Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

HYOH Podcast - Episode 43 (UGQ Outdoor)

In this episode, Mark and Jonathan interview Paul and Missy McWalters from UGQ Outdoor. We start by chatting with Paul and Missy about how they started their family business in Paul’s underground apartment, and then chat about the challenges of working in a family business. We get into a chat about materials and testing, and then have a great discussion about what’s on everyone’s bucket list.

After that, Jonathan and Mark chat about their footwear on the trail, and Gresh and Spiguyver finish up with a great Hanging Out segment about hammocks for the big and tall among us.

Show Notes:

As promised, here’s a link to the webcam looking into the UGQ Outdoor production space: https://ugqoutdoor.com/ugq-tv/

As always, we always invite your comments and suggestions on our Facebook page – like us there at https://www.facebook.com/hyohpodcast and join the conversation – we love the questions we have been getting for Mark and Gresh. You can listen to or subscribe to the podcast from a link on our home page online at https://www.hyohpodcast.com or give us a review on our page in iTunes. If you’d like to buy Mark and Jonathan a cup of coffee, go to https://www.hyohpodcast.com/donate to make a one-time donation, or you can donate monthly to our Patreon Campaign at https://www.patreon.com/hyohpodcast. As always, thanks so much for hanging around!

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Looking forward to listening to it tonight.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I always thought an entire episode dedicated to the Big and Tall hanger would be a great idea as a "round table" format episode.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Gresh/Spiguyver-

Tuned in to hear from Paul and Missy and was honored to hear my name during your segment!

Town's End Outdoors is the name of my company and I do still produce bridge hammocks for sale.
    I do this part time, have a full time day job and two young kids so I lay pretty low as a result. Nothing worse in my opinion than folks drumming up sales when they can't fill orders.
    Word of mouth is spreading slowly and I get a handful of hammocks out every month.

I produce several different bridges- https://thisgearsforyou.com/bridge-lineup/

To answer the bridge question:
    JacksRBetter and Warbonnet remain the largest and most well known bridge options. The Chrysalis (Canadian) comes and goes and I'm not too familiar with it personally to be blunt.

Generally speaking- most big guys will not find those options applicable but I do encourage people 'on the line' to try them first as they are more affordable and easier to obtain.
    While there are outliers who push things a bit... neither of those bridges are available above a 250lb weight limit. More importantly however tends to be the size issue itself in terms of shoulder squeeze or height for larger folks.

While there are one or two folks who have DIY'd something... to the best of my knowledge I am the only vendor who produces a bridge hammock rated beyond 250lbs.

My 'Luxury Bridge' is rated up to 250 pounds and would be more appropriate to someone who may be taller/broad shouldered or simply as the name implies... looking for luxury.

The 'Big Guy Bridge' is rated at 350+. I base that number on comfort as around that weight you may find you are simply physically too big for the bridge. There are a few customers near 400lbs who side sleep and enjoy the bridge but in my experience around 350 is when a back sleeper might find the bridge too small.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Hanger-Preview
    I don't think anything serious will happen with this for the general public this year, but to address those folks around 350 who simply needed more... I am working on a solution.
    While the Big Guy has really helped a lot of folks... it always bugged me I couldn't find a solution for Tim and a couple folks like him.

Overall-
    My bridges are expensive premium products. I strongly encourage people to try other options first. If a gathered end does the job for you... awesome!
    If you're car camping or base camping... at some point lets be honest... you could buy an Aero bed or premium mattress for well under the cost of one of my bridges and may find it works just fine for you. I do enjoy hammocks, but I am also a pretty blunt and practical minded person. If you simply want to hang to hang- It's a free country and I'll be happy to take your money. But if money is a concern and you don't need to worry about weight... there are options for larger folks. It's true I have several home hangers using these for chronic pain reasons... and helping folks with that has been an unexpected bonus that really does make the hard work worth it.

My goal is to produce backpacking gear; even if that simply means you have a walk in site, hunting camp, or casual trip. So part of the cost is that I am using materials and techniques with that goal in mind. If someone wanted to get some fence posts and heavy canvas it wouldn't be that hard to build a 400lb rated bridge for you to stick in your backyard for a few hundred bucks. It's building them in a manner that keeps them packable and reasonably light that is the true challenge.

I try to help folks get out in the woods and don't care who's gear you use to do it.
    I build the lightest bridges in the world for some pretty specialty stuff. It turns out those tricks are pretty useful for building a larger bedspace and higher weight capacity too.
    I stay quiet because I can't really handle much volume nor do I believe that what I offer is for everyone out there. At the end of the day it's just gear.
    But if you've tried everything else and you're staying home because you can't sleep in the woods... then reach out because that's who I build these for.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice to hear this.
    I've never tried any UGQ gear but always hear real good stuff.
    Gotta say I'm with Missy....use that turn signal!!
    They should put foot turn signals in cars or maybe a phone app.
    If you signal I'll always let you in.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts