I tried several designs before I eventually ended up with one (or two actually) o f Justbills Townsend Luxury Bridge hammocks. He makes them for REAL big boys as well, so you’re weight is nothing. That is just to say there are many options and many helpful folks here to assist. Good luck!
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Papa Smurf—Dream Hammocks has made a very short YouTube video showing how to adjust hammock suspension so that 30 degree angle of hang and hammock ridgeline tautness is in most favorable limits.
    The 30 degree thing is a suggestion and a starting point. As long as you are somewhat close, you are ok, in my opinion.
    But if a hammock suspension is loaded with more weight, and suspension is at a flatter angle——suspension is greatly stressed and might break or worse yet—pull tree onto your head.
    Possibly, there are tables showing the multiplied forces in Derek Hansen’s book The Ultimate Hang.
    If your suspension approaches a horizontal flat line form—danger is increased.
    Sometimes my suspension setups ain’t perfect,
    I’m doing asbestos I can

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast