WA > High Divide Loop

I know there is a general Hammock question already in the forum about this, but I have a bit more specific question.

I am trying to keep my packing to a minimum as I have to travel to a convention after this excursion without going back home.

I am hiking the high divide loop over 4 nights. I have permits for Heart Lake, Hoh Lake, Lunch Lake, and Deer Lake, in that order. Are those campsites hangable? My dates are July 22-25th, I am a bit hesitant because of the rain possibilities. Not bringing a tent and just using a hammock would be ideal, but maybe I am being to optimistic.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    If you can't dredge up any beta here you might try the Park Service. Or zoom in with Google or Google Earth to the AOIs. I'm not from the area but I use to pick up my kids for the summer out there and bring them home to MT. I would camp out and check out some of the areas out there during my forays. I would think that you should be prepared with LONG suspension straps for around the BIG trees and probably a good distance between the trees too. Benson Burner might be someone to contact since he roams about that area, i.e. the NW. Just my .02, and not worth a whole lot.

Images
    The issue here is that the park now has designated campsites in the High Divide area which you must reserve way ahead. I don't know how flexible the backcountry ranger will be if you need to move a bit out of your site to find trees that are suitable. If you can be ready to go to ground if needed (carry a big enough tarp and ground sheet and be aware it may be very buggy) you could get by using a hammock at least part of the time. I can't speak for Hoh Lake but the other places all have trees in the vicinity. I haven't been up there since I started hammocking- I used to love camping on top of Bogachiel Peak but it is no longer allowed. It is well worth jumping through all those hoops to go to High Divide- gorgeous place.

• + New Posts