Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thank you all for your replies! Reading through the tread again I realize it could probably look a bit as if I was trolling. That was not my intent, I blame it on a poorly put question from me. And I have taken no offence from the commentators pointing out that I am a noob, I know I am .

Your answers have made me wiser, and what I really should have asked was:

I want a hammock system to go bike packing. It needs to pack small, be light and comfortable. I'm 183 cm, 75 kgs. I need to keep bugs out and rain of. Cost is less of an issue, I will pay for good quality.

A: What is a good sensible setup for this?
    B: And what is the mega-super-duper-unobtainum setup?

It was the distinction between A and B that I was trying to figure out with my initial question, though in a convoluted way.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I’m a big fan of the Warbonnet series.
    For your height, the Blackbird XLC would be my recommendation along with the Wooki Underquilt.
    Then a Topquilt to suit your temperature range (I use an Enlightened Equipment one I got via Massdrop) and an appropriate tarp (mine is DIY but I have a DCF one on the way.

I wouldn’t go DCF for the tarp in your case as the extra cost doesn’t justify the weight difference given you’re not as weight-sensitive as backpackers.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    (Just to add, for the future reader, now that the OP has clarified the original question...)

"Cheap" hammocks purchased online often mis-state their length. Many will SAY they are 10ft or 11ft, but that often includes the rope/connection gear on the end of the hammock in that measurement. Cottage vendors measure the actual fabric and give that length. So, an 11 ft Dutchware Gear Hammock (for example) will be far longer (and thus more comfortable) than the "SuperCheapSuperComfyMassProducedBestEverBuyItNow! " hammock that says it is 11 ft long, but is actually more like 9 ft of cloth with lots of rope on the ends...

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    The hammocks I own:

Cheapie (US$20): Short (somewhere around 9ft), too stretchy nylon which causes shoulder squeeze as I sink into it, reducing comfort.

Cheapie with bugnet (US$25): Also short with too stretchy fabric

Warbonnet Outdoors Blackbird XLC double layer (older version, improvements have been made since) : MUCH more comfortable than the cheapies, full 11 foot length, less stretch so I sink in less and don't get the shoulder squeeze I experienced with the cheapies. Has a useful shelf for storing gear. Better design of the bug net. Can tie out hammock to reduce swaying and keep bug net off my face. Definitely higher quality. Came with whoopie slings.

Warbonnet Outdoors Ridge Runner: Many like this hammock for the flatter lay. I don't like it very much, prefer the gathered end hammocks. This hammock feels narrow and constricting to me.

Dream Hammock Sparrow (1.7mm extra wide fabric, double layer): I LOVE this hammock. Deeper sag than the Blackbird XLC. The ridge line is much higher up from the hammock which keeps the bugnet well away from my face. Firm fabric with little stretch, very much how I like it. VERY wide hammock design, allows diagonal lay at greater angle, I sleep very comfortably in this hammock. DH offer many options to choose from for fabric, length, left or right lay, winter top cover or bugnet or both, etc.

The cheapies were useful enough to testing out whether I found sleeping in a hammock to be comfortable, but once I found that I liked sleeping in a hammock I bought the Blackbird XLC which I found to be a big step up in several ways. The similarities may be many and the difference may seem minor compared to the cost difference, but then you get the hammocks and use them - quickly realising why the dearer hammock is worth many times as much money.

This is similar to the mentioned $300 bike vs $3,000 bike - how different to each other are they really? They both have a frame, wheels, gears, handle bars, etc. They are both made of metal. You can pedal either and travel around. Does the weight difference really justify 10x the price? Of course, anyone that rides both can immediately realise that the quality difference is very significant and the $3,000 bike is a vastly better machine. So it goes for the cheapie vs quality hammocks.

In my case I sleep in my hammock EVERY night, so comfort is extremely important. I've just ordered a second Dream Hammock Sparrow so I can leave the one in my bedroom set up when I pack all my camping gear on the motorcycle for an upcoming trip. In January/February (mid-summer here) I spent 23 days on a motorcycle trip with my DH Sparrow, Tensa 4 stand, Hammock Gear UQ & TQ and SLD 12' Tarp - I slept VERY comfortably every night and really appreciated the quality gear that I had chosen to purchase.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I’m glad you clarified yourself. I was certainly confused about what you were asking.

You seem to have some priorities established. Small volume, comfortable, bug and rain resistant.

Going with a down topquilt and a down underquilt will help a lot with bringing down the size. They are your biggest items and down compresses much smaller than synthetic insulation.

Stay away from double layer hammocks. They are rarely a good choice unless you are a very heavy person and will make your hammock much bigger when stowed away.

A standard width hex shaped tarp is good for most rainstorms. Your tarp ridgeline length should be the same as the full length of your hammock’s body. Since you have to hang a hammock with a lot of sag, an equal length actually is the optimal match. You’ll have at least 8” more tarp than hammock on each end. If you go with a 12’ tarp and a 11’ hammock, you end up needing to pitch your tarp higher to clear the hammock suspension tree straps and your tarp sides will not be as close to the ground. You would need to go with a wide tarp at that point and now you have more fabric to pack away and not a lot of extra rain protection for it. The only real benefit is more headroom when you are standing outside your hammock. Maybe if you have a bad back, it’s a good idea for that reason.

Tarp materials: SilPoly, SilNylon, and DCF (formerly aka Cuben Fiber). SilPoly is the best choice for most. It stretches less and absorbs less water than SilNylon. SilNylon is slightly more durable. DCF is much lighter, but not much less volume when stowed. It is also way more expensive.

You have two fundamental choices when it comes to bugnets. Integrated zippered bugnets or bugnet socks that go around the whole hammock and underquilt. If you go with the sock, you need a ridgeline to suspend the net to keep it off of you. A bottom entry (aka Fronkey) style sock is the most popular choice. They have socks that cinch up with cord locks at the head side peak, but it’s a nuisance to get in and out of. Then they have socks with zippers, but you should just get a zippered hammock instead at that point.

When it comes to integrated zippered bugnets, you can get them with either a zipper on both your left and right sides or just one side of your choice. One zipper is cheaper and lighter and maybe slightly more packable. Two zippers is much more comfortable because it’s easier to adjust your underquilt while in the hammock and you can enter and leave on any side and store things on the ground on any side and be able to get to them while in the hammock. I like to get in and out on the side where my feet point and store things like my stove or maybe my pack on the opposite side. That keeps that stuff out of the way for entering and exiting, but easy to get to from inside the hammock because I have a zipper on each side. You should aim for getting a style that is removable, so that you can go into topless mode when the bugs are not out. Maybe leave the net at home and save some more space. That also leaves you with the option of getting a winter cover at a later date. It’s basically the same thing but made of a breathable fabric for trapping some additional heat and it has a small mesh vent to let moisture escape.

These integrated zippered bugnets have a few variations. Asymmetrical or symmetrical. The asymmetrical versions can be asym right or asym left. When you lay on a diagonal, your feet either go to the right or left of center and that is what the asym left and asym right are referring to, not where your head lies, but your feet. If you flop back and forth between the two while sleeping, you either want a symmetrical zippered net or a sock instead. If you stay put, then get the appropriate asym integrated zippered bugnet style of hammock. FYI, the differences are only in the net portion regarding the asym left and asym right zippered hammocks. If you got one with a removable style bugnet, then the hammock will allow you to lay in either direction while you are in topless mode. The reason for getting an asymmetrical style zippered hammock instead of a symmetrical style zippered hammock is that uses less material because it literally cuts some corners to to make it more streamlined (less floppy fabric and net), which makes it lighter and slightly more packable.

The brands that I would recommend looking at first for hammocks would be SimplyLightDesigns, Warbonnet, and DreamHammock. For tarps and quilts, I’d recommend Warbonnet, UGQ, HammockGear, and SimplyLightDesigns.

Anything that these guys make will satisfy your concerns on comfort. They all get the most important things right. The only things you should keep in mind is to go with an 11’ hammock unless you are pretty short, then a 10’ should suffice (and a 10’ tarp to match). As a rough guideline, aim for about 60” wide if you’re 6’ tall and take off or add however many inches you differ in height from that if not. 58” wide if 5’10”, etc. If you are average weight, the 1.6 oz weight class of fabrics would be your best bet for comfort. 1.2 oz for lighter folks and 1.7 oz for heavier folks.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, UGQ TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by zzzleeper View Post
    Thanks for all your answers! I am still scratching my head though, to me a hammock is a much simpler piece of equipment than e.g. a bike or a tent, and those are pretty simple to begin with. No offence intended, but in my mind I can not (yet) see the same amount of complexity in a hammock.

