I just got back from 3 nights in the cheaha wilderness! I did the 17 mile pinhoti /skyway/chinabee loop. - this is my 4 th time, and it’s one of my favorites! High cliffs, grand 20 mile vistas, low valleys, lots of waterfalls and stream crossings- it’s a beautiful trail! (And if u go during the week, there is lots of solitude-I only saw 2 hikers the entire time. Sunday I drove to cheaha after work ,hiked a mile and camped at cheaha falls. ( cold and windy night, but I stayed warm and dry!). Monday I hiked about half way up the skyway trail and camped near the old ccc cabin ruins. Tuesday I completed the skyway trail, and hiked the pinhoti up the infamous stairway to heaven ( a very tough climb!) and camped for the night at the pinhoti/ Odom/ chinabee junction. I got into camp early, so I spent several hours reading and taking a nap- it felt great! After a very relaxing night and a great supper ( homemade dehydrated lasagna, and apple pie for dessert)- I hiked out the next day. I had great weather the whole time, and had lots of extra time to explore, read, rest and just generally enjoy being alone in the woods with no distractions ( it was wonderful!). It was the perfect balance of miles and relaxation time. That loop can be easily done in 2 days- but where is the fun in that! ( I deal with enough deadlines and pressure at work!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk