Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    When I use my gathered end hammock I put the quilt material and shock cord in the hook and it works just fine.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Well, I have a clark tx-250. The hoop supports on either end cause the quilt to buckle in the middle. You can't pull the shock cord in any way so that the buckle in the middle doesn't happen. I have no real experience with a regular hammock in cold weather. I have no problem keeping a quilt tight on my DIY gathered end hammock.
    So back to your OP, what kind of new hammock are you shopping for?

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    So back to your OP, what kind of new hammock are you shopping for?
    I've been looking at a dream hammock sparrow or whatever simply light designs sells that may be comparable. I'm not sold on the chameleon. Clips are usually available on custom hammocks. I'm just trying to figure out where the clips should be located.

Also, I like to understand what I'm buying online since I can't examine in person.

Images
    On the Chameleon, the quilt hooks are on the same pieces of ribbon as the outermost tie outs, which places them a little closer to the center of the hammock than some others. With a "full length" underquilt, the hooks line up just barely at the ends of the fabric of the quilt where the shock cord suspension comes out.

On Dream Hammock's Sparrow or the comparable Trail Lair from Simply Light Designs, I believe the quilt hooks are a bit closer to the ends of the hammock.

With a gathered end hammock, you should have a better fit with the underquilt, and shouldn't have the flapping in the breeze that you described with your Clark. The quilt hooks are nice to have (and easier to include and then not always use than they would be to add yourself at a later date), but not everyone finds them necessary. You said you don't have a problem with your UQ on your DIY gathered end hammock, so you could probably skip them without missing them. But they're not super expensive either ($6 from SLD and $10 from DH).
    Last edited by cmc4free; 04-04-2019 at 20:20.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    With or without quilt hooks, you can tighten a suspension with a knot. If you'r butt is getting cold or the UQ is flapping in the wind, you are already loose enough, that hooks won't help much. You can also use a micro biner, to clip the suspension cords together over the hammock ends rather than to the sides or under the hammock body. All this will change the hang of an UQ.
    Signature suspended

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't find quilt hooks to be all that helpful. Half the time I don't even use them.
    I'm with SS. I never use them. If you adjust your UQ suspension properly no gadgets are required.
    There is always a reason why your UQ is not staying in place and you need to find out what that is.

Maybe its the engineer in me but I have never needed more than a single suspension UQ with no gadgets.
    In the picture there is a UQ hook just above the zipper pull but I never use it.

Hammock
    HG
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG/AGGTQ SLDUQ/UQP
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiderwhoopi
    0 this whole thread has me confused and curious. I've got a HG hammock that's got pack hooks. On the other side of the pack hook is a loop of grosgrain. As it stands, I use an S biner that takes the two Loops of shock cord for my underquilt and clips to the whoopie sling at the head of the hammock and then does the same at the bottom. I thought the pack hooks were just guides to keep the elastic shock cord from moving around. Should I just be hooking the shock cord to the pack Hooks and are the pack hooks the same thing as quilt hooks?!!

Hammock
    Dutch Wide , WB Sock, BIASbuginato
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    BeetleB & K straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't find quilt hooks to be all that helpful. Half the time I don't even use them.
    Agreed, bought some clip-ons from Dutch just to experiment. Seems like a neat idea, but yet to see the real need. The hammock opens up wider than the UQ, so did not seem to aid in a better lay, especially on the diagonal. Just my take...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    0 this whole thread has me confused and curious. I've got a HG hammock that's got pack hooks. On the other side of the pack hook is a loop of grosgrain. As it stands, I use an S biner that takes the two Loops of shock cord for my underquilt and clips to the whoopie sling at the head of the hammock and then does the same at the bottom. I thought the pack hooks were just guides to keep the elastic shock cord from moving around. Should I just be hooking the shock cord to the pack Hooks and are the pack hooks the same thing as quilt hooks?!!
    Pack hooks are the same thing as quilt hooks, in this context.
    The pack hooks/quilt hooks are sewn to the hammock body and they simply attach to the quilt's primary shock cord suspension lines after they have exited the fabric channels. As evidenced by the responses in this thread, some people like them a lot, and some don't see the need - either viewpoint is just fine.

I've not seen any HG hammocks in person, but I would guess the loop of grosgrain by the pack hooks you mentioned are intended to be used as points to attach tie outs, which open up the hammock and can help keep bug netting off your face - another feature that some people like while others don't see the need.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 04-05-2019 at 15:09.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    My HG UQ has three parts to the suspension. There's the main bungee that runs in a sleeve the length of the quilt. Then there's a lighter bungee that cinches up the ends of the UQ. My UQ's from other venders also have those two. The third HG bungee runs from just the side of the end of the UQ, as a big loop, back to the other end side. This allows the UQ to slide, on the main bungee, to the location you want on the hammock. The second bungee keeps it snug around the hammock. And the third bungee keeps it anchored at that location and has a bit of an upward pull, keeping the ends up against the hammock.

For my other UQ's that don't have that third suspension, I've seen the suggestion to change the angle of the main bungee (posted in other threads) work pretty well. There are numerous ways to do it but the goal is to lift the main bungee so it doesn't just run from the sleeve directly to the GE. As an extreme, imagine the main bungee coming out of the sleeve, then going straight up to the hammock ridge line, then bend at 90 degrees and connected to the hammock end. If you move the lift device closer to the hammock end, the bungee angle will open wider than that 90 degrees, but will still provide some lift.

Note that this method required a ridge line to provide an connection point between the quilt end and hammock end that allows changing the angle of that main bungee.

I see small D-rings on my HG quilts and I imagine they would be used with hooks on the hammock. But the hammock itself would have to be designed for it or be retrofitted. That retrofit would be expensive compared to just changing the angle of the main bungee a bit.

Over time we have evolution of design, and just like computers that have to maintain some backward compatibility with earlier software (for a while), so I imagine somethings are still part of a hammock design even though that part is no longer in mainstream use. There's a cost to change and sometimes it is cheaper (for a while) to keep something than to retool.

Or ... it could be that my UQ suspension is old design and these hooks (My HG just has small D-rings) are the new thing.

But the two bungees - one through the sleeve and one cinches up the ends - has worked great for me; especially if I raise the angle of the long sleeve bungee a bit after it comes out the sleeve.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast