Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Hammock recommendations

So I’m looking for a new hammock. Looking for recommendations based on these criteria…

Double layer
    Symmetrical hang
    Structural ridge line
    Attached bug net

Hopefully I’ve placed this post in the right area…

Most of the vendors typically discussed here can provide those features. Any GE hammock with an integrated net will have a SRL. So, it comes down to making other choices. Do you want the bugnet to be removeable? If so, will you want a different top in the future? How much customization might you want to make in either features or colors? Which fabric(s) are going to go into that double layer? Is the DL for using a pad or are you doing it for firmness? Fabric choices will determine feel, weight, and weight capacity. Is weight important?

What length? Many vendors offer an option. 10'? 11'? 12'?

Just out of curiosity, what's the current hammock? What's to like or not like about it?

(Surprised that you haven't posted until now in the 9 years or so since becoming a member...)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Jeffronomicon, I usually say "Welcome to the forum." on the first post - but as TominMN pointed out, you've been around for a while. So ... Welcome to the posting world!

I can't think of any of the many vendors mentioned in these forums who don't offer at least one hammock that matches your criteria. To badly paraphrase Yoda, "There is no best; there is only try."
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

As much as I like my Blackbirds, as far as I know, WB doesn't have an offering in a symmetrical GE hammock with an integrated bugnet.

And I'm just making the assumption here that GEs are what we're talking about...

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Height is of course a big factor.

Something of a 'generic' spec 11' x 58" (L x W) might work if you're in the 5'9" to 6'2" range, but people are all over the map regarding preferences, with some people 5'7" preferring a wide 12' hammock and, occasionally, taller people who like shorter hammocks.

I'm 5'8" and my sweet spot is 10' x 64", the very first recommendation given to me by Dream Hammock. But I'm really okay with 11' x 58" as well.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Yup, length and width can be just as subjective as fabric choice. Some will say that, all other things being equal, a longer hammock feels more comfortable. But then is the extra weight and the need for a longer fly worth it? A bit more width allows a greater lay angle and that too can add to comfort. Sooooo many choices/options......

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    My generic suggestion, 11 feet long gathered end hammock a bit wider than 5 feet but not 6 feet, say 66 inches wide
    If summer camping, a zippered bugnet with zippers on both sides
    Single layer, in 1.6 Hexon wide fabric

Dial in your own style, and maybe try out a few different hammocks at group hangs, before making your own choices

Good luck

Many of us have gotten more than one hammock, seeking hammock nirvana

My path, so far
    ENO Doublenest hammock
    11x5 double layer hammock
    12x6 single layer hammock
    Eleven and half footer between 68 and 70 inches wide with zippered bugnet hammock

12x6 most comfortable for me…little or no Calf Ridge Pressure CRP happens
    Very close in comfort is 11 and half by wide zippered bugnet hammock

I have the blackbird. I’ve checked a few other brands out but haven’t seen anything that fits what I’m looking for yet. I was hoping someone would just throw out a specific hammock they know fits the bill…

Original BB or XLC?

Okay, take a look at Dutch's Chameleon and Dream Hammock's Sparrow for starts. These are two of the most popular these days (besides what you have.) Be aware that DH has a fairly long waiting list - an indication of demand to some extent. If you like the idea of DH's Dangerbird, it might be possible to have it built as a symmetrical one. SLD and Superior are a couple of other options. AHE and HG both make fine hammocks but are far better known for their quilts. Hennessy doesn't get talked about a whole lot here and I'm not even sure if they make anything symmetrical. 1.6 nylon (HyperD, Hexon, etc.) may well be the most commonly used fabric these days, particularly for a single-layer hammock. BUT,... you specified double layer! So you might want different fabrics for the two layers. Many folks want the inside of the hammock to have a soft feel.

Other than that, take a look at the various questions and suggestions that have been posed above.

If you're still undecided, try going to a hang and you may well have opportunities to sample a few.
    Last edited by TominMN; 09-29-2022 at 19:11.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffronomicon View Post
    I have the blackbird. I’ve checked a few other brands out but haven’t seen anything that fits what I’m looking for yet. I was hoping someone would just throw out a specific hammock they know fits the bill…
    More specifics are needed, specifically what do/don't you like about the BB .............

I'd suggest you contact Dutchware to discuss. Or contact Jared at Simply Light Designs.

If you just want somewhere to start, check out the Dutchware Chameleon which has all your preferred options in the drop-down product menu.

I have a few hammocks, including a Chameleon which is an excellent hammock. I use it mainly in cold weather with a winter cover which works quite well for me. I also have Dream Hammock Dariens and SLD Tree Runners and they are also great. It's hard to go horribly wrong, in my experience. But a lot of that hinges on that initial great recommendation on sizing from DH.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast