The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post
    For me personally, I've always hated feeling like I was "sliding" around in the hammock with any little movement. With AIRWAVE, that doesn't happen. But yeah it is definitely a personal preference thing.
    Definitely a personal preference thing. When I get in a hammock I spend about 30 seconds wriggling around finding the sweet spot. I like the slippery fabrics cos they make this process easier. I associate "sticky" fabrics with always feeling like I'm stuck in a not-quite-optimal position in my hammock.

I'm currently sleeping every night in a MTN 1.2 hammock, and I like its slippery, plasticky goodness

HYOH for sure...

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    Definitely a personal preference thing. When I get in a hammock I spend about 30 seconds wriggling around finding the sweet spot. I like the slippery fabrics cos they make this process easier. I associate "sticky" fabrics with always feeling like I'm stuck in a not-quite-optimal position in my hammock.

I'm currently sleeping every night in a MTN 1.2 hammock, and I like its slippery, plasticky goodness

HYOH for sure...
    I've tried a number of fabrics and the MTN 1.2 is by far my favorite. It's just a perfect balance of all aspects for me.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end + HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    DIY 9x9 SilNylon
    Insulation
    DIY 850 Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    Thanks for the info! I about to stock up on some fabric for a few projects and I may give this stuff a try.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I just completed a 11' gathered end with this fabric. I have to say I really like the feel, but then again I don't.

The fabric feels really good against my bare skin but it really grips clothing. I don't like to feel constricted or confined. And I really don't like my clothes bunching up and tugging at me. So I don't think I'll like this for winter sleeping when I am more inclined to wear layers of clothing to sleep.

That being said I think I MAY like it for summer sleeping when I'll be wearing minimal clothing. The feel of the fabric against my mostly bare skin I think will be a lot more pleasant than slick nylon.

This fabric would be excellent for making slings, chairs, or gear storage where you don't want people or things to slide around.

Just my 2 cents I think everyone will need to try it and decide for themselves.
    Got time to breath, you got time for music - Brisco Darlin

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I ordered a few yards of this fabric along with a few yards of Monolite...

I always slide to the foot end regardless of how high I put it... I hate that!! I just wish the weight of this stuff was a bit lighter. Interested in you longer term report when you get there.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    I finished the monolite hammock yesterday. I dont think that that is a hammock fabric and I dont think about it as a bugnet either. Its firm, but just dont like the feel very much.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kardinal_emilus View Post
    I finished the monolite hammock yesterday. I dont think that that is a hammock fabric and I dont think about it as a bugnet either. Its firm, but just dont like the feel very much.
    Interesting feedback. Not surprised at all. I have a Robic 1.2 hammock and it's a bit too stretchy for me. I haven't started the Monolite yet, but I am thinking it will be more of a day hike tool than a serious backpacking hammock.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by chknbone View Post
    Picked up some of RipStopByTheRoll's new 1.8oz Airwave hybrid ripstop nylon (https://ripstopbytheroll.com/product...-ripstop-nylon) on Monday to make a new hammock. The material does have an almost cotton feel to it but it's not as smooth as something like a cotton t-shirt or cotton sheets. It definitely does not have that "slick" feel to it that my other nylon hammocks have. I don't think there will be the issue of sliding down if your feet aren't higher than your head.

It really easy to deal with sewing-wise. The material is coarse enough for the feed dogs to move it with ease. The material holds a crease pretty well which made starting the rolled-hems really easy as well.

It also feels like it has less stretch when I get in it (which I like) than my 1.1 nylon, 1.6 Hyper D, or 1.8 nylon hammocks.

The only "issue" I had with it is that it took a lot more effort to move around and get situated than the "slick" ones. I was wearing jeans and a grid pattern fleece top and that fleece top wanted nothing to do with sliding around in there (hence why I don't think my feet would need to be higher than my head in this hammock).

I think it will be a great summer hammock when I'm wearing gym shorts and thin shirts.

The hammock weighs in at 12.3oz at 135" x 60". I don't think the site specifies the weight limit yet but they told me that it should be around 400lbs.
    Just put together my first hammock with this new airweave fabric. I have to agree with everything the OP stated.
    -Very easy to sew with.
    -excellent feel to the skin.
    -Minimal stretch, which I favor.

But it does ‘tug’ on the clothes when shifting. Wearing a light weight cotton shirt I resorted to tucking it in to keep it from being pulld up my back.

I’m going to need to use it for a few nights to really test it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Great report Mike, thanks.

Kyle, any chance this fabric might come in lighter versions, 1.6 or even lighter?

Thanks!
    Rick
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktreks View Post
    Great report Mike, thanks.

Kyle, any chance this fabric might come in lighter versions, 1.6 or even lighter?

Thanks!
    Rick
    Yes eventually. I think a 1.2-1.3 osy would be nice.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast