DIY Taffeta 11'
    Tarp
    HG Quest 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware Poly

Tarp ridgeline preference?

I've been using about 30' of 550 paracord which works but is bulky. I've seen where a lot of people use zing it or lash it for tarp ridgelines and bear bag line. Just wanted to get an idea what some of you use and the length you carry for both the ridgeline and bear bag??
    Last edited by OutandBack; 04-04-2019 at 00:43.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I use 30' of Lawson Glowire (2mm) for tarp RL and also for guy lines. I am a no-hardware UL freakazoid, and although this cord is a bit heavier than others, it holds any kind of knot and is highly tangle resistant. And it shines like those Star Wars light swords.

glowire_night_shine_small.jpg

Lawson also makes the best bear bag line I have ever used. 50' length is good... I've tried using 40' in the past and it has always left me wanting just a little bit more.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I've been using the same 35' piece of 1.2 mm Tech Line from DIY Gear Supply for years. I use it as a continuous ridgeline (like a Brooklyn clothesline). Lightweight, doesn't tangle, no signs of wearing out.
    https://diygearsupply.com/product/tech-line/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    I love my orange 1.8mm reflectix from Dutch for my tarp CRLs(30ft), and for my tie-outs. I use Dutch hooks on one side of the CRL, the other side I have the Wasp. I just order a Stinger for a new CRL that I’m making. On my tie outs I keep tarp worms installed. I do enjoy playing with knots, but I also really enjoy using well engineered accessories. The reflectix is not friendly when it comes to untying knots.

Paracord is bulky and stretchy, so I stopped using for most things. If I need a weight bearing line, or want to use knots, I’ll use Amstel. Anything at least 2mm or larger works best for knots.

For my bear bag (or around here, raccoon bag, haha) I just use a lightweight nylon line from Home Depot or Lowe’s. The line is about 40ft.
    If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else.
    - Yogi Berra

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I use 30 feet of Lash / Zing It or 1.7 UHMWPE line to make my tarp ridge lines. As others have said, Para Cord is bulky and stretchy. Also do not use braided Mason Line. That stuff will turn in to a tangled birds nest if you just look at it.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I used DutchWearGear 35 ft CRL and you can order it in many variations.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/co...type-and-color

For the bear bag I use Z-Packs kit - http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/bear_bag.shtml

Images
    I have more different ridgelines than I know what to do with, but just purchased one more - as described in this thread.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...umn-Ultralight

Most often I use split ridge ties with 12' Lash-It spliced onto Dutchware Stingerz. I don't think it gets much faster than setting up with these (just my opinion).

For CRLs, I have them from 30' - 40' with various hardware: Dutch Hooks, Wasps, Flyz, Fleaz, LoopAliens, Nama Claws, Tactical Toggles, Nite Ize Figure 9s...

Zing-It, Lash-It, Lawson Glowire, Lawson Statline, Dutch Reflect-It...

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I use Nite-Ice cord for guylines and figure-9's. Had I to do it over, I would use a different reflective cord because the nite-ize doesn't slide very well. The reflective "chips" catch/snag a bit. But I would definitely use a reflective cord.

For tarp ridge line I use 3mm utility cord (REI) though this summer I may play with smaller stuff. My concern is in the PNW we get a wide range of tree diameters. But I can see that carrying a length for 80% of the trees I'd use an one "extension" line (like a 3 ft dog bone) might be just as good as the whole 50 ft hank.

For a bear bag - if you mean a hung food bag - I use a much thicker cord. First, I throw a pulley over the branch, lower it, and put my haul line through the pulley. That way, raising/lowering the heavy food bag is not sawing through the branch. Because of tugging on a heavy load and wanting to quickly tie/untie the anchor point, a thicker line is easier on the hands and to work with - especially when wet.

Recently, when kayaking, I've started using a "bear" canister. Depending on the trip duration, I may still hang the bulk of food while keeping a day or two's worth in the canister on the ground (still away from camp). That way I'm not raising/lowering the food six times or more (when I forget to hoist up the trash)a day. For trash, I've found an empty protein powder container with wide screw on lid has been critter (raccoon/squirrel) proof so far.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 03-31-2019 at 14:01.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I use Zing-It 1.75 mm for tarp ridgeline, tie-outs and bear bag. Actually, I haven't used a bear bag in 6 or 7 years - the Ursack has been working fine for me. Occasionally, if I'm out camping and I see bear scat, I will even hang the Ursack just for peace of mind.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Yep...I've been using the same 2.2mm zing-it/lash-it for years for both. I think my tarp ridgeline is about 30' and the bear bag just shy of 60'. It's overkill I know but there have been times where I was the only one with the length to hit that one crazy high limb. It figure it's light/cheap insurance. The 180' roll was enough to do the same for me and a friend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast