Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I bought a couple of becket loops a while back to go with an Appalachian Hammock from RBTR's fire sale and finally had a chance to try them out this morning. Full disclosure, until today, I had not actually tied a becket hitch (well, for the purposes of hanging a hammock, anyway) - I've used either daisy chain, cinch buckles or whoopie slings on a marlin spike hitch to huggers.

I have to say I love the simplicity of the becket hitch, and after hanging in the hammock for a bit, I can't imagine trying to untie with without the "auxiliary grip loop" of the becket loops. I just ordered another pair in black so I can outfit my other "main" hammock and have different colored loops on the head/foot ends.

Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    I bought a couple of becket loops a while back to go with an Appalachian Hammock from RBTR's fire sale and finally had a chance to try them out this morning. Full disclosure, until today, I had not actually tied a becket hitch (well, for the purposes of hanging a hammock, anyway) - I've used either daisy chain, cinch buckles or whoopie slings on a marlin spike hitch to huggers.

I have to say I love the simplicity of the becket hitch, and after hanging in the hammock for a bit, I can't imagine trying to untie with without the "auxiliary grip loop" of the becket loops. I just ordered another pair in black so I can outfit my other "main" hammock and have different colored loops on the head/foot ends.
    I'm glad they're working out well for you!
    My name is Anne Marie and I make things.
    www.autumnoutdoorgear.com

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

question on Beckett loops

Autumn, what material is used for the grab loop part of your Beckett loops and how long is the bury into the loop? I'd like to be able to switch between the Beckett hitch and whoopie slings with Dutchware whoopie hooks, but the main loop of the Beckett loops is too thick for the hooks. They fit on the grab loop, but I suspect that those aren't meant to bear full hanging weight since they're really there to provide some mechanical leverage for undoing the hitch. I suppose I could attach the whoopie hook back onto the sling after passing it through the Beckett loop.

Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    Autumn, what material is used for the grab loop part of your Beckett loops and how long is the bury into the loop? I'd like to be able to switch between the Beckett hitch and whoopie slings with Dutchware whoopie hooks, but the main loop of the Beckett loops is too thick for the hooks. They fit on the grab loop, but I suspect that those aren't meant to bear full hanging weight since they're really there to provide some mechanical leverage for undoing the hitch. I suppose I could attach the whoopie hook back onto the sling after passing it through the Beckett loop.
    Hello. I use 7/64 Amsteel for the main loop and the finger pull. I'm not comfortable hanging in the finger pull loop though.

I mean it's spliced in there quite well but I'm just not comfortable using these in any way other than intended.

If I were you I would make a normal continuous loop for the hammock and then splice a smaller zingit or dynaglide finger loop around the main loop. That way you can use the whoopie hooks without any issue and still have the assist loop for when you want to becket hitch.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldautumndays View Post
    Hello. I use 7/64 Amsteel for the main loop and the finger pull. I'm not comfortable hanging in the finger pull loop though.

I mean it's spliced in there quite well but I'm just not comfortable using these in any way other than intended.

If I were you I would make a normal continuous loop for the hammock and then splice a smaller zingit or dynaglide finger loop around the main loop. That way you can use the whoopie hooks without any issue and still have the assist loop for when you want to becket hitch.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
    Got it, thanks!

Hammock
    HG Bug Net
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix
    I'm late to the party, but I just got mine in yesterday! I've strung it up without my tarp due to being busy, but I should be hanging this weekend, I'm excited about this set up. I'm tired of prusik knots, and I don't need as much cordage when I don't use the V system. Everything came quickly, Autumn Leaf changed my address when I stupidly put in the wrong one, and it all looks great quality. Thanks a bunch!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just bought some ultralight soft shackles with the plastic toggles from Autumn, and would be curious to see how others here are using them. I just larksheaded them into the ends of my hammock suspension to hang my boots and pack from.

Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    I just bought some ultralight soft shackles with the plastic toggles from Autumn, and would be curious to see how others here are using them. I just larksheaded them into the ends of my hammock suspension to hang my boots and pack from.
    Thank you for ordering those.

I use them to hang my camp sandals off my pack and to hang my pack from my hammocks continuous loop.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Got a chance to use the soft shackles this weekend and they worked great! Nifty little things to hang my pack and coat from. Looking into the the ridgeline and hammocks now...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well based on the quality of the continuous loops I purchased, and all the great pictures I saw online, I ordered a new Juniper hammock! Really looking forward to using it later this year when it arrives. I'm expecting my first child in mid august so I'm thinking I can lounge in the backyard with my newborn daughter when its nap time.

Also as a Cleveland expat now living in Minnesota I was happy to send some business back to a fellow Clevelander!

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast