Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I spray everything. Never had a problem. Then again, I've never sprayed on a windy day. I use a standard garden sprayer.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I hang the hammock, bugnet, my clothing and spray. Made a simple frame of PVC piping for that purpose AND for stuffing down into the chambers from the open end of the quilt hanging vertically.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    MBJMBA w DoorKit
    Insulation
    CC DD
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Put a ridgeline in the garage and hang everything up for a spray.

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    I think it depends on what kind of hammock you have and the intended use and the area where you're going. I've come up with a permethrin application method that works for what I do.

All my hammocks have integrated bugnets, and in my neck of the woods there can be mosquitoes sometimes, but we also have other kinds of flying insects. For example, there is a katydid (a cricket relative) in our jungles that loves the taste of the mesh. So in the past I've found large holes in the bugnet made by these creatures. However, so far I have effectively eliminated that problem with permethrin (so far��). I have to treat a lot of hammocks at a time, so soaking the hammocks is not only time consuming, but also uses up a lot of permethrin. I also have to wash the hammocks regularly, and with that goes all the permethrin that was applied to the bugnet. So, for me spraying the hammock is quicker, and more efficient than soaking, since it has to be done before every trip anyway.

Hanging the hammock and spraying it from the sides is an Ok, but as others have mentioned, any slight breeze can blow away the permethrin. So a small amount of mist will stay on the fabric, and the rest will just dissipate in the wind. I have had better results spraying the hammock on the ground (on top of a ground sheet of course). First I flip the hammock inside out so that the outer side of the hammock is now under the bugnet. Then I spray the permethrin directly on the bugnet. That way all the liquid that passes through or drips from the mesh ends up on the outer side of the hammock, and doesn't get wasted.

Because I have to treat several hammocks at a time, I wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt. I also wear long gardening gloves and a mask. After spraying the hammock on the ground, I carefully hang it from its suspension so that it air-dries more evenly. The drying takes a minimum of 2 hours. And as others have mentioned, it's very important to make sure there are not cats around when you're doing this. After the hammock is dry, it is safe to handle and for cats to be around.

Hope this helps,
    R
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I use a one gallon garden sprayer.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    If one were to choose the soaking method, unless one was REALLY analytic/good/lucky with the dilution, there would be leftover permethrin. Maybe a lot of one was no so analytic/good/lucky.

Is there a "shelf life" for permethrin...assuming of course it would be sealed in an air-tight container out of sunlight? [Obviously wise to mix up a smaller batch and just make more if you run out before the soaking is done.]

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    I use a garden sprayer, and have done both (hang hammock and spray on a non-windy day, and lay on top of a ground sheet and spray the hammock when I do my other clothing and gear).

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by jedavisii View Post
    If one were to choose the soaking method, unless one was REALLY analytic/good/lucky with the dilution, there would be leftover permethrin. Maybe a lot of one was no so analytic/good/lucky.

Is there a "shelf life" for permethrin...assuming of course it would be sealed in an air-tight container out of sunlight? [Obviously wise to mix up a smaller batch and just make more if you run out before the soaking is done.]
    But would that be any different than filling a spray bottle? It's still a guess. I usually soak some items, and then pour the leftover into a spray bottle and spray some items.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
    But would that be any different than filling a spray bottle? It's still a guess. I usually soak some items, and then pour the leftover into a spray bottle and spray some items.
    This is exactly what I do

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jedavisii View Post
    Nope. I'd keep it in a sealed container to prevent evaporation but it should remain good. I don't believe it breaks down in sunlight. The only reason you need to reapply it is because rubbing will cause it to wear off the material.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast