Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hammocks are essentially a piece of fabric and some rope - so what's the difference?

I mean no disrespect with my question, I am just a bit confused. I am looking to get my first hammock system, to be used for bike packing. I consider myself a fairly experienced outdoorsman with decent gear knowledge. Usually I can figure out what sets different systems apart, and why one might be fetching a higher price than another. But when it comes to hammocks I have so far not been able to sniff out the "essence". I have been through loads of videos, forum threads, reviews and loads of manufacturer pages, but I am still slightly bewildered.

To give you an example: I have seen asymmetric hammocks between 100 and 350 Euro. There are some minor differences, as how to unzip a mosquito net and so, but they are all essentially a piece of fabric with some rope in each end. I understand that weight would set various systems apart, as in light and strong equals more expensive. But what other parameters should I keep an eye on?

To give you an other example: To me Warbonnet and Hennessy seem to have very similar product packages. But Warbonnet seems to get most of the love on the forums and is more than double the price. Is this mostly about brand affections, or are there any significant product differences?

Please not that the question above is about hammocks only, why various suspension systems differ in cost and popularity makes a lot more sense to me.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Since you mentioned bike packing I will use that as an example. A bicycle is basically a bicycle is it not? One is not that dissimilar from another. However, a mass produced made in China inexpensive bike is not the same quality as a higher end custom made bike. Sure the cheap bike will do the job, however, the more expensive one is going to be your choice if you can afford it. Hennessey hammocks were innovators in the field of hammock camping and make a decent, if somewhat basic, product. Warbonnet however are better made and have improved on the idea of a camping hammock. From what others say they are also more comfortable than a standard Hennessey, and definatly lighter in weight. With all of the " cottage vendors" you are getting a product that is either custom made to your specs, or produced in small batches using the most up to date materials and designs.
    Like I said, either will work. However if you can afford the custom piece, why not go for it.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    I think you're basically right. A rectangle of fabric is a rectangle of fabric is a rectangle of fabric.

The main differences are the fabric itself, and the added features - bugnets, saddle bags, peak shelves etc.

This is really brought home when you make your own hammock. It's a rectangle, and you hem the sides. Done. Ridiculously simple. But adding the extra features is where the extra work is, and also where the design smarts come in.

I have spent close to $300 (probably more) on various hammocks and components over time trying to get into this cheap. I don’t think there is anything wrong with that because it’s what I was able to do at the time. And if you want to find out if it’s for you, it’s a great way to get in for cheap just to see if you even like it. I will give this advice though... if you immediately get the bug and like it, and you decide this is what you want to do... I’d save your money if you have to and go right for one of the cottage vendors. They are 100% worth it. There is still a lot of research to find the right one for you, but in the end, they are the lightest, most compact, most comfortable and full featured equipment. Now, if you are a DYI kind of person, by all means go that route. Some of those same cottage vendors will sell you the materials so you can make it yourself and save a bunch of money. It’s a lot more work, but you get the satisfaction of it truly being your gear. I don’t have that kind of talent but I still want to make my own just to do it.

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents and I hope it helps someone who is really new to this adventure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I think this one month old thread, asking basically the same question, will be helpful.
    By the way, a Warbonnet Blackbird is definitely not a rectangle.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ensive-hammock

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MAD777; 03-31-2019 at 09:00.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by zzzleeper View Post
    To give you an other example: To me Warbonnet and Hennessy seem to have very similar product packages. But Warbonnet seems to get most of the love on the forums and is more than double the price. Is this mostly about brand affections, or are there any significant product differences?.

this one is a good one to compare actually. they're super similar in basics, but overall have some significant design differences

the Warbonnets will be larger AND lighter. they also have a better bugnet system. the built in shelf and footbox of the blackbird was fairly revolutionary when it was introduced, and is still a fairly unique item

The only problem that might result from starting cheap is that you may end up with a hammock that is so uncomfortable that you never get to the point of owning one that you are pleased with.

Nothing wrong with Hennessey,... unless you buy one that is too short for you. Not a bad starting point at all. That said, if you get hooked, as time goes on, it may well be that you start looking at other hammock that offer more options.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    The only problem that might result from starting cheap is that you may end up with a hammock that is so uncomfortable that you never get to the point of owning one that you are pleased with.
    preach on, brother

totally agree. it's like anything new, if you start at the very bottom, it might be so unappealling you never get to the good stuff

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Hammocks are essentially a piece of fabric and some rope - so what's the difference?

Just like a tent is just a piece of fabric with some poles. How many different types of tents are there ? Size, fabric, shape ect
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post

By the way, a Warbonnet Blackbird is definitely not a rectangle.
    Really?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast