Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images

Where to hang in Sedona Arizona?

Hey HF members from Arizona...Can anyone tell me where in Sedona AZ is a good place to hang? I am planning a trip to the Grand Canyon, and am renting a place in Sedona to use as a base camp for exploring from. Your advise/expertise is appreciated. Thank goodness Sedona is 4000 ft above sea level to mitigate the heat of Summer as compared to Phoenix/Scottsdale.

If you like hiking into spectacular box canyon scenery, try out the Boynton Canyon trail. The trail crosses into a USFS Wilderness area which allow off-trail dispersed camping.

Here is a link to the USFS page for Boynton Canyon:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coco...a/?recid=55242

I've never camped back in there, but saw lots of first class hammocking areas deep in the upper reaches of the canyon. I wish that I had my gear with me then!

As a bonus there are several uncurated Sinagua cliff dwelling ruins along the way. They are hard to find, but it makes for a fun hunt. Hint, the older USGS topo maps show them, but the USFS hiking maps and Nat Geo Trails Illustrated maps don't. At least one is visible from the trail if you know where to look.

Attached pic is from this January...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by snowtrac; 03-27-2019 at 13:23.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    There are several campgrounds up Oak Creek Canyon. Have stayed in Cave Spring CG a few times and it works pretty well for hammocks...you may have to drive around a little and eyeball the sites before picking one but many will work if they are not already taken. Not a bad basecamp to see the rest of Oak Creek. On the Rim closer to Flag there are countless spots.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I’ll offer this.
    It was a 4 day trip but short mileages. I ended the trip by hiking out right onto the main road in Sedona to give you an idea how close these places were to the city.

I included trail and camping info in the video description.

https://youtu.be/929aCRl8h_s

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Check out Kirk Papke's youTube channel as he's posted some hike in this vicinity.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqF...h851xGg/videos

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Thank goodness Sedona is 4000 ft above sea level to mitigate the heat of Summer as compared to Phoenix/Scottsdale.
    I was in Arizona for a weekend last September. Stayed there after a business trip to Phoenix and Tucson ended on Friday and I had to be in California on Monday. Didn't camp, but did rent a motorcycle and visited Payson and Sedona. It was 107° F in Scottsdale in September. When I rolled into Payson I saw a bank sign that said it was only 98° F. Though I've never been so thankful for 98°, the point is that it's not always a lot cooler even in the mountains. It will certainly be better at night, but still, not 40° F cooler.

Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I was there 10 years ago? I'll have to look that up, with my family. My son was looking at a college in Phoenix and we decided to fly out, see the Grand Canyon, Berringer's crater, Sedona. It was 115, we were there in the summer. So much for 4000' but drinking water and being in shape left me feeling fine, my family, not so much. I had to park about a mile from where we were eating lunch. I told them I'd go get the van, they opted to walk with. They made it and slept as we continued north. At the Grand Canyon it was 119 at Brite Angel Point and Beautiful. Because it is long, deep and has many crooks, you can see the Grand Canyon and it makes sense, you can frame it. 121 at Berringers where my family went back to the gift shop and I tried to grasp the size of the crater. It was like sitting too close to an IMAX screen. Just couldn't take it in. I wanted to stay there till I could but alas my phone was fully charged and they had three phones to harass me with. Wanted to go there since the 3rd grade, want to go back but know I probably never will.
    When I got back to Sky Harbor airport to fly back to KC it was 121 degrees in Phoenix but it was a dry heat. Except under my arms, crotch, feet, nose. The ravens soaring at Brite Angel point were great fun to watch. The Canyon itself, massive. After we left, a couple hours later, a young man passed out and died from dehydration. Drink water, drink Gatorade BUT drink water mostly. A bottle of Gatorade a day will be enough.

Man, that crater is a big hole.

• + New Posts