Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I see small D-rings on my HG quilts and I imagine they would be used with hooks on the hammock. But the hammock itself would have to be designed for it or be retrofitted. That retrofit would be expensive compared to just changing the angle of the main bungee a bit.
    I think (but I could be mistaken) that on certain underquilts that have these little D-rings at the edges, the purpose is to attach shock cord to the D-rings on each side of the hammock, and run the shock cord over the hammock ridgeline. I would think that would be very awkward, though, and especially for an underquilt with primary suspension, secondary suspension, and cinches at the end for draft control / venting... I can't imagine why anybody would want or need extra quilt suspension lines running over the hammock ridgeline.

Regarding attaching those D-rings directly to hooks on the hammock, I wouldn't ever want to do that, personally. Imagine if you accidentally sat in the underquilt instead of the hammock. The inelastic attachment of quilt D-rings to hooks on the hammock wouldn't stretch and it's very likely there would be some sort of failure of the underquilt fabric or stitching. At the very least, those D-rings would probably rip out. Suspending the quilt only by shock cord is a good insurance against that kind of problem.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 04-05-2019 at 15:27.

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    I posted about how they work because I can't see why you would need them on a basic gathered end hammock. That said, they are cheap, light and when I buy a new hammock I will probably order them provided the spacing fits my underquilts. A big part of why I asked the question is that my Clark needs some DIY action to get a quilt to work properly. The hoop support tabs allow the quilt to buckle in the middle and no amount of screwing with it will change that. Its not a problem unless its windy, but in the wind I might as well not have an underquilt. One solution is to leave the hoops off but I actually like them.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    I can't see why you would need them on a basic gathered end hammock.
    They are cheap, light and when I buy a new hammock I will probably order them provided the spacing fits my underquilts.
    Even though they contradict one another, I agree with both these statements.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Even though they contradict one another, I agree with both these statements.
    True, these are contradictory statements but here are a few thoughts. 1) they cost nearly nothing. 2) they weigh nearly nothing 3) I have never needed them on my diy gathered end hammock but my wife is high maintenance - she's the one who gets cold due to the gaps. 4) my udg underquilt is an oddball length -its an 80% underquilt if I remember right (I bought it a long time ago). 5) I'm not the only one who uses the hammock gear - I buy it to satisfy me, my wife and my daughter - depends on who's using it.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    cmc4free, tired to send this to you direct but kept getting blocked because my stored messages was full - even though I kept deleting past sent and received messages. Again, this is a sending problem at my end.

if your hammock is tending to "long" - 11 ft instead of 10 ft - and your UQ is short (not full length) and perhaps heavy-ish (20 or 0 degree rated), the weight of the UQ, in the middle of a long bungee run, can cause it to hang down a little. True enough, if you put a "direction modifier" right at the end of the UQ that pulls straight up, it would most likely get in the way. But if you lifted the bungee up a little about a foot or so from the end of the UQ, it would be out of the way and let add a little more lift.

Here's a product from DutchWare that does the lifting:
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ri...e-quilt-hooks/

There have been other posts that show DIY diverters that aren't so extreme.

At one time, I believe most quilt manufacturers just had the two bungee system - one running the length of the quilt, attaching to the hammock GE and one chinching the end of the UQ snug (but not with an upward pull). HG saw the problem and added the third bungee line. Not only does it stabilize the UQ to its position on the side bungees, but it also adds some lift to the ends of the UQ.

But I have UQ from various manufacturers and HG is the only one of mine that has that three bungee system.

You are right in that a "direction diverter" is one more thing to fiddle with. And as I go out alone and can't see how my setup is fitting while I'm in the hammock, I use an underquilt protector. It keeps the UQ clearner, saves more convection heat loss, and allows the UQ fit to be less critical. It is alway connected to the hammock so there isn't anything extra to fiddle with at setup time.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-06-2019 at 12:32.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    HG
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG/AGGTQ SLDUQ/UQP
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiderwhoopi
    Thanls! Makes sense

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    I posted about how they work because I can't see why you would need them on a basic gathered end hammock. That said, they are cheap, light and when I buy a new hammock I will probably order them provided the spacing fits my underquilts. A big part of why I asked the question is that my Clark needs some DIY action to get a quilt to work properly. The hoop support tabs allow the quilt to buckle in the middle and no amount of screwing with it will change that. Its not a problem unless its windy, but in the wind I might as well not have an underquilt. One solution is to leave the hoops off but I actually like them.
    Well that is your real problem a clark hammock is like no other. It's not a gathered end and its not a bridge it something inbetween and a UQ manufacturers nightmare. Esp if you have the model with the all those storage pockets sewn underneath. If you but a standard gathered end hammock vendor of your choice you will not need any gadgets or bobbles to get your UQ to fit. They just work.
    Best of luck to you.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Well that is your real problem a clark hammock is like no other. It's not a gathered end and its not a bridge it something inbetween and a UQ manufacturers nightmare. Esp if you have the model with the all those storage pockets sewn underneath. If you but a standard gathered end hammock vendor of your choice you will not need any gadgets or bobbles to get your UQ to fit. They just work.
    Best of luck to you.
    Thanks. You are correct. The clark is a nightmare to put a quilt on. There are little tweaks you can use but none of them work well with an 80% or full length quilt. Ifthe quilt fits between the tabs for the hoops it would be no problem.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123