Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I don't know who started that myth, but I have completely taken apart a Warbonnet hammock, and the body definitely is a rectangle. The magic lies in the sag (which is very shallow, compared to all other hammocks I have seen) and the cut of the top (footbox, shelf).
    Exactly, the footbox makes the hammock non-rectangular. Well said!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post

No. The footbox is part of the net / topcover. The body is rectangular.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    I've always thought the shelf is part of the net/top cover and the footbox would be part of the hammock body.

Thanks for all your answers! I am still scratching my head though, to me a hammock is a much simpler piece of equipment than e.g. a bike or a tent, and those are pretty simple to begin with. No offence intended, but in my mind I can not (yet) see the same amount of complexity in a hammock.

To try and summarize, the differences between various hammocks are, as far as I understand:

* The fabric (touch, durability, fabric weight, etc)
    * Single - double layered
    * Size
    * Various accessories

What else should be on the list above?

I am well aware that production costs will differ and I am making the assumption that all producers know how to sew a hem.

I should probably also mention that I do not mind splashing out for the "right" product, I am a firm believer in "buy once, cry once".

Just to ad a small thought, is not the simplicity of hammock camping the beauty and main thing about it? Maybe sometimes passion ads a layer of "complexity" that is not represented in the physical item?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zzzleeper View Post
    To give you an other example: To me Warbonnet and Hennessy seem to have very similar product packages. But Warbonnet seems to get most of the love on the forums and is more than double the price. Is this mostly about brand affections, or are there any significant product differences?
    When you think Warbonnet and Hennessy are even remotely comparable, you have a lot to learn!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    in my mind I can not (yet) see the same amount of complexity in a hammock.
    You have used the right word!

Hammock
    WB Black Bird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie/HG Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Another factor to consider is customer service. I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. I this age of social media and people relentlessly bashing companies for their customer service, or the lack there of. I have had the pleasure of dealing with the customer of some of our cottage venders and all have been pleasurable, and poor customer service is one of my pet peeves.

On another note I absolutely love the comfort of my Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. I've tried my son's Hennessy explorer and though is seems sturdy enough to survive an atomic blast, i found that it was nowhere near as comfortable as my XLC. Just my $.02

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Hammocks aren’t complex. No one said they are. They just take time to make and running a small business isn’t free. It’s not like a well made basic netless hammock is expensive. Maybe $60 after you add a ridgeline, loops, tax, shipping, etc. Perfectly reasonable. And yes, the ridgeline and loops are well worth the added cost. They are made with the strong and lightweight Amsteel material and take time to splice into their final form, so they naturally cost more than basic rope. Don’t forget everything is more expensive these days just because of rampant inflation. Don’t blame the small businesses for having to pay for premium materials to just to get started on the project and then all the extra business taxes and then additionally all the associated costs of having employees like social security, health insurance, workmans comp. Then you have business insurance, advertisement, support, a website to build, shipping and handling. Don’t forget you need a base of operations which will cost maintenance to keep up and property tax and utilities will need to be paid for that location. Then you have to buy sewing machines and teach you workers. There needs to be an allowance for research and development and returns. Not everything will sell as well as you may have hoped it would, so you will probably end up with some unusable overstock.

Once you get all the profit leftover, then you pay income tax and then sales tax on whatever you buy with that money.

There is not a whole lot that is magic or complicated about hammocks, but all the little things add up and it ends up looking like a lot of money for a piece of cloth, but that’s just the way things are.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    Thanks for all your answers! I am still scratching my head though, to me a hammock is a much simpler piece of equipment than e.g. a bike or a tent, and those are pretty simple to begin with. No offence intended, but in my mind I can not (yet) see the same amount of complexity in a hammock.

To try and summarize, the differences between various hammocks are, as far as I understand:

* The fabric (touch, durability, fabric weight, etc)
    * Single - double layered
    * Size
    * Various accessories

What else should be on the list above?

I am well aware that production costs will differ and I am making the assumption that all producers know how to sew a hem.

I should probably also mention that I do not mind splashing out for the "right" product, I am a firm believer in "buy once, cry once".

Just to ad a small thought, is not the simplicity of hammock camping the beauty and main thing about it? Maybe sometimes passion ads a layer of "complexity" that is not represented in the physical item?
    I might add to your list of variables, Hammock Design Modifications, unless you have grouped that into accessories. Some examples are bridge hammock design, stretchy-side knotty mods, tie-outs (i.e. Chameleon), etc.

The complexity is not in the basic idea or the base design of the hammock itself. The complexity is in the design of the entire system to achieve a simple and easy deployment, and maximum comfort level for the individual and the environment in which they are hanging.

It seems like your real question is, why do many people on here spend so much time and effort on something that is so simple, in nature, so complicated in practice? For me it is fun to search out the most efficient and practical solutions to even the most menial problems. For many of us on here, it’s a thrill to see how many variations can be made from a piece of rectangular material and some straps/rope/cordage.
    If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else.
    - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post

By that reasoning, any asym hammock is not rectangular!

The point is that the vast majority of GE hammocks bodies are definitely rectangles. The top is a whole different thing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast