Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Sounds like I might need to put in an order of Hex before too long.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBXLC
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY Costco/Synth
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    I can attest to the hexon 1.6. I recently built a bridge based on Ariel dimensions using a double layer with 1.6 and 1.0 hexon. I weigh about 215 and there’s plenty of support. Here’s a link to the build thread.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...light=recessed

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    I made the Ariel from the 1.7HyperD XL fabric and it is perfect. I also have the Warbonnet RR which is listed a 40 Denier 1.6OSY. They are fairly close in stretch but I do prefer the feel of the HyperD. Both are single layer. I also prefer the comfort of the recessed bars. The Arie is deep enough that I do not notice the bar on the head end. Not afraid of hitting my head in the middle of the night.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

I also built an Ariel. I used a double layer of RSBTR 1.7 MTN hybrid. Weight was not an issue, but I wanted sturdy longevity. I also did not really want to do a number of 'prototypes' - just looking for a better night's sleep. I considered the Big/Hiking Dad for simplicity and also the People's Bridge by WV for customization. In the end, the Ariel had the best overall recommendations, although a more difficult build. I was in a Ridge Runner full-time, but for the last 5 months I have been in the Ariel. I much prefer it for the flatter lay, better side sleep, and in particularly, the flatter area at my head and neck. I also prefer the recessed bar design. The bar does not get in my way much at all, and the greatly reduced overall span is a big plus. Just Bill gave me great advice to splice four suspension lines instead of just two. Put them under load first, and then lay them side-by-side to get a matching pair. Good luck!

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Topplestack View Post
    Sounds like I might need to put in an order of Hex before too long.
    I have had good luck with simple old Ripstop 1.9 ounce. I know, it's not fancy or one of the new cool fabrics but it works great and would be my recommendation until you have your pattern squared away...the costs will add up quickly if you experiment much--and if you are anything like me, you'll experiment, take that with what Bill said, if you make one, and it's not right, you toss it and start over, so using expensive fabric during the figuring it out stage...expensive. I also use a smaller second layer to hold a sleeping pad or some other sort of insulation--a quilt is great but expensive, having that light second layer leave opportunity for cheap but effective under insulation--I used simple Ripstop 1.1...sometimes I don't worry about the couple ounces of weight gain and just used 1.9 for both layers. There isn't as much material in a bridge as there is in a gathered-end so I don't worry about that extra ounce too much. Also, do not go too light on your top layer...I tried that, just for an experiment...the stresses and strains on a bridges are MUCH higher and more concentrated...until you are in laying mode...my thoughts for today.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by heyduff View Post
    I have had good luck with simple old Ripstop 1.9 ounce... ...the costs will add up quickly if you experiment much
    I have a bunch of 1.9oz, but I like to save it for scout projects. That's also why the hyperD I still have some of it left from previous projects. I also have a bunch of old 1.1oz that I'll probably start with.

I'm interested in trying the 1.2oz MTN hybrid, but I'm not ready to purchase any new fabrics until I have tried a few things with what I already have on hand. I do need to pick of a spool of amsteel anyway, so an Ariel makes sense. Looks like the hardest part to it is splicing and making sure the splices are in the right places, that's easy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post
    I made the Ariel from the 1.7HyperD XL fabric and it is perfect. I also have the Warbonnet RR which is listed a 40 Denier 1.6OSY. They are fairly close in stretch but I do prefer the feel of the HyperD. Both are single layer. I also prefer the comfort of the recessed bars. The Arie is deep enough that I do not notice the bar on the head end. Not afraid of hitting my head in the middle of the night.
    I wish I could have gotten over and seen some of your gear while I was still living in Lehi. I still come down every so often to see family and pass through for work a couple times a year.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    I much prefer it for the flatter lay, better side sleep, and in particularly, the flatter area at my head and neck. I also prefer the recessed bar design. The bar does not get in my way much at all, and the greatly reduced overall span is a big plus. Just Bill gave me great advice to splice four suspension lines instead of just two. Put them under load first, and then lay them side-by-side to get a matching pair. Good luck!
    Reduced span for under a tarp is a good point. I've also been taking more to side sleeping over the past few years, so that's what's been leading me to look into a bridge in the first place.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I am just finishing a new bridge I have been working on, I bought a bunch of 1.9, simply because it is more economical if you are doing some prototypes. On the current version, I moved to a double layer with 1.1/1.9, just for the hand feel and to make it bug bite proof for infield testing.

If you haven't done a bridge before, following a standard design is good, but you will likely start thinking about changes you could make ...soon after finishing. So maybe plan the first one as your learning piece, try out the basic platform (before the bells and whistles), if you like it, go ahead and add the zippers/bags/netting whatever you plan, if not, you can either modify what you have or call it a prototype and move on.

Brian

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Topplestack View Post
    I have a bunch of 1.9oz, but I like to save it for scout projects. That's also why the hyperD I still have some of it left from previous projects. I also have a bunch of old 1.1oz that I'll probably start with.

I'm interested in trying the 1.2oz MTN hybrid, but I'm not ready to purchase any new fabrics until I have tried a few things with what I already have on hand. I do need to pick of a spool of amsteel anyway, so an Ariel makes sense. Looks like the hardest part to it is splicing and making sure the splices are in the right places, that's easy enough.

I wish I could have gotten over and seen some of your gear while I was still living in Lehi. I still come down every so often to see family and pass through for work a couple times a year.
    The splicing is the probably the hardest and it was not that hard. I was worried with all the talk of getting different lengths when splicing but it is not that hard if you just measure and mark lengths at the same time. Even a couple strands off I don't think you would have a problem. I did not stitch my suspension in place to the fabric body so it can float a little. Never had any problems but I only get in with the bars in place and they lock in the body as the amsteel pokes through the spaces sewn in the body.

I did notice you had moved or at least changed your location to Idaho. Your always welcome back.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post
    I did notice you had moved or at least changed your location to Idaho. Your always welcome back.
    Yeah, I work remote now and my wife has trouble with the heat. We moved later part of last year. I just don't get on here much anymore. Too much to do. I do have a sister in Lehi working on a house in Cedar Fort and a lot of friends and family still in the area.

I figured the splicing would be the hard part. I watch the video a couple times over last night and realized I've done way more complicated splicing. Still it sounds intimidating when you first hear it.

I do need to order some amsteel. I don't have enough on hand at the moment. In the meantime, I might just have fun with some canvas and 1in climbing webbing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast