Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Good spots in the Manistee National Forest?

Looking for some good spots for a small group hang in the Manistee National Forest. Prefer dispersed camping near water with a short hike in (I tend to only have a couple of days). Looking for something in the southern portion but anywhere nice would be good to know about.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    The obvious one is the “loop”...Manistee River Trail / North Country Trail, between Red Bridge and I think Hodenpyle Dam. Awesome loop, about 22 miles. They have dedicated campsites, but also dispersed camping. Watch out for widomakers...

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    Water access is quite good on the MRT side, but if you are starting at Red Bridge on the NCT side, I believe you have to go about 8 miles before you get to a creek for a good water source. Love this loop!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    That's a good one. Unfortunately there are a few roads going right into the thing for easy access, so it became party city. A couple years ago I set up and had a superhighway of people walking 5' away from me to go fishing. In the future I'll need to trade the views for some privacy.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    I was there in 2017 over a weekend, and there were quite a few hikers. Most of the scenic campsites were taken, but I have never used a campsite anyway. A short trip off trail has always given me plenty of privacy. During the week would probably be a much better bet!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 Ton View Post
    I was there in 2017 over a weekend, and there were quite a few hikers. Most of the scenic campsites were taken, but I have never used a campsite anyway. A short trip off trail has always given me plenty of privacy. During the week would probably be a much better bet!
    Yeah I never stayed in a camp. But everywhere else off the beaten path was, well, beaten as well. People know where the good stuff is now that it's more and more popular. Next time I go I'll trade a prime spot for something a little less scenic and more private.

Plenty on the mrt side of the loop that are non designated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I agree with the previous posts... it is an amazing loop hike but is becoming very popular. Water is virtually nonexistent on the NCT side until you reach Eddington Creek almost 8 miles in and that makes for a long, hot hike in the warmer and summer months. Lots of scenic camp sites on the MRT side, but always seem filled in the busy months. I also encountered a party group when my son and I were there several years ago. We were going to camp not far from the suspension bridge at the north end but when we stopped to admire the view and filter water we encountered 3 drunk yahoos standing in the river, fishing, yelling, dropping constant f-bombs and being unruly. We walked south a bit on the MRT side but could still hear them so we pushed on another mile or so and made camp in a somewhat "unsanctioned location". There is a nice hanging location just after crossing the Eddington Creek bridge... you will see a bowl-shaped sandy area on the right side of the trail near the power lines. Climb the small hill and head to your right and you will have the point to yourself with a couple good trees to hang from. My buddy and I found that place a few years ago when we did the loop. You can actually see the water source and hang location beginning at 10:30 into the video I made of our hike.

https://youtu.be/N-Y6BAdqYpc

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sparky32; 04-07-2019 at 11:35.
    YouTube Channel
    Great Lakes Backpacker
    https://www.youtube.com/GreatLakesBackpacker534

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ / AHO UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'd avoid the MRT loop this year, it's going to be severely impacted due to the Coates Rd bridge closure last year and the traffic that will be on it this year.

Hammock
    DIY 12' MTN 1.3 netless
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Anywhere along the NCT is great. Disbursed camping is allowed as long as you're 1 mile from any permanent campground and 200' from water.

I've done several time starting from Nichols Lake and hiking north, stopping whenever it starts to get dark. Water is available in quite a few spots.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Inventor of Turtle Ties
    Founder of Fugal Innovations, LLC
    fugal-innovations.com

• + New Posts