Amok Draumr XL Zipper

I used my new Draumr XL, pad and tarp for the first time this weekend and was just curious if my zipper is the same as everyone else's.

My zipper (single zipper) starts a couple inchs on the head end of the ridgeline, zips around and stops back where it starts, just over the ridgeline towards the head end. For a hammock system that's pretty well designed this seems pretty odd to me, again Ive only used the hammock once but closing the zipper the last 4 inches or so I'm forced to pass it over a taught ridgeline and the zipper pull itself gets caught, the tiny knot on the corded pull gets caught its actually really frustrating when if the zipper simply started and stopped a couple inches from the ridgeline but on the foot end its seems like it would basically solve the problem completely... only needing the pass over the ridgeline when deploying the net and not every single time I get in and out of the hammock.

So basically are all the XL's like this or was mine just sewn wrong.

Hammock
    Amok dramur xl
    Tarp
    Wb superfly
    Insulation
    Fjol xl pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Nope. Mine is that way also.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mine too. I think it is because of the re-movable bugnet design.
    I find it a bit clumsy to unzip with a tight ridgeline too.
    Prefer the zip design on the prototype personally though I will give myself time to try to like the newer design.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    In order to go completely around the hammock and have the ridgeline inside the bugnet (unlike previous Draumr models, I believe), the zipper has to cross the ridgeline twice. I'm not sure how you could design around that. It means you can't just zip or unzip the whole thing in one completely fluid motion, but I didn't find the ridgeline / zipper to be much of an issue. As a complete newb to the Amok design, the only difficulty I had with the zipper was reaching all the way down to the footbox without tipping the balance too far forward and "grounding" my feet. But since the exterior of the footbox is a very durable fabric, I don't forsee grounding it to be much of an issue either.

Personally, I'd rather have the ridgeline inside the net, like it is on the XL, as opposed to having a more fluid zipper experience. My $.02

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post

Personally, I'd rather have the ridgeline inside the net, like it is on the XL, as opposed to having a more fluid zipper experience. My $.02
    with a grain of salt, as I've not had a chance at the new draumr, the old bug net was great, and when you wake up suddenly at 3 am with a need to pee, getting the bugnet out of the way quickly is awesome

I also think bugnet over the ridgeline is probably a good idea, but I'd really like to try it

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    with a grain of salt, as I've not had a chance at the new draumr, the old bug net was great, and when you wake up suddenly at 3 am with a need to pee, getting the bugnet out of the way quickly is awesome

I also think bugnet over the ridgeline is probably a good idea, but I'd really like to try it
    I hear ya. I also think that more than probably any other hammock, executing a "clean pee" into a bottle while still inside the Draumr XL, would be a reasonably easy task. Not that I plan on trying anytime soon...

Images
    Thinking about it more I suppose they could have constructed the zipper similarly, but placed the start/end point somewhere closer to the footbox. Still wouldn't be able to do a complete zip/unzip without crossing the ridgeline twice, but could probably unzip it enough to get yourself out of the hammock and then back in without crossing the ridgeline.

By putting the start/end where they did, it allows the bugnet to be stowed in its pocket while still slightly attached to the start point, so that it never needs to be completely unzipped and removed. Maybe they could have accomplished the same but with the start point on the opposite/foot side of the ridgeline rather than where it is, on the head side of the ridgeline.

I see now this is exactly what the OP was suggesting. Once again I'm a few minutes late to the party.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 04-02-2019 at 16:18.

• + New Posts