To try and summarize, the differences between various hammocks are, as far as I understand:

* The fabric (touch, durability, fabric weight, etc)
    * Single - double layered
    * Size
    * Various accessories

What else should be on the list above?

I am well aware that production costs will differ and I am making the assumption that all producers know how to sew a hem.

I should probably also mention that I do not mind splashing out for the "right" product, I am a firm believer in "buy once, cry once".

Just to ad a small thought, is not the simplicity of hammock camping the beauty and main thing about it? Maybe sometimes passion ads a layer of "complexity" that is not represented in the physical item?
    Before you buy, try to go to a “hang” in your area. Most folks are more than happy to let you try out their hammock. You will be able to feel and see the differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of you make it sound like there’s a group hang happening every weekend. Are these events really happening as often as this site makes it seem? I checked my region in that sub forum and nothing is happening anytime soon nor has happened anytime recently. I’m genuinely curious if this is going on that much because I see that a lot...just go to a group hang and check out other peoples stuff before you buy....like it’s easy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
    Some of you make it sound like there’s a group hang happening every weekend. Are these events really happening as often as this site makes it seem? I checked my region in that sub forum and nothing is happening anytime soon nor has happened anytime recently. I’m genuinely curious if this is going on that much because I see that a lot...just go to a group hang and check out other peoples stuff before you buy....like it’s easy.
    Maybe if you’re lucky and live in a good hiking area, there will likely be more frequent hangs, but there aren’t any better ways to see these hammocks in person short of visiting the vendors themself, so you take what you can get and have a little patience if you can

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Or....you can always buy a good hammock and if it does not work out then return it.
    Most of the vendors have a good return policy. Just read the return policy before buying to make sure of details.
    Example of Warbonnets: https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/shipping-returns/
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Sparrow DL #7995
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Various CCF pads
    Suspension
    Whoopies + MSH
    Images
    zzzleeper,

For whatever it's worth, I second pretty much everything that folks here have already suggested.

And I will add my support for the idea of getting a Dream Hammock, since I got a DH Sparrow not too long ago. I don't have any Warbonnet hammocks, so I'm not in a position to compare DH and WB hammocks--though I do have the WB Superfly, which is outstanding, so I can attest to the quality of their workmanship. I don't think you can go wrong with either Dream Hammock or Warbonnet in that category.

I ordered a stock WB Superfly and didn't need any specialized customer service from WB, but they fulfilled the order quickly and accurately, and, as I mentioned, the tarp is top-notch and I absolutely love it!

But, since I experienced it first-hand, I can say the the folks at DH have absolutely amazing and personalized customer service--I spent a lot of time talking with Deanna via email as they helped me nail down the options and modifications that would best satisfy my needs.

Anyway, the DH Sparrow that I have is really comfortable. For reference, I'm about 5'10.5" (~179 cm) and a good bit heavier than you, at around 215 to 220 lbs (~98 to 100 kg). Here's a link to all of the details for my hammock at the DH website (#7995).

In short, it's a double-layer, 11 feet long, and 60 inches wide, with 1.2 oz MTN XL fabric for both of the bottom layers, and I haven't found it to be very stretchy at all--but I must point out that I use a closed-cell foam sleeping pad for my bottom insulation and I'm almost certain that that must influence how stretchy a fabric will end up feeling.

I mention that since you said that you were interested in keeping the hammock light and small in volume, which the 1.2 oz MTN XL fabric definitely is. But DH gives you a good number of options for the fabric you select, whether you want a single or double-layer hammock, and they have 5 different models to choose from, all of which have a variety of customization options. So you've got plenty of choices to dial in exactly what you need and want.

They also have this Hammock Calculator, which allows you to get a rough idea of the weight of the final hammock after selecting various fabric and suspension options.

Hope that helps!
    ~Sleepy

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast