DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Quilt hooks - how do they work

I've been shopping for a new hammock and notice that quilt hooks are optional on some hammocks. They look like a good idea since they don't cost much and don't add a lot of weight but I can't see how they work. I have a Jarbidge synthetic underquilt and a down underquilt from UDG. The bungees on the side are in fabric sleeves on both of them I think. I dont see how a little hook on the hammock can hang on to that. Can someone please explain it to me?

Images
    You just attach the UQ's primary suspension shock cord to the quilt hooks, which basically "locks" the UQ in place and keeps it from sliding off your shoulder or feet.
    The quilt hooks are usually placed far enough at the ends of the hammock that they'll be past the fabric of the quilt, where the suspension shock cords have already exited the quilt channels.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    These are one of the best upgrades you can add if you are using an under quilt.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    You just attach the UQ's primary suspension shock cord to the quilt hooks, which basically "locks" the UQ in place and keeps it from sliding off your shoulder or feet.
    The quilt hooks are usually placed far enough at the ends of the hammock that they'll be past the fabric of the quilt, where the suspension shock cords have already exited the quilt channels.
    Obvious how they work once the shock cord emerges from the sleeves. However, its the insulating part of the quilt that you want to hold up against the hammock. So I'm still not getting it since its the wind catching my quilt in the middle that causes me problems currently. The ends seem to take care of themselves without hooks.
    Last edited by litetrek; 04-04-2019 at 16:32.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    These are one of the best upgrades you can add if you are using an under quilt.
    Yes it seems like something that's a no brainer but I don't understand how they work since the shock cord is in a sleeve and can't be hooked. The ends usually behave on their own.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Yes it seems like something that's a no brainer but I don't understand how they work since the shock cord is in a sleeve and can't be hooked.
    The sleeved shock cord is not supposed to be hooked. You only hook the four corners (where the shock cord emerges from the sleeve) and this will keep them from slipping off your shoulder or your feet. My XLC does not have them and I have issues with the quilts slipping off (I need to try a wookie..). My Chameleon has them and its night and day difference. The quilt just locks into place. If you have the option to get them...go for it and you will figure it out. Solid option to be sure.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Images
    The point is to slightly skew the UQ near the outside shoulder and the feet. Quilts frequently slip off the shoulder and the feet because most quilts are narrower than the hammock itself. Quilt hooks grab onto the quilt and prevent it from slipping off. Usually you hook in to a point just past the edge of the quilt.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Obvious how they work once the shock cord emerges from the sleeves. However, its the insulating part of the quilt that you want to hold up against the hammock. So I'm still not getting it since its the wind catching my quilt in the middle that causes me problems currently. The ends seem to take care of themselves without hooks.
    If the wind is catching your quilt in the middle, it's likely that you need to tighten your suspension. Like others have said, the quilt hooks just help to keep the quilt from slipping off of your shoulder and/or feet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't find quilt hooks to be all that helpful. Half the time I don't even use them.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    If the wind is catching your quilt in the middle, it's likely that you need to tighten your suspension. Like others have said, the quilt hooks just help to keep the quilt from slipping off of your shoulder and/or feet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Well, I have a clark tx-250. The hoop supports on either end cause the quilt to buckle in the middle. You can't pull the shock cord in any way so that the buckle in the middle doesn't happen. I have no real experience with a regular hammock in cold weather. I have no problem keeping a quilt tight on my DIY gathered end hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast