Sparrow/Darien
    Tarp
    Palace/WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Spider/J-Bend

How useful is the Gear Sling?

I ordered 2 gear slings for the hammocks I have on order mainly because I want to try them out. I like the idea of them but Im curious how useful you guys think they are. I believe I will use mine mostly attached to the ridgeline instead of hanging it on the outside of the hammock. Im thinking itll be a good place to keep my sleep clothes. So, is a gear sling worth having or does it just get in the way? Are there better storage solutions for a ridgeline? Im trying to decide whether I should add one more to my order so I can have one in each of my netted hammocks.
    Note: I have Dyneema Ridgeline Organizers from HammockGear so I have that part covered.

Dream Hammock Order #'s
    Instagram: @tralenoutdoors

I use one hanging above my hammock and under the tarp to put my CPAP machine and battery. These things are too expensive to rest on the ground and potentially get wet. The sling is a bit of netting that is hung on a separate line from the hammock. So far I am happy with the arrangement, although in cold weather the battery discharges more quickly than normal.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I made a gear hammock for my DIY 12 foot hammock because I have a Chameleon with the Sidecar and got used to having a place to put my topquilt and other stuff while I was getting into the hammock. I find it is a very handy place to put a drink, and my down slippers while I'm sleeping. Definitely worth taking. I do mostly camp out of a kayak so weight is less of a concern.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    The gear hammock is a "must have" accessory to any hammock in my book, especially for CPAP machine as stated above.. Dream Hammock's gear sling is an accessory that can be customized with any fabric as well. Very cool indeed.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Love my gear hammock
    And it makes an ok chair too
    KIMG0557.jpeg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Very useful.
    See it in video below at 8:26.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NeighborhoodNinja View Post
    I ordered 2 gear slings for the hammocks I have on order mainly because I want to try them out. I like the idea of them but Im curious how useful you guys think they are. I believe I will use mine mostly attached to the ridgeline instead of hanging it on the outside of the hammock. Im thinking itll be a good place to keep my sleep clothes. So, is a gear sling worth having or does it just get in the way? Are there better storage solutions for a ridgeline? Im trying to decide whether I should add one more to my order so I can have one in each of my netted hammocks.
    Note: I have Dyneema Ridgeline Organizers from HammockGear so I have that part covered.

Dream Hammock Order #'s
    I would opt for the hammock like chair. Then it serves two functions. gear/pack storage and a comfy seat.

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    When using a gathered end hammock - it depends on the time of year. Spring or knowing it's going to rain then invaluable. Otherwise I'm cutting the weight and another thing to set up.

This applies less so for Warbonnet Ridge Runner (saddle bag pockets on the side with room at the head and foot for stuff) and totally unnecessary with the Clark North American which has 6 large pockets built in.

You just never get a straight answer from hammock lovers!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by underserviced View Post
    When using a gathered end hammock - it depends on the time of year. Spring or knowing it's going to rain then invaluable. Otherwise I'm cutting the weight and another thing to set up.

This applies less so for Warbonnet Ridge Runner (saddle bag pockets on the side with room at the head and foot for stuff) and totally unnecessary with the Clark North American which has 6 large pockets built in.

You just never get a straight answer from hammock lovers!
    It is not that you can't get a straight answer its so many folks look at hammocks with their blinders on only thinking about how they use hammocks.

if you are ULW backpacker none of these accessories are worth their weigh and pack space they take up.
    But if you kayak, bike, pulk, car camp weight and volume mean a lot less and comfort is more important that total pack weight.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am pretty sure the OP is asking about the Dream Hammock Gear Sling as this is Dream Hammock section.
    Not a Gear Hammock.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast