Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Solo hiking has its charm. No one bothers to think, and you can sing around the campfire and walk at any pace. However, it is always tricky for me to fall asleep in the middle of a dense forest. The constant rustling of grass and leaves, the crackling of branches, and a constant gust of wind, just do not let you stop thinking, what if someone is standing there? Of course, it also happens that the shadows look unusual, and you can even say scary. But nothing can scare you more than a sudden crack of branches right behind your back. It's even scarier not because it's dark, but because nothing is visible around. The mind makes you see what is not really there. Therefore, before I fall asleep, I put on headphones and a mask over my eyes to not see or hear anything. I don't remember where I bought the headphones, but I ordered the mask from a site similar to this one https://luxkidz.dk/tilbud . Aren't you afraid to sleep in the woods at night?
    Last edited by SerafinaDahn; 02-03-2022 at 17:49.

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    Generally I wear a l wool hat and linen thobe, which regulates moisture and temp while adding privacy in group situations. This weekend I'll be above the snow line for the first time and expect to add some thermals and a pair of socks.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    SerafinaDahn, I wasn’t scared until I read your description of all those sites and sounds. In my hiking days (I sea kayak now), on a thru-hike, I’d hike till dark and toss out my bivi bag. One night - and only one night - I stopped early and sat around as darkness came. And with that darkness came sounds. and light reflections, like eyes, from the tall grass and bushes - all around.

One night in my hammock, I was sure I felt something run under the hammock, its back slightly lifting the underside. The next morning I carefully looked for any animal prints. There were none to be found. Then, much later, I was hanging on a windy night and the tree swayed a little bit. And that sway imparted a slack and then tighten to the hammock. And it felt just like some critter had grazed the bottom. So that was probably it. Or not.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SerafinaDahn View Post
    Solo hiking has its charm. No one bothers to think, and you can sing around the campfire and walk at any pace. However, it is always tricky for me to fall asleep in the middle of a dense forest. The constant rustling of grass and leaves, the crackling of branches, and a constant gust of wind, just do not let you stop thinking, what if someone is standing there? Of course, it also happens that the shadows look unusual, and you can even say scary. But nothing can scare you more than a sudden crack of branches right behind your back. It's even scarier not because it's dark, but because nothing is visible around. The mind makes you see what is not really there. Therefore, before I fall asleep, I put on headphones and a mask over my eyes to not see or hear anything. I don't remember where I bought the headphones, but I ordered the mask from a site similar to this one https://luxkidz.dk/tilbud . Aren't you afraid to sleep in the woods at night?
    After a few hundred nights in the woods you figure out that nothing is there.

Just for giggles, some nights when I get up to irrigate the vegetation I turn my headlamp up to full blast, about 200 lumens, which really lights up the woods, to see if there are any retinas reflecting back at me. Over the years I've only seen other creatures twice, one being a deer and the other being a tiny wood mouse peeking out of a rotted knot in a fallen tree.

I've heard coyote many times and a few times either a fox (likely) or screech owl or bobcat, all of which can make a very scary sound like a woman screaming in terror. First time I heard that I must admit I was more than a bit concerned, but now that I know what it is I just smile to myself and recall that first time when I was worried unnecessarily.

The best sleeping formula IMO is to hike 15-20 miles, eat a good dinner, and maybe take some melatonin. It's important to make absolutely sure everything in camp is stowed properly, food hung, etc, because these things can weigh on your mind and prevent sleep. Even if the weather is good I put up my tarp because I still ponder the possibility of a small passing rain shower and I hate to have to jump out of the hammock in the middle of the night to rig the tarp. Some people use snake skins to hasten this process, but still I don't even want to worry about that. I sleep much better knowing it is already properly deployed.

What can really keep me awake are birds such as owls hooting all night. Or whippoorwills, which nearly drove me insane one night when I forgot to pack my ear plugs. After that, I never again forgot to bring them! Ear plugs are also good if you hike with occasionally restless snorers... like me
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I typically sleep in shorts and a tank in warmer weather, or thermal baselayer or leggings and long sleeves in colder times.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    What can really keep me awake are birds such as owls hooting all night. Or whippoorwills, which nearly drove me insane one night when I forgot to pack my ear plugs. After that, I never again forgot to bring them! Ear plugs are also good if you hike with occasionally restless snorers... like me
    I think it's their job to make racket all night until sun up. The whippoorwills though...they take it to another level. Sometimes, they'll go quiet for a bit longer...you think they're done...then. AAAAAHHHHH STFU!!!!!!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Drumming Grouse.

First couple times on solo hikes I thought someone was trying to start one of those 2-stroke hit and miss engines all night. They were almost getting it to go too!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Drumming Grouse.

First couple times on solo hikes I thought someone was trying to start one of those 2-stroke hit and miss engines all night. They were almost getting it to go too!
    Just googled and YTed it. Holy cow, that's exactly it! Wikipedia says we don't have em in Florida, thankfully.

And to keep on topic, earplugs are sleep clothing.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Oh yeah - sleeping attire. I forgot because ypur scary images pushed the question out of my mind. I wear light cotton pj’s, light ankle height socks, and have a balaclava on the ready, if the temperature requires it.
    I don’t like nylon against my skin and it’s easier to wash night clothes than quilts. Changing into the jammies erases the hardships of the day.

Yes, “cotton kills” if you wear it as an outer garment in a wet/cold enviroment. But if it’s really hot, wetting a cotton shirt or hat in a stream adds to its cooling effect - it’s a feature, not a bug. And unless your tarp has a sever leak, your TQ/Hammock/UQ should be a protected/dry environment. for soft cotton in a cloud of down.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I find that light or mid weight merino under garments seem to regulate the heat so they are warm when its cold and seem cooler at higher temps. From there I supplement with additional fleece sweatpants and jersey, beanie or balaclava, as required.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast