I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As it goes...only you will know what brings you comfort.
    That Hummingbird is a very short and narrow hammock. Thus the ultralight weight. The Single+ seems a better choice.
    You could save sewing the piece under the hammock and just put the pad in the hammock.
    If you go with that hammock your tarp should cover you as the Single Hummingbird seems to be only 8' 8" long.
    With the Single+ I think you will be OK with coverage but not much room to spare on the ends depending on how you hang the hammock.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Using the tarp as a diamond rather than a square would result in a ridgeline that would be more than adequate. It may, in fact be too long!. Consider perhaps a "partial diagonal with the tarp ridge in from the corners as much as is needed, resulting in short "doors" over your head and feet.
    Tom, your idea is great advice to meet criteria.
    This is why I love Hammock Forums, always someone with great ideas and ability to think on the fly

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    As it goes...only you will know what brings you comfort.
    That Hummingbird is a very short and narrow hammock. Thus the ultralight weight. The Single+ seems a better choice.
    You could save sewing the piece under the hammock and just put the pad in the hammock.
    If you go with that hammock your tarp should cover you as the Single Hummingbird seems to be only 8' 8" long.
    With the Single+ I think you will be OK with coverage but not much room to spare on the ends depending on how you hang the hammock.
    Shug
    That was a helpful answer, thanks. Seems like you actually read my OP
    My current thinking would be to not sew on the pad compartment and go with the Single+.
    How come you say that it is only "OK"? I saw you saying here that you use a 11ft hammock with a 11ft tarp: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1817623 My tarp would be longer than my hammock so it should give more weather protection than if tarp and hammock have the same size.

The tarp size recommendations I could find are these:
    1) Acc to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj2qqyaERl0 tarp should be same size as hammock or 1 foot longer -> My tarp is 2/3 of a foot longer than my hammock which seems to be within the range he recommends.
    2) Acc. to http://theultimatehang.com/2012/09/2...for-a-hammock/ the tarp should be 6-12 inch longer on each side than the hammock when I lay in it. I calculated that the 116 inch long Single+ hammock is 100 inch long when I lay in it (using http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/) -> Taking the generous end of the recommendation, i.e. 12 inch on each side: 100+2*12=124 inch which is the exact length of my tarp.
    3) https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1817620 makes the exact same recommendation as (2).
    According to most of those recommendations I am on the generous side of weather protection.

OR might it be the case that the tarp/hammock length ratio should be higher for a shorter hammock and tarp? I can't imagine that, but it would explain some of your comments.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guenni View Post
    That was a helpful answer, thanks. Seems like you actually read my OP
    My current thinking would be to not sew on the pad compartment and go with the Single+.
    How come you say that it is only "OK"? I saw you saying here that you use a 11ft hammock with a 11ft tarp: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1817623 My tarp would be longer than my hammock so it should give more weather protection than if tarp and hammock have the same size.

The tarp size recommendations I could find are these:
    1) Acc to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj2qqyaERl0 tarp should be same size as hammock or 1 foot longer -> My tarp is 2/3 of a foot longer than my hammock which seems to be within the range he recommends.
    2) Acc. to http://theultimatehang.com/2012/09/2...for-a-hammock/ the tarp should be 6-12 inch longer on each side than the hammock when I lay in it. I calculated that the 116 inch long Single+ hammock is 100 inch long when I lay in it (using http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/) -> Taking the generous end of the recommendation, i.e. 12 inch on each side: 100+2*12=124 inch which is the exact length of my tarp.
    3) https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1817620 makes the exact same recommendation as (2).
    According to most of those recommendations I am on the generous side of weather protection.

OR might it be the case that the tarp/hammock length ratio should be higher for a shorter hammock and tarp? I can't imagine that, but it would explain some of your comments.
    OK meant you more than likely be good to go......but I am not familiar with your tarp so I'm being hopefully conservative.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Aside from the technical aspects, since you're going on 'a really long trip' I would recommend doing some short 1- to 3-night trips with some periods of less-than-ideal weather to expose any potential shortcomings. Things happen in the real world that all our planning cannot anticipate.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Aside from the technical aspects, since you're going on 'a really long trip' I would recommend doing some short 1- to 3-night trips with some periods of less-than-ideal weather to expose any potential shortcomings. Things happen in the real world that all our planning cannot anticipate.
    That is the plan

Thanks everyone! This discussion helped me get a better idea of what works and what doesn't

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, UQP
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by guenni View Post
    How come you say that it is only "OK"? I saw you saying here that you use a 11ft hammock with a 11ft tarp.
    guenni....remember, and 11ft hammock is only 11 ft when stretched out flat; not when in a hang...you will lose some length once it is hung.
    "Always pass on what you have learned" - Yoda

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    The tarp is rectangular? With middle tie outs? You may be able to rig it like this picture to get additional windblown coverage, which is all you're talking about when you have lengthwise coverage...

11-10-ridgeline.jpg

That would take it from "OK" to "very good". Granted, it encloses your space which is something I didn't like with a tent (besides hard ground), but would work in the rare instance that you actually need that coverage. If you're in the forest, and not on a windy ridge or open view or beside a lake, then you're not likely to get a lot of windblown rain.

Regarding the hammock, a lot of us have a particular disdain for those who sell their hammocks under the guise of ultralight when all they've done is just use less material, and then charge you more for that "engineering". Besides the length, which is on par with other short hammocks that have been used without that much issue, its really narrow. I used a 48" wide (10' long) hammock for a while and I couldn't keep my TQ inside. I don't think there's any question that the Single+ is a much better option. You might try SimplyLightDesigns.com where you could get something more custom that has more relaxed dimensions but still fits well under that tarp. Jared, the owner, is great about discussing what your needs are and making you something that fits your needs. That's his business model. From what I can tell, the price would be similar to the Hummingbird but would at least have a ridgeline which I would think you would need for your "net".

Speaking of that inner tent idea for a net, its making your total package weighty and unwieldy. I get you're trying to keep cost sane. Its real hard to say whether you need a net or not, but let's just say there's plenty of us who've gone netless because the need isn't there for where we camp. Being off the ground is big. I also find that if you're in an area that cools significantly at night, that the bugs are gone at night time. May not be the case in your area, but something to consider. You could take a headnet and your bag will provide the rest of the coverage (maybe a long sleeve Tshirt, too).
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    For your comfort, please consider, a hammock 11 feet long and 5 feet wide.
    With an 11 foot hammock, choose an 11 foot tarp, (11foot ridgeline)
    Watch Shug’s ten part series How to hang a hammock, tarp, insulation...
    Browse and study Hammock Forums.
    If possible go to a local group hammock hang near you.
    Hike Your Own Hike and Your Mileage May Vary
    Good Luck
    I would strongly suggest an 11' x 5' hammock suggested by Phantom.

From experience I tried to go the budget route, and it would have been cheaper just to start with a netless hammock from dutch, dreamhammock, warbonnet, or arrowhead.

First night in my first hammock I realized the multiple seams running down the side of the hammock made it very uncomfortable, and impossible to lay sideways. Second hammock had no panels, but was only 48" wide and 10.5' long. Again, could not lay sideways, and the calf ridge is unbearable.

I finally got myself a larger hammock 11'x64" and even though there are some things I dont like about it (again I tried to save some money) I have finally found a way to stay in it all night for the first time just this past weekend. It was also my first time trying to stay overnight in this hammock.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are some here who love the budget route, and if you can make it work my checkbook and myself envy you. But I can say from experience, you will save time and money going for a decent hammock from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by County_mountie View Post
    guenni....remember, and 11ft hammock is only 11 ft when stretched out flat; not when in a hang...you will lose some length once it is hung.
    I know. I was wondering why people here thought my tarp could be too short while it actually is longer than the hammock I might get (2.95m long Hummingbird, when stretched out).

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast