DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Dream hammock Thunderbird - why discontinued

I want to buy a new hammock and was interested in dream hammock thunderbird. Today I learned that it's been dis continued. Why? Before you suggest I look at the chameleon I already have and I'm not convinced that one is for me.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    At the time, the Thunderbird was their top-of-the-line offering. But when they came out with the Sparrow, that took the top honors. I just don't think there was enough differentiation between the Thunderbird and Sparrow/Dangerbird for it to really have a place in their lineup. They did offer all three at one point, but probably noticed that the majority of their customers were choosing the Sparrow or Dangerbird; so it probably made sense for them to discontinue it.

That said, I recommend reaching out to Randy/Deanna and see if they would be willing to work with you on building exactly what you're looking for. They have always been quite helpful with my requests (as well as others from what I've read).

Just out of curiosity, is there any particular reason why you would want the Thunderbird over the Sparrow?

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    My guess is that the Thunderbird has been replaced as the Sparrow now fills the role of the DH Flagship hammock.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Images
    ^ what they said!

Images
    Quoting cameronjreed 10-28-2015 (with some modification for correctness):

The difference between the Thunderbird and the Sparrow are based on the zipper configuration.

The Thunderbird zippers for the bugnet and overcover are separating zippers with one zipper pull (slide) on each zipper track.
    This means that whether you zip the bugnet or overcover onto the hammock the zippers pulls (slides) will be at the far head/foot end of the hammock (depending on the specified lay of the Thunderbird).

As for the Sparrow...
    It too has separating zippers for the bug net or over cover.
    The difference is that there are two (2) zipper pulls (slides) on each zipper. This allows the zippers to be completely closed without having the zipper pulls all the way at the head or foot end of the hammock.
    With two zipper pulls one can place the zipper pulls in the middle of the zipper where they are easier to reach.
    Also on the Sparrow, there is no specific "lay direction". This means that there is not a designated "head" and "foot" end. Just hop in and find the "sweet spot".

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Also on the Sparrow, there is no specific "lay direction". This means that there is not a designated "head" and "foot" end. Just hop in and find the "sweet spot".
    What DH means by not having a dedicated head/foot end is that you can lay with your head at either end- and have the zipper where it needs to be (since there are zippers on both sides). The Sparrow still does have an asym lay by default, where you have to choose head left or head right. But now there's also a symmetrical option, if you don't want to specify a lay direction.

Edit: I think I just realized that we are saying the same thing...maybe

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    What DH means by not having a dedicated head/foot end is that you can lay with your head at either end- and have the zipper where it needs to be (since there are zippers on both sides). The Sparrow still does have an asym lay by default, where you have to choose head left or head right. But now there's also a symmetrical option, if you don't want to specify a lay direction.
    Thanks, and yeah... after reading that OP's (cameronjreed) write up, I realized he wasn't accurately depicting the situation, so I removed some portions of his comment.

The Sparrow hammock body itself is symmetrical (I believe.. I know the tie-outs are symmetrically placed, too), although if you order 1 peak shelf or 1 storage pocket, those will be placed by default at the "head end." And yeah, since you can have the zippers meet anywhere, there would be nothing to distinguish a head end from foot end (other than the default storage locations, but the storage things are optional anyway).
    The nets and overcovers are either asym direction or can be symmetrical. On an overcover, you can specify different types of venting, which could mean the overcover has a sort of defined head end. But you can attach the overcover to the hammock in either orientation, so that head end of overcover isn't married to "head end" of the hammock body.

I think we're speaking the same language. If nothing else, I'm confident we both understand what we're trying to say!
    Last edited by cmc4free; 04-04-2019 at 16:04.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I would bet they discontinued it to make it a little less overwhelming to newcomers. They have a lot to learn and a little simplification is good idea. The Sparrow is a better choice for most anyway.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HammockGear Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ, ZPacks TQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE/Amsteel
    I think the zipper arrangement on the Sparrow is better, sometimes a hassle getting to my T-bird zippers.

• + New Posts