Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need advice- Long distance between trees

Hey all, I'm struggling to get a good hang in areas when there is a long distance (30+ feet) between suitable trees. I'm new to all this so maybe it has been covered before but I can't seem to find it on the forum anywhere. Any advantage in these situations to using buckle vs whoopie? I know you have to try to get higher on the tree but that can be tough sometimes! Thanks for the help

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    The problem is that unless you're climbing the trees, you have to hang at a shallow angle. That's puts a LOT of pressure on your suspension, but that's why they are rated so high for strength (1000+ lbs). Both get hard to undo when you're packing up (or just need more slack), but whoopies can be better if using hooks or clips. I wouldn't put that sort of pressure on a toggle method suspension. Note that its real hard to create slack in the whoopie when they're tight without disconnecting. Buckles are real hard, too, but a little fiddling will work. Fiddling is not fun in cold weather, but I'm gathering you shouldn't have to worry about that.

And, of course, this can adversely affect your lay if you don't have a ridgeline on your hammock, making for some ornery calf ridge typically. If you don't have one, get one for sure.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Good point on the ridgeline, that may help. I set up the first time and it was like sleeping on a tightrope, afraid I was going to roll right out!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Hang as close to one tree, as if both trees were 15 feet apart. Make a bipod or tripod tall enough to hang from, placed 15 feet from tree that is closest.
    Run a strong line from first tree, to bipod-tripod secured with a marlin spike hitch around bipod-tripod. Continue strong line to second tree. Attach to second tree a little higher than first tree, but not too high.
    Secure ground ends of poles in bipod-tripod with sturdy stakes into ground—not scrawny light stakes.
    I think, with some searching online and YouTube, you will find examples of this setup. Some have even used a one pole set up instead of bipod or tripod. I do not recommend one pole setup for beginners.
    Carefully load hammock, in case your rigging needs adjustment!
    Your Mileage May Vary, Good Luck

In case, this seems too much, maybe buy a hammock stand. Or install a post or posts with a solid cross bar across the top, higher than all your gear. This cross bar can help prevent posts from leaning towards one another.
    Also numerous threads and YouTube videos showing various setups.

If you skip all above and hang between two trees 30 or more feet apart. Study threads on 30 degree angle of hang. Usually when hanging on trees far apart; attachment points are not high enough. If your suspension looks like a flat horizontal line—great stresses are there when you load or get in hammock. This can increase chances of tree snapping and falling on your head. Or your suspension can be stressed enough to break.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Check out the Hammock Hang Calculator.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

If you want to maintain 30* angle (and you do) on your suspension, then with your anchor points at 32 ft., you will need to mount the tree straps 10.7 feet up the tree. That's a shear force of 173.21 lbs. and a cord tension of 200 lbs. If you go shallower on your hang angle (i.e., mount the straps lower at 5.7 ft.) the forces go through the roof. For example, at 15*, the shear force is 373.21 lbs. and the cord tension is 386 lbs.

I'd stick a post in the ground rather than try to hang between anchor points that far apart.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Awesome! Thanks for the great advice. Hopefully a little tinkering will get it right

If I had to hang from trees 30' apart, I would climb one of the trees and attach a line either high up the trunk or, better yet, on a thick branch that moves closer to the other tree. You don't need to climb both trees if you just setup much closer to the tree that is hardest to climb. If you couldn't climb either tree and don't have a stand, I wonder if it would work to hang one end of the hammock from a tiedown strap tight between both trees (assuming these are large trees)?

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Hangtime calculator and a ladder. I did this between my deck and the only tree in my backyard. Used lag eye bolts, caribiners, 15’ straps, whoopies, and a marlin spike hitch/toggle.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    The problem is that unless you're climbing the trees, you have to hang at a shallow angle. That's puts a LOT of pressure on your suspension, but that's why they are rated so high for strength (1000+ lbs). Both get hard to undo when you're packing up (or just need more slack), but whoopies can be better if using hooks or clips. I wouldn't put that sort of pressure on a toggle method suspension. Note that its real hard to create slack in the whoopie when they're tight without disconnecting. Buckles are real hard, too, but a little fiddling will work. Fiddling is not fun in cold weather, but I'm gathering you shouldn't have to worry about that.

And, of course, this can adversely affect your lay if you don't have a ridgeline on your hammock, making for some ornery calf ridge typically. If you don't have one, get one for sure.
    And use 7/64 Amsteel for the structural ridgeline, because, with the relatively shallow angle, you are going to need that strength. I tie the head end with a Bowline Knot and the other with an Adjustable Grip Hitch. The AGH seems to work okay, but if you get slippage, you can use an aluminum Loop Alien or LA clone for adjustability.

Also, if you use a cinch-buckle strap system, you won't have to worry about untying tight knots.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Scout around & find some tree's that are closer together...saves a lot of hassle.

...unless your experimenting or have no choice.

Single wrap around your tree, easier to adjust. Use a 'Y' shaped stick to push your straps higher. Extend your straps if need be. Make sure your suspension adjustment is reachable. Test lay.
    Last edited by ofuros; 07-05-2019 at 16:25.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast