Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost to go UL

It’s not just saved weight for me. It’s also about volume being saved.

I cut my cookset weight significantly but my greatest saving was in volume (as well as adding in two extra possible fuels).

I went from an excellent Trangia stove and a non-Trangia pot and DIY windscreen to a TriTI Caldera Cone that adds solid fuel and most especially wood-burning to a much more compact and lighter cookset. The cost was considerable, especially when figuring in the exchange into Canadian funds. I’m very satisfied.

Fortunately my Budget Chief has also been supportive …

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    At present I use two packs.. A ZPacks Arc Blast and ZPacks Nero, and with my current load out have never filled either pack to capacity or to the point where volume has been an issue. On one weekend I filled my a Zimmerbuilt ZB-2 to capacity, but I was carrying gear for another hiker. Frankly, I am kind of baffled by the idea of packing UL and running out of room in a 55L pack, even with 4-5 days of food and winter quiltsets.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    At present I use two packs.. A ZPacks Arc Blast and ZPacks Nero, and with my current load out have never filled either pack to capacity or to the point where volume has been an issue. On one weekend I filled my a Zimmerbuilt ZB-2 to capacity, but I was carrying gear for another hiker. Frankly, I am kind of baffled by the idea of packing UL and running out of room in a 55L pack, even with 4-5 days of food and winter quiltsets.
    I think the theory is to get the pack size down to the point that you can take a smaller, and therefore lighter, pack.

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Pack volume question here. An Ohm 2.0 has a volume of 63 L, yet the main compartment is only 47 L. When the time comes to replace the Ohm, is a 55 L pack comparable?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    I think the theory is to get the pack size down to the point that you can take a smaller, and therefore lighter, pack.
    That's how I ended up with the two packs I have. Also by resisting the temptation to fill it just because I can. In three season, food and water are the determining factor for choosing one over the other. The rest of my kit doesn't change much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Pack volume question here. An Ohm 2.0 has a volume of 63 L, yet the main compartment is only 47 L. When the time comes to replace the Ohm, is a 55 L pack comparable?
    Not sure whether it would be right to say a 63L and a 55L are comparable.. By letter of the law there is an 8L difference, right?

You know how huge those Ohm side pockets are.. !! The Arc Blast side pack pockets are much smaller than the Ohms. That was the biggest change for me. And the front pocket on the Arc Blast doesn't stretch as much as the Ohm. I prefer the Arc mesh more.

The main compartment on the Arc Blast is 42L out of a total of 55L. Are the main compartment comparable? I'd say yes, that's more appropriate to compare. I don't have exact measurements but I think the Ohm was deeper with other dimensions being very similar. I recall having to reach all the way down into the deep tube that was the Ohm. I never filled my Ohm. My kit has gotten leaner but I still don't fill the the Arc Blast.. not even close.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Arc Haul is nominally 62L (49L main body, 2.5L each side pocket, 8L center pocket), so if you're going to actually need the space that's they way to go if you're considering a Zpacks product. Nice to have when stuffing a couple of 0deg quilts into the bottom, or for big food carries, etc. When this volume isn't needed, the side compression cords really are nifty for taking up the slack. But the main reason I first got the Haul was for winter use in the Catskills where the nylon gridstop material stands up much better to abrasion (crawling thru spruce blowdowns, minor rock/ice scrapes) than the poly-coated DCF.

However, for warm summer trips of 2-3 nights I can easily get by with half this volume so it's overkill. For that I have an older custom Zero that is nearly identical to the current Nero.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's how I ended up with the two packs I have. Also by resisting the temptation to fill it just because I can. In three season, food and water are the determining factor for choosing one over the other. The rest of my kit doesn't change much.

Not sure whether it would be right to say a 63L and a 55L are comparable.. By letter of the law there is an 8L difference, right?

You know how huge those Ohm side pockets are.. !! The Arc Blast side pack pockets are much smaller than the Ohms. That was the biggest change for me. And the front pocket on the Arc Blast doesn't stretch as much as the Ohm. I prefer the Arc mesh more.

The main compartment on the Arc Blast is 42L out of a total of 55L. Are the main compartment comparable? I'd say yes, that's more appropriate to compare. I don't have exact measurements but I think the Ohm was deeper with other dimensions being very similar. I recall having to reach all the way down into the deep tube that was the Ohm. I never filled my Ohm. My kit has gotten leaner but I still don't fill the the Arc Blast.. not even close.
    If I'm doing a two day trip then OHM has extra room....depending on season.
    A 5 or 6 day the OHM may start to max out but that is mainly all food.
    It is my most comfortable pack to tote of all my packs.
    And I do love those roomy side pockets.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Progress...

No doubt getting the weight down does allow you the room to add stuff back in.

Cold weather.. I did a two day mid-winter trip with overnight lows in the mid teens. Total Pack Weight (TPW) was 17lbs. Carried a lot of food I didn't eat, which I have done often. So often that backpacking buddies have christened me with my trail name... Extra. Wished I had brought a camp chair.. so add a pound.
    Noticed your kit uses Nylofume as a pack liner. It looks like a great idea. Decided to ditch the generic trash compactor bag to save 1.3 ounces. Appreciate all the pack list postings. Has helped me save an ounce here and there; they all add up.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    The biggest thing that I have realized in getting my base weight to below 10 pounds is that it is a lot cheaper to loose 10 pounds off of my belly than my pack.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    The biggest thing that I have realized in getting my base weight to below 10 pounds is that it is a lot cheaper to loose 10 pounds off of my belly than my pack.
    I ran into a group of girls backpacking this weekend. One was working on adding pounds...5 months pregnant. Hardcore!

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast