HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Hickery's Favorite
    Insulation
    UQ: HG 20F
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties

New Hammock - RipStop's new 1.8oz Airwave Hybrid

Picked up some of RipStopByTheRoll's new 1.8oz Airwave hybrid ripstop nylon (https://ripstopbytheroll.com/product...-ripstop-nylon) on Monday to make a new hammock. The material does have an almost cotton feel to it but it's not as smooth as something like a cotton t-shirt or cotton sheets. It definitely does not have that "slick" feel to it that my other nylon hammocks have. I don't think there will be the issue of sliding down if your feet aren't higher than your head.

It really easy to deal with sewing-wise. The material is coarse enough for the feed dogs to move it with ease. The material holds a crease pretty well which made starting the rolled-hems really easy as well.

It also feels like it has less stretch when I get in it (which I like) than my 1.1 nylon, 1.6 Hyper D, or 1.8 nylon hammocks.

The only "issue" I had with it is that it took a lot more effort to move around and get situated than the "slick" ones. I was wearing jeans and a grid pattern fleece top and that fleece top wanted nothing to do with sliding around in there (hence why I don't think my feet would need to be higher than my head in this hammock).

I think it will be a great summer hammock when I'm wearing gym shorts and thin shirts.

The hammock weighs in at 12.3oz at 135" x 60". I don't think the site specifies the weight limit yet but they told me that it should be around 400lbs.

(Nothing fancy here. Just a plain, gathered end hammock but thought I'd throw in a picture of it anyway)

Super bright, looks great! How was it for breathability compared to normal hammock fabrics?

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    Thanks for the report! I personally like my hammocks to be at least a little “slippery” so I can easily move around in it, and this is one concern I had with the Airweave, so thanks for your sharing your findings.
    On the positive side, (and thanks for this detail) the fact that the feed dogs easily grip the fabric and general ease of sewing sounds good!

Hammock
    DIY Chameleon Compatible AIRWAVE1.8
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    Habanero/Serrano
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    Appreciate the report. I've got due in this week for a new hammock.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Hickery's Favorite
    Insulation
    UQ: HG 20F
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by HMLCK View Post
    Super bright, looks great! How was it for breathability compared to normal hammock fabrics?
    Not sure yet as I haven't gotten a lot of time in it (and I was fully covered with clothing when I was in it). It's supposed to be in the mid-70s here this weekend so maybe I'll get a chance to try it out in shorts....

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by chknbone View Post
    Picked up some of RipStopByTheRoll's new 1.8oz Airwave hybrid ripstop nylon (https://ripstopbytheroll.com/product...-ripstop-nylon) on Monday to make a new hammock. The material does have an almost cotton feel to it but it's not as smooth as something like a cotton t-shirt or cotton sheets. It definitely does not have that "slick" feel to it that my other nylon hammocks have. I don't think there will be the issue of sliding down if your feet aren't higher than your head.

It really easy to deal with sewing-wise. The material is coarse enough for the feed dogs to move it with ease. The material holds a crease pretty well which made starting the rolled-hems really easy as well.

It also feels like it has less stretch when I get in it (which I like) than my 1.1 nylon, 1.6 Hyper D, or 1.8 nylon hammocks.

The only "issue" I had with it is that it took a lot more effort to move around and get situated than the "slick" ones. I was wearing jeans and a grid pattern fleece top and that fleece top wanted nothing to do with sliding around in there (hence why I don't think my feet would need to be higher than my head in this hammock).

I think it will be a great summer hammock when I'm wearing gym shorts and thin shirts.

The hammock weighs in at 12.3oz at 135" x 60". I don't think the site specifies the weight limit yet but they told me that it should be around 400lbs.

(Nothing fancy here. Just a plain, gathered end hammock but thought I'd throw in a picture of it anyway)
    Thanks for sharing Mike! To your point on "slickness", we totally agree. It is very different from other fabs in terms of friction between you and the hammock. For me personally, I've always hated feeling like I was "sliding" around in the hammock with any little movement. With AIRWAVE, that doesn't happen. But yeah it is definitely a personal preference thing. We were actually thinking of adding a new metric for "Friction" when we do the hammock fabric comparison chart.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I just ordered some of this fabric. I’ll be happy to post my opinions when I finish my new hammock.
    Got time to breath, you got time for music - Brisco Darlin

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I will have to try this fabric out for my wife's hammock. She doesn't care for the way my ponchos liners feel and quite often lays a cotton sheet in her hammock when we camp. I bet this will be the perfect material for her.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY 0* HG 0*
    Suspension
    Hg daisy chain
    Nice color! Mine is getting delivered on Monday. I can’t wait!

Interesting, more choices is a good thing. Quite the glow to that colour too. Almost a neon bowling thing going on. Can likely find it after dusk Cheers

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast